University Library home page Architecture Library home page International Cultural Center Library Southwest Collection - Special Collections Library
Texas Tech University Libraries University Library home page Architecture Library home page International Cultural Center Library Southwest Collection - Special Collections Library Branch libraries navigation bar

Aaron, Todd
Collection, 1947-1976
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

The collection consists of material relating to the Aaron Company, a drilling company located in Midland, Texas: a Price Schedule (1976), a pocket calendar (1947), a pocket price booklet (1972), and a Byron Jackson Inc. Decimal book (1962).
Todd Aaron is the owner of the Aaron Drilling Company in Midland, Texas. He has been in the Texas oil business for many years.

Abbe, Donald R.
Papers, 1860-1980
2,543 leaves

Includes correspondence, literary productions, printed material, and numerous research materials used in preparation of Abbe's thesis, The History of Lynn County (1974), and dissertation, Austin and the Reese River Mining District: Nevada's Forgotten Frontier (1982). The collection bulks (1860-1977) with manuscripts and research material.
Abbe, an historian, educator, and writer, was born in 1949 in Chicago, Illinois, and moved to Tahoka, Texas in 1963. He was awarded B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees by Texas Tech University, and also taught and worked with the Center for Historic Preservation and Technology at Texas Tech University.

Abbe, Donald R.
Papers, 1992
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Collection contains research papers from Dr. Abbe’s students who attended ARCH 3314 class at Texas Tech University.  Abbe was a professor at Texas Tech University. He was also a historian and an expert in historic preservation.

Abbe, Mildred
Papers, 1968-1975
362 leaves

Contains general and personal correspondence, newsclippings and other printed items, plus agendas, reports and other documents relating to the South Plains Area Governments and the Regional Health Advisory Council.
Abbe, a resident and civic leader of Tahoka, Texas, served on the Regional Health Advisory Council, a subdivision of the South Plains Association of Governments.

Abernathy, Lee
Papers, 1996
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Contains a written article titled "Early Days in Belle Plaine," by Lee Abernathy. Lee Abernathy presented the paper to the Belle Plaine Cemetery Association in 1996. At one time Belle Plaine in Callahan County was a flourishing community but now it is a ghost town.  Click here for further details.

Abbott, Ernest T.
Papers, 1901-1905
1 microfilm reel (3 ft.) : negative

Includes contracts, papers of receivership, naturalization papers, and bank checks. A rancher and businessman in San Angelo, Abbott emigrated to West Texas from Great Britain.

Abbott, James D.
Papers, 1939-1994 and undated
6 boxes (6 linear feet)

    Contains materials related to the implementation of the Great Plains Conservation Program and Texas soil conservation.  The materials include correspondence, reports, raw data, and printed material.  Of particular interest are the “Reader Files” that chronicle the evolution of Texas soil conservation policy.  The collection also includes books related to agriculture and soil conservation. 
    James D. Abbott is a career Soil Conservation Service employee, rancher, and agricultural consultant. Abbott grew up near Bradshaw, Texas. In 1947 he graduated from Texas Tech University with a B.S. Degree in Agronomy. In 1948, he received his M.S. Degree. In his 47 years with Texas soil conservation he worked as Assistant State Conservationist for Technology, Assistant State Conservationist for Programs, State Resource Conservationist, and Area Conservationist for both Lubbock and Abilene, Texas. For his contributions Abbott is generally recognized as the “Father of the Great Plains Conservation Program.” He has also received the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Superior Service Award, and Special Merit Award for Cost Reduction. Also, in 1974, he was recognized as a Fellow of the Soil Conservation Society of America. He retired from the Soil Conservation Service in 1994.

Abilene Chamber of Commerce (Texas)
Records, 1939-1960
2 microfilm reels : negative

Contains correspondence, programs, scrapbooks, magazine articles, newspaper clippings, maps and miscellaneous items relating to the two military bases near Abilene -- Camp Barkeley and Dyess Air Force Base. Of special interest are materials that concern the groundbreaking ceremony for Abilene (Dyess) Air Force Base in 1953. The Abilene, Texas, Chamber of Commerce was organized in 1890 as the Abilene, Texas Board of Trade, and over the years it collected materials on Camp Barkeley and Dyess Air Force Base.
Camp Barkeley, established near Abilene in December 1940, was in operation until March 1945. It was named after David D. Barkeley, who was killed in the Meuse-Argonne Campaign in World War I. Abilene Army Air Base was in operation during World War II and closed in 1947 but reactivated as Abilene Air Base, a strategic air command installation, following the outbreak of the Korean War. Dedicated in April 1956, it was renamed in honor of William Edwin Dyess, a World War II hero who died in a plane crash in December 1943.

Abilene Chamber of Commerce (Texas)
Records, 1909-1973
16 microfilm reels : negative

Included are minutes of the Young Men's Booster Club, the 25,000 Club and other small clubs that later merged with the Chamber of Commerce, plus scrapbooks of newspaper clippings concerning Abilene's history.
The Abilene Chamber of Commerce was organized in 1890 as the Abilene Board of Trade with Louis C. Wise as president. It became the Abilene 25,000 Club in 1896. Over the years several other local clubs were formed, which later merged into the present Chamber of Commerce.

Abney, Dewitt Fleetwood
Papers, 1929-1951
1,160 leaves

Includes accounting ledgers and sales and employee records pertaining to Abney's car dealership. Also includes records of Abney's defense savings-bond investments.
Born in 1886, Abney attended Howard Payne College, and graduated from Southwestern University in 1909. He owned a car dealership in Brownwood, Texas, during the depression and World War II years. His son, Mark Lyle, worked with him in the dealership.

Abney, James Addison
Papers, 1838-1916
875 leaves

Includes correspondence and legal and financial materials pertaining to Abney's land acquisitions and his activities as president of Citizen's National Bank of Brownwood. The collection bulks with legal and financial material including land deeds, vendor's liens, abstracts of title, surveys, and assignments. Of special interest is a Republic of Texas headright land-grant (1837).
Abney was a confederate soldier, rancher, physician, and bank president. Born in 1846 in Tennessee, he moved to Texas after the Civil War to study medicine in Galveston, and begin a practice in Angelina County. Abney married Susanna Elizabeth Davis in 1868, and the marriage produced three children: Dewitt Fleetwood, Fred, and Edna May. Abney later moved to Brown County and became a rancher and physician. He founded the town of Winchell in 1902, and also founded, and served as the first president of, the Citizen's National Bank of Brownwood, Texas in 1906. Abney died in 1947.

Acequias of Saint Antonio
Collection, 1973 and undated
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

    Collection includes research notes on Grist Mill and Alamo Madre, rough drafts of drawings of Upper Labor. Alazan, and Valley Ditches, and correspondence concerning the research to produce a publication on the Acequias of San Antonio by the Texas Tech: Civil Engineering, History, and Architecture departments.
    The Texas Tech Civil Engineering, History, and Architecture departments collaborated to produce the Acequias of San Antonio maps. They deal with the aqueducts and irrigation system used in the settlements of San Antonio between 1718-1730s. Some are still in current use today.

Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (Lubbock, Texas Chapter)
Records, 1973-1999 and undated
3 boxes (5 linear feet)

    Collection contains files detailing the activities of the Lubbock (Texas) Chapter of the Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS).  Files include membership files, photos, poster boards, scrapbooks, hand notes, brochures, information on Salado, Texas Trip, long range planning files, and minutes of meetings.  The files do not represent a complete run of the organization.  The poster boards (16 items) have materials such news clippings and photos on fund raising events such as polo games, fashion events, and auctions, also past ARCS scholarship recipients, the Salado, Texas trip (1998), and their 25th Anniversary. 
    The Lubbock Chapter of the Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) was founded by Fran Carter in 1972 and she served as its first president.  The organization awards scholarships to outstanding students in a leading science field at Texas Tech University and Lubbock Christian University.  Fran Carter was influenced after she discovered other chapters from cities throughout the U. S.  The organization has had thirteen presidents and the current president is Linda Edwards.

Adams, Arthur
Papers, 1925-1928
1,000 leaves

Includes correspondence, literary productions, lists, photographs, and legal, financial, printed, and scrapbook materials pertaining to Adams' business and philanthropic activities and interests. The collection bulks with correspondence, lists, and scrapbook material pertaining to Jewish relief organizations, Jews in Texas, and refugee and migration movements.
A fund raising director, investor, and philanthropist, Adams was born in 1895 and studied economics at the Sorbonne in Paris and at University College in London. He became the director of the Southwest Campaign Bureau of Dallas in 1925. Adams actively invested in the real estate, oil, and stock markets, and was involved in fund-raising and membership drives for various charitable Jewish organizations. He also served as the Texas field representative for the United Jewish Campaign (1926).

Adams, Horace F.
Family papers, 1870-1921
799 leaves

Includes financial and legal materials, correspondence, and scrapbook material pertaining to Horace F. Adams and family. Also includes genealogies of the Hull and Franklin families (1798-1883).
A farmer, carpenter, and certified public weigher, Adams was an early settler of Terry County, Texas. He moved to Gomez in 1905 and then to Brownfield in 1910. The Adams family "F" cattle brand was registered in 1905. Adams died in 1925.

Adams, Otto Vincent
Papers, 1931-1961
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Collection contains a paper on the world communist movement and scrapbook material such as calendar sheets, award letter, and membership cards. The paper was presented to the Higher Party School of some communist organization in 1961. Mr. Adams was a professor and Dean of Engineering from 1927-1955 at Texas Technological College.  Click here for further details.

Adams, Ramon Frederick
Papers, ca. 1963
101 leaves

The collection consists of an edited manuscript draft for Adams' section of The Book of the American West.
Author and collector of Southwestern literature, Adams was born in 1889 in Moscow, Texas, and was educated at Austin College in Sherman, Texas, from which he later received an honorary doctorate in literature. He married Allie Jarmon in 1912. Adams authored, edited, and contributed to 30 books on Southwestern subjects including Burs Under the Saddle, Rampaging Herd, and Six Guns and Saddle Leather. He died in 1976.

Aderton, M. J. "Bud"
Papers, 1927-1994 and undated
2 boxes (2.5 linear feet)

     The bulk of the collection relates to “Bud” Aderton’s city council election campaigns and activities as a council member.  Materials include correspondence, maps, printed material, and news clippings.  The conversion of waste energy is addressed in a VHS video recording.
     A native of Illinois, M. J. “Bud” Aderton came to Texas in the 1930s.  He attended the University of Illinois and the University of Utah and is listed as a member of the Class of 1930 at Texas Tech University.  Aderton worked as an engineer for West Texas Gas Company and later helped establish the engineering partnership of Snook and Aderton and Combustion Services in Lubbock, Texas.  After retiring from business, Aderton became active in local politics, serving on the Lubbock City Council from 1978 until 1984 and again from 1990-1994.  Through his duties with the city, Aderton became a supporter of efforts to generate energy through combustion of trash and waste.  He died in October, 1994.

Adobe Oil and Gas Corporation (Midland, Texas)
Records, 1968-1984
620 leaves

The collection bulks with company annual reports (1968-1983) and Securities and Exchange Commission Reports (1975-1983). The collection also includes a clipping file (photocopied) from 1968 to 1984 on company events, activities, and milestones.
The Adobe Oil and Gas Corporation is an oil exploration, development, and production company operating from Midland, Texas. Formed in 1960, B. J. Pevehouse hoped to create an oil management company which could handle all phases of oil field development from exploratory drilling to production for both clients and the company. Chiefly active in the central Plains states, by the 1970s Adobe had operations across the country and had substantial investments in Canada, Ecuador, East Africa, and the North Sea. By the 1980s, Adobe had emerged as a diverse company active not only in oil, gas and mineral exploration, and development and production, but also as the owner of natural gas processing plants and an oil refinery, coal producer, processor, and marketer, uranium prospector, and operator of intrastate gas pipelines. The 1980s saw the company successfully weather the oil industry downturn, but B. J. Pevehouse stepped down as president. In the late 1980s, the company changed its name to Adobe Resources.

Adolphus Hotel (Dallas, Texas)
Records, 1910-1970
1 microfilm reel (25 ft.) : negative

Includes scrapbooks containing advertisements, newspaper articles, correspondence, and financial papers relating to the history of the Adolphus Hotel.
The 20-story Adolphus Hotel was constructed in downtown Dallas, Texas, by beer magnate Adolphus Busch between 1910 and 1912. Since its restoration to its original grandeur in 1981, the hotel has remained a popular attraction.

Aerial Photo-Maps, Lubbock County, Texas
Collection, 1965
227 oversized photo-maps (24 linear feet)

    Collection of oversized 31" x 31" black and white aerial photographs of Lubbock County taken in October and November of 1965 when the vegetation had gone dormant for the winter. Each map represents a ground area of approximately three square miles. Scale: 1 inch = 502 feet. Small objects such as buildings, houses, vehicles, and tress can be resolved.  For further details, click here:  LubbockMaps1.

Agricultural Catalogs
Collection, 1993-1995
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Collection bulks with an official program of the Farmer-Stockman Show, in Lubbock, Texas, in 1995. There are also three John Deere catalogs.

Agricultural Chemicals Conference
Records, 1955-1961
2 wallets (0.2 linear feet)

Consists of information about Agricultural Chemical Conferences. It also contains material relating to chemical fertilization experiments and related agricultural techniques.

Agriculture
Papers, 1908-1959 and undated
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Bulks with newclippings and photographs of agriculture in Texas and the United States. There are also pamphlets on agriculture.

Aguero, Bidal
Papers, 1949-1988 and undated
8 boxes (7.3 linear feet)

    This collection consists of personal, financial, business records, activity records with civil rights, social service organizations, and governmental agencies pertaining to Bidal Aguero's activities.  For further details click here:  Aguero.
    Bidal Aguero attended Texas Tech University and the University of Wisconsin. Aguero was the founder of COMA (Commerciantes Organizado Mexicano-Americanos) and worked with several civil-rights and social service organizations, notably La Raza Unida Party and Defensa, Inc. He is currently editor of El Editor, a Hispanic newspaper published in Lubbock, Texas.

Albert, Alva Elma Mullins
Papers, 1991-1993
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Items include some probate records (1993) and a will (1991) of Alma Elva Mullins Albert.   Mrs. Albert was a native of Austin, Texas who did genealogy research on her family.  She compiled the book “Sandoval.”

Albidrez, Daniel
Papers, 1927-1957
54 leaves

Includes correspondence and ledgers. Bulks (1927-1957) with material relating to Albidrez's position with a Mexican-American burial society in Lubbock, Texas. The collection also includes a 1934 population census of the Guadalupe barrio in Lubbock. The collection is in Spanish.
An early Hispanic leader in Lubbock, Texas, Albidrez was born in 1896 in Balmorhea, Texas. He moved to Lubbock in 1912 and, in 1926, helped organize the Los Socio del Sementerio as a support group for the residents of the Guadalupe barrio, or colonia Mexicana, in Lubbock. Albidrez served as the organization's secretary.

Albright, James F.
Papers, 1933-1968
1 box and 1 scrapbook (2 linear feet)

Collection concerns management of Cokesbury Book Store in Dallas, Texas, and Mr. Albright’s retirement in 1968.  Abright was the manager of Cokesbury Bookstore, in Dallas, Texas, from 1946-1968. He was instrumental in promoting the Southwest Book Fair and he was the chairman of the American Booksellers Association in 1965. Cokesbury Bookstore was recognized in 1949 as the largest retail bookstore in the United States.

Aldous, Herbert
Papers, 1881-1941
1 microfilm reel (30 ft.) : negative

Includes correspondence, financial and legal documents, personal diaries, printed articles, and miscellaneous items pertaining to the Panhandle livestock industry and Aldous' role in it.  Aldous was a rancher in the Texas Panhandle region.

Alexander, Joann Edwards
Papers, 1879-2001 and undated
3 boxes (3.0 linear feet)

     The bulk of the collection consists of material pertaining to the business interests of Joseph E. Alexander.  Subjects covered include land sales in Cochran County, mineral interests, and oil production.  Business files mostly contain correspondence, legal documents, and maps.  Water well files contain details of drilling and maintenance of water wells on Alexander family farms in Hockley County, Texas.  Material relating to the Edwards family includes correspondence and memorabilia as well as Joann’s writings on mental illness.  For further details click here:  JEAlexander.
     Joann Edwards Alexander is the daughter-in-law of the late Joseph E. Alexander, a prominent oilman and real estate promoter in West Texas in the early to middle 20th century.  He played an important role in the development of West Texas, especially the area around Levelland, by encouraging others to buy land in the area.  Joseph and his brother Charles, acting as agents for the Yellow House Land Company, encouraged the beginning of the farming community known as Pep, Texas.  In addition to land sales, Alexander’s interests included oil-related businesses and farming.  Joann Edwards was born in Lynn County in 1926.  Her father Marcus H. Edwards farmed and her mother Nettie was a music teacher in Tahoka.  Joann received degrees from John Tarlton Agricultural College and North Texas State Teachers College and later married F. Joab Alexander, Sr.  She has been a long-time resident of Hockley County and Levelland, Texas.

Alford, Howard
Papers, 1953-1955 and undated
1 box (1 linear foot)

The collection consists of payroll records detailing the cost of hiring Mexican Nationals as field workers through the Bracero Program from 1953-1955.  The payroll records denote hours worked, pay rate, employee’s name, dates, and their weekly wages.
Howard Alford worked as a farmer from 1945-1973.  He used Mexican Nationals as laborers to hoe fields and pick cotton on his farm located southwest of Lubbock near 98th Street and Slide Avenue, Route 4.  His payroll records give an idea as to the cost involved in hiring laborers through the Bracero Program.

Allee, James Milton
Papers, 1886-1963
1 microfilm reel (25 ft.) : negative

Includes two Sheriff's day books and a scrapbook containing newsclippings pertaining to Crowell, Texas.  Allee served as sheriff in Crowell, Texas.

Allee Ranch
Papers, 1996
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Contains an oral history transcription and a paper written by Diane S. Lebel for HIST 3315 held during the Spring of 1996 at Texas Tech University. The interviewee was Dale Allee and the paper was on the Allee Ranch. The Allee Family history begins in Parker County, Texas where they later moved to Hammon, Oklahoma and finally to Beulah, Colorado in 1915. The Allee Ranch located in Colorado is a ranch acquired by the Allee Family in 1952. It was once called the Ruddy Ranch and part of Goodnight’s holdings in the 1800s. Originally 4000 acres, it grew to 5560 acres by 1960.  For further details, click here:  Allee.

Allen, Louise
Papers, 1884-1963
2,507 leaves

Contains typewritten histories of Texas county newspapers by Mrs. Allen's students, plus newsclippings and papers, index cards, lists, and typewritten essays pertaining to pioneer journalism in Texas. There is also one photograph and a Shelter Belt bibliography pertaining to forestry in Texas.
Born December 28, 1903 at Childress, Texas, Allen received a B.A. from Southern Methodist University in 1924 and an M.A. from the University of Missouri in 1949. She married James G. Allen in 1928 and had one son, James Jr. She began teaching in the Texas Technological College Journalism Department in 1930, giving instruction in agriculture and home economics journalism courses. Louise Allen published her "Lipstick Logic" column in area newspapers from 1947 to 1975, and retired from teaching in 1963.

Allen, Rosa
Papers, 1862-1945
5 microfilm reels : negative

Includes business records, financial and legal documents, maps, and newsclippings related to the Allen family's business activities and connections.
Allen was a daughter-in-law of Samuel W. Allen, owner of one of the oldest and largest ranches in southeast Texas. The Allen Ranch site has become the present-day commercial area of Houston.

Allen, Samuel E.
Papers, 1870-1978
1 microfilm reel (100 ft.) : negative

Includes blueprints, correspondence, financial and legal material, newsclippings, printed articles, and scrapbook items all pertaining to Allen's business and church interests.
Allen was the son of Samuel W. Allen, owner of one of the oldest and largest ranches in Southeast Texas. The Allen Ranch site eventually became the present-day commercial area of Houston, while the ranch house was moved to Galveston Bay where it became Camp Allen of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas.

Allison, Alvin R.
Papers, 1946-1985
5,575 leaves

Bulks with correspondence, minutes, and memos related to Allison's tenure as Hockley County Judge, Texas Tech Regent, and his role in the creation of the Red Raider Club and the Texas Tech Law School. Includes several printed items on Texas Tech, newsclippings, and early correspondence with Price Daniel.
An attorney and Texas Tech University Regent, Allison was born in 1908 in Kopperl (Bosque County) Texas, and received his B.A. at Texas Technological College in 1930. He practiced law with the Allison and Allison law firm in Levelland, Texas. His other activities included: a county judgeship in Hockley County, Texas, 1938-1940; founder of Red Raider Club, 1951; helped establish the Texas Tech Law School while Vice-Chairman of the Texas Tech Board of Regents; and was President of the Texas Tech Law School Foundation. An honorary doctor of law degree was conferred on Allison by Texas Tech University in 1981. Allison died in Levelland, Texas, June 28, 1987.

Alpha Lambda Delta
Records, 1962-2008 and undated
3 boxes (2 linear feet)

The records of the Alpha Lambda Delta collection contain membership information, scholarship material, account summaries, and newsletters related to Alpha Lambda Delta chapters and their activities and events primary at the Texas Tech University Chapter, but also in other chapters throughout the United States. Such activities include leadership workshops and social events, as well as awards given to members.
Alpha Lambda Delta was founded in 1924 by the Dean of Women, Maria Leonard, at the University of Illinois to recognize academic excellence among freshmen women. One year before, Dean Thomas Arkle Clark had founded Phi Eta Sigma, an honor society to recognize academic excellence among freshmen men. Both groups operated as single sex organizations until the mid-1970s when they both became coeducational in response to Title IX. At the first meeting of the chapter, Florence Finn, president of the society, presented a passage from Plato’s Republic in which Socrates asks the question, "Will they hold torches and pass them to one another...?" This idea, together with the symbol of a candle and the concept of sharing the love of learning with others, caught the imagination of the charter members.
The honor society soon became a national organization through the chartering of chapters at Purdue University in 1926, at DePauw University in 1927, at the University of Michigan in 1927, and at the University of Oklahoma in 1929. The first national convention was held in 1930 on the campus of the University of Illinois. Conventions were suspended during the depression years because of travel expenses. The third convention was held in 1938 at the University of Michigan. A decision was made at that convention to suspend holding a national convention and to invest those funds into establishing a graduate fellowship fund. The first fellowship was awarded to Louise Houssiere for graduate study at MIT in 1940.
The Association of College Honor Societies was organized in 1925 to consider matters of mutual concern to member organizations; Alpha Lambda Delta has been active in the Association since its admission to membership in 1939. In 1976 in response to Title IX, the National Council voted for the Society to become coeducational. In 1981, the first two male members of the National Council were installed.
Alpha Lambda Delta has continued to be innovative and responsive in recognizing academic excellence by providing Senior Certificates and the Maria Leonard Senior Book Award since 1939, offering workshops since 1978, recognizing outstanding chapters with the Order of the Torch Award since 1989, recognizing an Outstanding Adviser of the Year since 1990, and taking advantage of technology by posting a national web site in January of 1997.
Alpha Lambda Delta has continued to celebrate academic excellence among first year students and has grown to over 260 chapters and has initiated over 850,000 students. The National Council which governs the organization has prudently invested the resources and gifts from local chapters, national council members, former fellowship recipients, and friends of the Society over the years so that the Perpetual Fellowship Fund as of 2013 exceeded $3 million and can provide income to support 35 undergraduate scholarships of $1,000-$3,000 each, 23 graduate fellowships from $3,000 to $7,500. The fellowships are named for significant people in the history of the Society including the founder, Maria Leonard, the first adviser, Gladys Pennington, two Executive Directors, and several national presidents.
In 2008, the National Council authorized the creation of ten new awards for ALD members embarking on study abroad programs: the James G. Stemler Study Abroad Scholarships. These ten new awards will provide $1,000 in direct financial aid to ALD members who are pursuing international study - ALD's way of assisting students in developing the global outlook needed in the 21st century's global economy. The Study Abroad Fellowships are named after former ALD National President James G. Stemler, the first male president of Alpha Lambda Delta and a vocal proponent of study abroad.
The Lubbock Chapter of Alpha Lamba Delta was founded in 1949 and is still active as of 2013.

Alpine Chamber of Commerce (Texas)
Records, 1934-1976
1 microfilm reel (110 ft.) : negative

Contains minutes of Board of Directors' meetings, news releases, financial documents, programs of work, a printed brochure, and scrapbook material.
The Brewster County Chamber of Commerce was organized in 1907 as the Alpine Business Men's Club to create a viable school district and promote Alpine as an area business center. In 1910, the Club was reorganized as the Brewster County Commercial Club, and later as the Chamber of Commerce. It was instrumental in securing a railroad line and establishing Sul Ross Normal School, now known as Sul Ross University.

Amalgamated Association of Street Railway Employees of America. Local 84 (Houston, Texas)
Records, 1897-1901
1 item, ca. 128 leaves

Contains a minute book covering the dates which pertains to meetings of the Amalgamated Association of Street Railway Employees of America, 1897-1901.
This was a labor union for street railway employees that was founded in 1892. Division 84 was based in Houston and represented the Gulf Coast Region. Its members were involved in the 1900 strike against the Electric Street Railway Company of Houston, Texas.

Amarillo Hotel (Amarillo, Texas)
Records, 1949-1950
1 item, 165 leaves

Consists of a reservation book for 1949-1950.
Built in 1889 by Henry B. Sanborn, the Amarillo Hotel was managed by W. P. Hardwick until 1894, then by W. Wetsel until 1901. The hotel was then purchased and managed by H. P. Canode of Chicago, who later replaced the original wood building with a brick structure. The original building was moved from Polk Street to Third and Van Buren streets where it was destroyed by fire on March 10, 1927. The hotel was rebuilt at 300 Polk Street where it remained until closing in 1965.

Amarillo National Bank (Amarillo, Texas)
Records, 1902-1906
1 microfilm reel (25 ft.) : negative

Contains collection register and register of drafts drawn.
Organized in 1892, with A. H. Woods as president, Amarillo National Bank opened for business in a building annex of the old Amarillo Hotel, but in 1894 moved to its present location at 4th and Polk, in Amarillo, Texas. Pioneer banker B. Tol Ware started his banking dynasty here. The present 16-story building was erected in the early 1970s.

American Agriculture Movement
Records, 1968-1997 and undated
7 boxes; 1 linear foot of A/V material (8 linear feet)

     The American Agriculture Movement (AAM) Records contains a variety of materials concerning the history of the movement, particularly concerning its origins. A variety of personnel and organizational directories are also present, as are meeting minutes and accounts of local, regional, and national AAM meetings. A small amount of financial material is present, including incorporation records. Newspapers published by the AAM, as well as a number of mainstream newspapers, are present, along with several folders of photographs, several large scrapbooks, and a small amount of audio and visual material. Finally, many folders of correspondence are included, mostly between Norman and Mary Harper and various politicians, as well as significant AAM figures.
     The American Agriculture Movement (AAM) was formed in 1977 in response to Congressional legislation entailing four years of farm prices below the cost of production. In many states, farmers organized protests, strikes, pickets, boycotts, and marches on state capitols and on Washington, D.C. (1977-1979). In February 1979, thousands of farmers converged on Washington, D.C., in a tractorcade organized by AAM. Following this event, the AAM established a Washington office to bring farmers' voices to Congress and the Administration. Many of the materials relate to Norman and Mary Harper of Kansas, who were involved with the movement.

American Angora Goat Breeders Association
Records, 1900-1975
4 microfilm reels : negative

Contains correspondence, minute books, photographs and scrapbook materials, all arranged chronologically and pertaining to the activities of the American Angora Goat Breeders' Association at Rocksprings, Texas.
The Association was organized at Kansas City, Missouri, in 1898 for the purpose of keeping records to show the pedigree of all Purebred Angora goats, to issue certificates of registration on each animal, and to record all transfers of ownership of goats registered. Its headquarters moved to Sabinal, Texas in 1924 and then to Rocksprings, Texas in 1926.

American Association of University Women. Lubbock Chapter (Lubbock, Texas)
Records, 1925-1962
2,200 leaves

Contains meeting minutes and scrapbook material. Bulks (1925-1955) with scrapbook material that contains printed material and news clippings.
The organization is dedicated to solving community educational problems, promoting social interaction, and cooperating with the work of the national organization. The Lubbock Chapter was founded January 2, 1926, by college educated women and female faculty members of Texas Technological College. Elizabeth Howard West issued the initial call. A preliminary planning meeting was held in December 1925, and began with 26 charter members. In a special project started soon after its creation, the chapter raised scholarships and loan money for young Lubbock women. During World War II, it organized the Lubbock War brides. In 1949, the chapter helped Texas Technological College secure AAUW accreditation.

American Association of University Women
Records, 1969-1977 and undated
2 wallets (0.2 linear feet)

Collection bulks with material on the American Association of University Women. The material consists of news bulletins of the Texas and Sweetwater divisions, national newsletters, and directories of the El Paso division.

The American Association of University Women’s purpose is to promote unity among women who work, study, or administer in a university community in any capacity.

American Association of University Women (Lubbock, Tex.)
Papers, 1928-1981
3 boxes (1 linear foot)

This collection contains material on the American Association of University Women Lubbock division. Material consists of scrapbooks and literary productions.

American Brahman Breeders Association
Collection, ca. 1964-1966
52 leaves

Includes printed materials, brochures, pamphlets, and registration rule books pertaining to the American Brahman Breeders Association.
Organized in 1924 to establish a system of registration and to encourage the production of Brahman cattle, the American Brahman Breeders Association is the official organization of Brahman cattle breeders in the United States and is based in Houston, Texas.

American Civil Liberties Union, Lubbock Chapter
Records 1963-1994 and undated
2 boxes (2 linear feet)

     Collection of paperwork and materials relating to the Lubbock chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, though also including material from the state and national levels of the organization primarily from the 1970’s. It contains letters, flyers, pamphlets, news clippings, legal forms, directories, minutes and notes from Board meetings, and other materials. There are also references and documentations of court cases in Lubbock from the 1960’s and 70’s, involving students from both Lubbock high school and Texas Tech University on topics ranging from dress code regulation to segregation and the Catalyst Newspaper.
     The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is a nonpartisan non-profit organization whose stated mission is "to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to every person in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States."  It works through litigation, lobbying, and community education. Founded in 1920 by Crystal Eastman, Roger Baldwin and Walter Nelles, in 2010 the ACLU has over 500,000 members and has an annual budget over $100 million. Local affiliates of the ACLU are active in all 50 states and Puerto Rico. The ACLU provides legal assistance in cases in which it considers civil liberties to be at risk. Legal support from the ACLU can take the form of direct legal representation, or preparation of amicus curiae briefs expressing legal arguments (when another law firm is already providing representation). This collection pertains to its Lubbock Chapter.

American Council of Learned Societies
Collection, 1956-1964
1,078 leaves

Includes correspondence and printed material pertaining to the organization and its activities that relate to universities in West Texas. The collection bulks (1958-1964) with newsletters and annual reports. Correspondence consists primarily of letters from colleges and universities in the West Texas area describing their humanities programs and coursework.
Founded in 1919 to promote advancement of the humanities, the American Council of Learned Societies represents about 30 societies and associations, and serves as the voice for the International Union of Academics. The Council publishes Speculum and The Journal of the History of Ideas, and also helps administer the Fulbright Program.

American Ex-Prisoners of War (Texas Dept.)
Records, 1945-2002 and undated
3 small boxes (1.0 linear foot)

   This collection contains manuscript materials related to the American Ex-Prisoners of War experiences in German and Japanese prison camps during World War II.   Also includes materials on the National Prisoners of War Museum at Andersonville, Georgia.  The Texas chapters of the AEPOW have chosen the SWC/SCL as their official repository for their records.  For further details, click here:  AEPOW1.  Additional materials are added to this collection from time to time.

American Ex-Prisoners of War (Texas Dept.)
Records, 1940-1999 and undated
4 boxes and 14 scrapbooks (10 linear feet)

    The important items included diaries and individual stories written by Americans captured during World War II and the Korean War.  Also comes with correspondence, newsletters, and twelve scrapbooks pertaining to the activities of the Texas Chapter of the American Ex-Prisoners of War.  For further details, click here:  AEPOW2.
    The American Ex-Prisoners of War (AEPOW) is a national organization for American citizens captured during any war.  The    organization includes over 300 chapter and state departments with over 30,000 members.  It was established on April 14, 1942 as The Bataan Relief Organization but was renamed in 1949.   The Texas Chapter of the AEPOW has chosen the SWC/SCL as their official repository.

American Ex-Prisoners of War (Texas Dept.)
Records, 1929-2002 and undated
2 boxes (1.3 linear feet)

    This collection contains information gathered on prisoner of war grave locations compiled by the American Ex-Prisoners of War (Texas Department).  It also includes a file on the WAAC Hunter and Henry P. Shotland’s crew, the Goliad massacre of James W. Fannin’s command, and a booklet entitled History and Rhymes of the Lost Battalion by L. C. McCollum (1929).  For further details, click here:  AEPOW3.
    The American Ex-Prisoners of War (AEPOW) is a national organization for American citizens captured during any war.  The organization includes over 300 chapter and state departments with over 30,000 members.  It was established on April 14, 1942 as The Bataan Relief Organization but was renamed in 1949.  The Texas Chapters of the AEPOW has chosen the SWC/SCL as their official repository.

American Ex-Prisoners of War (Texas Dept.)
Records, 1863-1981
1 box (1 linear foot)

The collection contains POW cemetery records and one booklet, a memoir entitled “To D-Day and Back” by Robert L. Bearden.
The American Ex-Prisoners of War (AEPOW) is a national organization for American citizens captured during any war.  The organization includes over 300 chapter and state departments with over 30,000 members.  It was established on April 14, 1942 as The Bataan Relief Organization but was renamed in 1949.  The Texas Chapters of the AEPOW has chosen the SWC/SCL as their official repository.

American Harp Society
Collection, 1969-1976
556 leaves

Includes correspondence and printed material pertaining to the activities of the American Harp Society and its members, and bulks (1973-1976) with printed material which are primarily issues of the American Harp Journal. Of particular interest is a composition entitled "Windmill Sketches," composed by Gail Barber of Texas Tech University.
Founded in 1962, the American Harp Society is open to harpists, students, and those interested in the advancement of harp education, performance, and composition.

American Institute of Architects (Lubbock, Texas)
Records, 1986
21 leaves

Contains 1986 honors nominations for the Texas Society of Architects.
The Jubilee 75 Committee and Lubbock Heritage Society were nominees sponsored by the Lubbock, Texas Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA).

American Legion. Auxiliary. Allen Brothers Post No. 148 (Lubbock, Texas)
Records, 1918-1985 and undated
1 box and 1 oversized item (2.0 linear feet)

      This collection contains some correspondence, a ledger of expenses, some news clippings, and four scrapbooks of the activities, history, and items collected from members of the American Legion Auxiliary, Allen Brothers Post #148 of Lubbock, Texas.  For further details, click here:  AmericanLegion.
      An auxiliary for American Legion Post 148, the organization was chartered in 1925. The post was founded in 1919-1920 and named in honor of Philip Simpson Allen and Roland Terrell Allen, Lubbock veterans of World War I who were killed in action in France. Charter members of the auxiliary included Mrs. George Brewer, Mrs. A .B. Slagle, Mrs. C. F. Stubbs, Mrs. C. P. Collier and Miss Mae Murfee. The purpose of the organization is to bring together ex-servicemen of the Lubbock, Texas area.

American Legion. Auxiliary. Post No. 269 (Brownfield, Texas)
Records, 1932-1936
41 leaves

      Consists of scrapbook material pertaining to the activities of American Legion Auxiliary Post No. 269 during the depression.
The American Legion Auxiliary Post No. 269 of Brownfield, Texas, was named for William Guyton Howard, a Brownfield native who was killed in World War I. The charter for the auxiliary was reinstated March 18, 1930.

American Red Cross. Brownwood, Texas, Chapter
Records, 1939-1973
19,353 leaves

     The collection contains information on the chapter's work during World War II and Texas disaster relief projects. Includes correspondence, general office files, and financial material pertaining to the activities of the American Red Cross chapter of Brownwood, Texas. Also includes printed material of the American Red Cross (1943-1964).
     The Brownwood, Texas, chapter of the American Red Cross has been involved in disaster relief, first aid and safety training, military liaison, and war production.

American Suffolk Sheep Association
Records, 1930-2010 and undated
13 boxes and 138 ledgers (148 linear feet)

     The American Suffolk Sheep Association (ASSA) Records consist primarily of 138 ledgers, loose pages from ledgers, and microfilm all documenting every registered Suffolk sheep since ca. 1930. Numerous Flock Books documenting sheep owners and livestock are present as well. Additional boxes of material contain financial records, board meeting minutes and similar administrative material, and correspondence relating to the affairs of the organization. Records pertaining to the relationship between the ASSA, the United Suffolk Sheep Association, and the National Suffolk Sheep Association, as well as their eventual merger, are also contained within the collection.
     Information on events, trainings, and educational sessions for adults and youth are included. Almost ½ linear foot on the disease “scrapie” and the ASSA’s efforts to combat it are included as well. Finally, several boxes of data discs (CDs, DVDs, ZIP discs, and others) are present, along with a small amount of audio-visual material.
    
Founded in the early 20th century, the American Suffolk Sheep Association (ASSA) documented and registered all Suffolk sheep in the western United States until its merger in the 1960s-1970s with the National Suffolk Sheep Association. At present, the United Suffolk Sheep Association now manages much of the sale, breeding, and documentation of Suffolk sheep throughout the U.S. Their mission is “to define, register, promote and improve the Suffolk breed to provide leadership for the advancement and future of the entire U.S. Sheep Industry.”

Anderson, Betty Price
Papers, 1957-1977 and undated
5 boxes (5.0 linear feet)

     Includes general materials concerning the civic and political activities of Betty Anderson. The collection bulks (1957-1976) with materials pertaining to the Urban Renewal Agency, the Lubbock Planning and Zoning Commission, the Rape Crisis Center, Head Start, and others.
     Born in 1933 in Waxahachie, Texas, Anderson was awarded a B.A. by North Texas State University (1954) and an M.A. by Texas Tech University (1973). Anderson's civic activities include work with the Citizens' Advisory Commission, the Urban Renewal Agency, Head Start, the Rape Crisis Center, the Lubbock Area Advisory Committee, the Lubbock Planning and Zoning Commission, the Texas League of Women Voters, and many other local, state, and national organizations.

Anderson, Betty Price
Papers, 1961-1996 and undated
5 boxes (5.0 linear feet)

      The collection includes general materials concerning the civic and political activities of Betty Anderson.  Featured topics are desegregation of Lubbock Independent School District, South Plains Food Bank, Texas Constitutional Revision Commission, and events associated with the Women's movement and Equal Rights Amendment, United Nations Decade for Women, and International Women's Year.  Additionally, the collection includes material from Anderson's work with other boards and commissions supporting and promoting issues of public interest.  For further details, click here:  BAnderson1.
      Born in Waxahachie, Texas, Betty Price Anderson was awarded a B.A. by North Texas State University (1954) and an M.A. by Texas Tech University (1973).  Anderson has held office in numerous state and local organizations, including the League of Women Voters of Lubbock, League of Women Voters of Texas, and American Association of University Women, and continues her activities in supporting and promoting the social, health, and welfare concerns of women, children, the elderly, and the disabled.

Anderson, Catherine
Papers, 1878-1977 and undated
2 boxes (2 linear feet)

The collection consists of genealogical material such as birth and death certificates, newspaper clippings, correspondence, directories, financial material, journals, legal material, and related printed material. All of these relate to the family history of the Anderson family.
This collection deals primarily with three daughters of Dr. William H. Anderson (1857-1930), of whom Catherine Anderson was one. They are close older cousins to Gertrude C. Suppe (see Related Collections). Dr. Anderson was a physician in Texas and Eastern Washington in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He served as a small-town doctor in Montague County, Texas, as the head of a politicized state mental institution near Spokane, Washington, and as a country doctor in Littlefield, Texas.

Anderson, Charles
Papers, 1884
1 microfilm reel (2 ft.) : negative

Consists of a paper read before the Cincinnati Society of Ex-Army and Navy Officers, Jan. 30, 1884, one of several pamphlets of speeches he delivered and published.
Born in 1814 in Louisville, Kentucky, Anderson graduated from Miami University in Ohio. Admitted to the bar in 1843, he was elected to the Ohio State Senate in 1844. Anderson settled in Texas in 1859 and established what later became the Argyle Hotel in San Antonio, where he bred cavalry horses for the U. S. Army. Arrested by Colonel Henry McCullock because of his pro-Union sympathies, Anderson escaped in October 1861, and fled back to Ohio, where he became colonel of the 93rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was elected lieutenant governor of Ohio in 1863 and governor in 1865-1866. Anderson wrote various pamphlets and speeches on the cause of the Civil War. He died in 1895 in Paducah, Kentucky.

Anderson, Darlene E.
Papers, 1928-1984
2 boxes and 10 scrapbooks (4.0 linear feet)

     The collection is mostly comprised of scrapbooks and scrapbook materials from Darlene Anderson’s participation in Lubbock civic organizations and some from her husband’s military experiences during World War II.  The scrapbooks contain photographs, souvenirs and mementos, news clippings, post cards, programs, and letters showing the life of Darlene Abbott Anderson from her childhood school years in Lubbock, Texas, college years at Texas Technological College, vacation times, and civic activities.
     Darlene E. Abbott Anderson was Lubbock’s Woman of the Year in 1979.  She has been active in the Lubbock community from the 1960s to the1980s through organizations such as the Lubbock Women’s Club, Ranching Heritage Association, and the Women’s Division of the Lubbock Chamber of Commerce.  She was married to Hugh Allen Anderson (Sr.) a veteran of World War II, who is now deceased.  He was a business professor at Texas Tech University.  They had one son, H. (Hugh) Allen Anderson.

 

Anderson, H. Allen, Sr.
Papers, 1965
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

It contains news clippings, college course materials, and several printed materials. Hugh Allen Anderson, Sr. was a professor of Economics at Texas Technological College. He was born in Anson, Texas and served in the Air Force from 1942-1946.
Click here for further details.

Anderson, John B.
Papers, 1892
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Collection pertains to a letter written by John B. Anderson to Mr. and Mrs. Crane. The letter is a proposal asking for their daughter, Emma’s, hand in marriage.  Click here for further details.

Anderson, R. S.
Papers, 1951-1954
401 leaves

Bulks with financial material, such as daily record books, inventory, and payroll records, store license, and tax records pertaining to the Anderson Service Station and Sun Grocery.
A resident of Silver, Texas, Anderson operated the Anderson Service Station and Anderson Sun Grocery.

Andrews, Ruth Horn
Papers, 1878-1979 and undated
3 boxes (3.0 linear feet)

     The collection contains material generated by Ruth Horn Andrews, her father Paul W. Horn, and Ruth’s husband Joseph Frank Andrews.  The contents include personal correspondence, legal material, manuscripts, speeches, printed material, and scrapbooks.  The bulk of the collection consists of correspondence and research notes Ruth Andrews used in writing The First Thirty Years: a History of Texas Technological College (1956).  For further details, click here:  RHAndrews.
     Teacher and author Ruth Horn Andrews was born in 1893 in Jasper, Tennessee.  Her father, Dr. Paul Whitfield Horn, was the first president of Texas Technological College.  She received B.A. and M.A. degrees from Texas Technological College where she taught English (1933-1943).  In 1943, she married Joseph Andrews and moved to New York City where she taught at New York University. She published The First Thirty Years: a History of Texas Technological College, 1925-1955 in 1956. Ruth Andrews died in 1986 in New York.

Andrews, Warren P.
Papers, 1946-1956
9 leaves + 3 items

Includes correspondence pertaining to an award received from the Texas Bankers Association. Also includes the medal and plaque from the Texas Bankers Association and a certificate from the Save the Children Federation.
Andrews was president of the Texas Bankers Association (1921-1922), and was awarded the King's Medal for service by King George VI of England for duties performed during World War II. He also received a Certificate of Merit by the Save the Children Federation.

Animas Valley Growers Association
Records, 1957-1979
1 small box (0.3 linear feet)

      This collection contains some correspondence, financial records, legal records, and printed material of the business activities of the Animas Valley Growers Association of New Mexico.  The Animas Valley Growers Association is a cooperative between the farm producers living in the Animas Valley of far southwest New Mexico.  They promoted the growth of common cash crops and the distribution of their products.  After 1972, they no longer existed as a business organization.  For further details, click here:  Animas.

Anna Zip Oil Association (Brownwood, Texas)
Records, 1917-1920
168 leaves

Contains correspondence and financial and legal documents pertaining to the formation, business activities, and liquidation of the Anna Zip Oil Association.
This was an unincorporated joint stock association formed on July 12, 1918, for the purpose of drilling oil wells near Brownwood, Texas, and selling crude oil to refineries. The association was liquidated in 1920.

Annual Reports
Collection 1980-1992
7 boxes (7 linear feet)

Collection contains various annual reports of U.S. corporations which detail their finances to stockholders.

Anonymous Texas Travel Log
Collection, 1877
1 wallet (0.1 linear ft.)

     The item in the collection is a pocket book with hand notes from an unknown writer of his journey from Ohio to Austin, Texas on August 15-22, 1877.  His descriptions are short.  The book also contains essays on emigration to Texas, summaries of Texas’s attractions such as soil and climate conditions, political speech (1884) on the Republican Party, and his opinion of the U.S. government, history and labor struggles.
     The anonymous travel log contains some hints to the writer of its content but it is difficult to decipher.  A note is written of a visit with G. W. Alston living near Ennis, Ellis County, Texas concerning a land purchase.  In fact several notes exist of land shopping in Texas.  The notebook contains about 52 pages of texts with most being prose compositions.

Anson Chamber of Commerce (Texas)
Records, 1942-1971
1 microfilm reel ( 125 ft.) : negative

Contains correspondence, general office files, financial and legal documents, personal notes, photographs, newsclippings, photographs, programs, a minute book, a copy of the Chamber's by-laws, and scrapbook material all relating to the Chamber's activities, including special events such as the "Anson Story" pageant, the Overland Centennial (1958), Jeannie C. Riley Day, and Anson's 90th Anniversary Celebration (1971).
The Anson Chamber of Commerce was launched in 1927 with Rex Ridell as its first president. Its annual activities include the Chamber of Commerce banquets and the Jones County Fair & Livestock Show.

Anson City Council (Texas)
Records, 1922-1975
1 microfilm reel (130 ft.) : negative

Contains minutes, financial statements, election notices, bills, bid notices, resolutions and ordinances which reflect the activities of the Anson City Council. There are five volumes of minutes books.
The Anson City Council was officially chartered on April 6, 1920, though the city government, headed by a mayor, goes back to 1904. However, few records of the period (1904-1920) exist of the city government's operations.

Anson Woman's Club (Texas)
Records, 1903-1976
4 microfilm reels : negative

Contains 13 minute books, 66 yearbooks, scrapbooks, newsclippings, programs and miscellaneous items concerned with the activities of the Anson Woman's Club.
The Woman's Club of Anson was organized in 1903, with Mrs. H. J. Grace as president and Mrs. C. C. Ferrell as program chairman. Among other things, the Club began the town's public library, which it also sponsors.

Anton City Council (Texas)
Records, 1931-1968
1 microfilm reel (55 ft.) : negative

Contains the minutes of meetings of the Anton City Council, plus the proceedings of the first official meeting of the town's Board of Commissioners.
Anton, Texas, located in northeastern Hockley County, was founded in 1924 on a Santa Fe Railroad switch in what was once the north pasture of the Spade Ranch.

Anton Townsite Company (Hockley County, Texas)
Records, 1924-1954
2,395 leaves

     Contains sales files, abstracts of title, financial documents, and school censuses pertaining to the activities of the Anton Townsite Company. The collection bulks (1924-1948) with land sale files.
     Anton, in Hockley County, Texas, was the first town developed from land sold by the Spade Ranch, a 262,000 acre ranch owned by barbed-wire manufacturer Isaac L. Ellwood. Land selling began in 1924 and continued until 1967, when the company was dissolved. Ed M. Hart served as first assistant sales manager and then as a manager (1924-1967).

Appleton Rifle Club (Appleton, Texas)
Records, 1942-1949
24 leaves

     Contains a journal for club rifle meets.  A private organization affiliated with the National Rifle Association. The club competed in shooting tournaments during the 1940s.

Archer, Michael Wade
Papers, 1924-1995 and undated
3 wallets (0.3 linear feet)

     Includes sketches of humorist Michael W. Archer’s political cartoons, artwork, and copies of news articles written while he was a student at Dalhart High School, Amarillo Junior College, and Texas Tech University.  Michael W. Archer is a Texas Tech graduate majoring in Mass Communications. He is the creator of the "Whatever" Calendars, which first came out in 1994. He considers himself an artist and a cartoonist.  He is currently living in Amarillo, Texas.

Achievement Rewards for College Students (ARCS), Lubbock Chapter Records
Records, 1972-2004 and undated
1 box (1 linear foot)

     Includes news clippings, correspondence, and some financial records regarding the events and parties of the ARCS chapter of Lubbock. Mainly regards records of yearly scholars and their awards, as well as notice of research. The largest section of the collection encompasses material surrounding the 2003 ARCS National Meeting held and hosted in Lubbock, with comparative notes on the Seattle National Meeting the year before.
     The Lubbock Chapter of the Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) was founded by Fran Carter in 1972 and she served as its first president. The organization awards scholarships to outstanding students in a leading science field at Texas Tech University and Lubbock Christian University. The creation of the organization was influenced by Dr. Grover E. Murray, former president of Texas Tech and professional geologist, after he discovered other chapters from cities throughout the U.S.

Achievement Rewards for College Students (ARCS), Lubbock Chapter Records
Records, 1972-2012 and undated
7 boxes (6.5 linear feet)

     The Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) Records contain correspondence, newspapers and clippings, photographs, scrapbooks, and a handful of artifacts. It also contains a large amount of varied printed material including local and national board agendas and minutes, documentation of national meetings, scholarship information, and anniversary celebrations. Grant applications to various organizations including the Moody Foundation and the Helen Devitt Jones Foundation are also present. Finally, scrapbooks and artifacts comprise 2 boxes of the collection. All of these materials document the over-forty-year history of ARCS, particularly the Lubbock, Texas Chapter.           
    
The Lubbock Chapter of the Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) was founded by Fran Carter in 1972 and she served as its first president. The organization awards scholarships to outstanding students in a leading science field at Texas Tech University and Lubbock Christian University. The creation of the organization was influenced by Dr. Grover E. Murray, former president of Texas Tech and professional geologist, after he discovered other chapters from cities throughout the U.S.

Arista, Mariano
Papers, 1840
1 microfilm reel (1 ft.) : positive

     Includes a broadside, dated August 6, 1840, at the Headquarters in Matamoros, issued by General Arista to the Cherokees, Shawnees, Wacos, Kickapoos, and other Indian tribes in Texas.
     Born in 1802 in San Luis Potosi, Mexico, Arista joined the Puebla regiment and advanced to brigadier general and made commandant general of Tamaulipas and general of the Mexican Army of the North in 1839. He put down attempts to establish the Republic of the Rio Grande in 1840 and, also in that capacity, commanded the Mexican forces in the battles of Palo Alto and Resaca de la Palma in May 1846. Arista became Mexican Secretary of War in 1848 and was declared the constitutional President of Mexico in 1851. He was exiled in 1853 near Lisbon, Portugal, where he died in 1855.

Arizona and Ohio
Collection, 1922-1926
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

     The collection contains a photo album with 134 b & w photographs, all 3 x 5 inches with captions.  The photographs document images taken of buildings, nurses and soldiers, events and surrounding grounds at the National Military Home Central Branch in Dayton, Ohio and buildings, nurses, homes and recreational activities and scenic parks in Arizona.  The last few photographs show a Los Angeles trip.
     The photographs were taken by an as-yet-unidentifiable female U. S. Army nurse but possibly by Miss Nicholson and her older nurse colleague and companion Hattie to document their tours of duty in Ohio and Arizona.  They were in Ohio from 1922-1924 and in Tucson, Phoenix and Prescott, Arizona from 1925-1926.  It is believed that Hattie retired from nursing in 1925and lived out the rest of her life in Arizona. 

 

Armstrong, Mollie Wright
Papers, 1909-1964
1,363 leaves

Includes correspondence, legal, financial, and printed material, literary productions, charts, photographs, and scrapbook materials pertaining to Dr. Armstrong's career as an optometrist in Brownwood, Texas. The collection bulks (1933-1964) with business and personal correspondence, which includes a signed letter from Helen Keller.
An optometrist and civic leader, Mollie was born in 1875 in Bell County, Texas, and began her optometry practice in 1899 in Brownwood, Texas, as the first woman optometrist in Texas. She served on the State Board of Optometry Examiners for 25 years, was the director of the Brownwood Chamber of Commerce, was a member of the State Democratic Executive Committee, and organized the Business and Professional Women's Club of Brownwood. After retiring at age 89, she wrote a history of optometry in Texas. Mollie Armstrong died in 1964.

Armstrong, Pat McGready
Papers, 1896-1970
2 microfilm reels : negative

Includes correspondence concerning Armstrong's business affairs and activities with various organizations. Newsclippings, a pamphlet on Will Rogers State Park, a dedication program of 1st Methodist Church-Waco 100th birthday, certificates, a map of Methodist Church locations in San Antonio, and a copy of Truman E. Moore's, You, A Father Figure?, which is about the Menninger Foundation of Topeka, Kansas, are also included.
The son of an East Texas oil driller, Armstrong started in that occupation before serving as a Texas Ranger during the East Texas oil boom years. Later he became a Methodist minister. Armstrong also published a book entitled Representation on the Life of a Man.

Armstrong, Robert Wright
Papers, 1868-1975
35,699 leaves

Includes correspondence, photographs, financial and legal material, scrapbook and printed materials, literary productions, and memorabilia pertaining to Armstrong's business, political, and personal activities. The collection bulks with correspondence (1922-1966) and railroad materials (1868-1966). Also of interest is correspondence concerning the illegal confinement of Earl G. Phillips to an insane asylum, and his problems and conditions at the asylum.
Armstrong was a railroad executive, civic leader, veteran, musician, and university board member. Born in 1892 in Brownwood, Texas, he served in World Wars I and II, and later became vice-president of the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad. In addition to serving on the Board of Directors of Texas Technological College from 1961-1966, he also held memberships in the Committee of Governing Boards of State Supported Universities, Texas Transportation Institute, West Texas Chamber of Commerce, Brownwood Chamber of Commerce, Texas Heritage Foundation, and American Society of Traffic and Transportation. Armstrong was also active in music with Al G. Fred's Minstrels, Neil O'Brian’s Minstrels, and the Old Gray Mare Band of Brownwood. He died in 1966 in Fort Worth, Texas.

Arnett, D. N.
Papers, 1866-1939
4 boxes (4.0 linear feet)

Includes personal and business correspondence, financial and printed material, and literary productions. The collection bulks with personal and business correspondence (1908-1909), general files (1866-1939), and financial records pertaining to Arnett's career as manager of Ellwood's ranching business (1895-1917). Some of the correspondence was written by J. Frank Norfleet, foreman of the Spade Ranch from 1891-1904, which details weather and business concerns of ranch life.  For further details, click here:  DNArnett.
Arnett was a West Texas rancher, trail boss, ranch manager, and banker. Born in 1847 in Milam County, Texas, he served in the Civil War as Texas Home Guard, joined the regular Army (CSA) in 1864, and became a Texas Ranger in 1867. He began "trailing cattle" in 1870, was employed as "trail boss" by D.H. and J.W. Snyder from 1877-1879, and became the manager of the Snyder's Yellow Wolf Ranch in Coke County, Texas, in 1881. By 1882, Arnett had acquired his own ranch, the Scissors Brand Ranch, in Mitchell County, Texas. From 1891-1912, he worked as the manager of the Renderbrook and Spade Ranches owned by barbed wire manufacturer, Isaac L. Ellwood. Later, Arnett raised cattle near Colorado City, Texas, and helped organize the City National Bank of Colorado City, Texas, where he served as bank vice-president. He died in 1934 in Colorado City, Texas.

Arnold, Gazzie Burkett
Papers, 1886-1985
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

    The main item is a diary compiled by Gazzie Burkett Arnold of Pin Oak, Texas.   It is accompanied by a genealogy of the Burkett and Arnold Families.  The Burkett Genealogy was compiled by Ruby Millicent Burkett Fisher.  It is accompanied by copies of wills.
    Gazzie Burkett Arnold was born on May 8, 1864 in Moulton, Lavaca County, Texas.  She died in 1921 at Whitehall, Texas.  Her husband was James Thomas Arnold whom she married in November 15, 1882.  Her parents were Nathaniel Boone Burkett and Catherine (Bunting) Burkett.  Her father was a Texas pioneer and Texas Ranger.

Arnold, Richard
Collection, 1902-1975
927 leaves

Includes printed materials and notes used in the research of Arnold's thesis, "The History of Adaptation of Cotton to the High Plains of Texas, 1890-1974."  Arnold received an M.A. in History from Texas Tech University in 1975.

Arthur, Lane
Papers, 1909-1984
7 microfilm reels : negative

Includes correspondence, campaign contributions and expenditures, and legal materials.   Lane and Nancy Arthur were active in Lubbock city and county government.

Arthur, Lane and Nancy
Papers, 1913-1984 and undated
4 boxes (4 linear feet)

    The papers contain hand written notes, transcripts of proceedings, news clippings, affidavits, correspondence, voter registration and census information, and subpoenas dealing mostly with the Single Member District Discrimination Suit in Lubbock, Texas. Also includes files on campaign contributions.  For futher details click here:   Arthur.
    The papers deal with the Single Member District Discrimination Suit of Lubbock, Texas. It effected the way minorities were represented in the city and county government of Lubbock based on population growth in certain precincts. Lane and Nancy Arthur served as attorneys for the plaintiff-intervenors. They were also active in the Lubbock City and County government.

Aryain, Edward
Papers, 1973-1996
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Collection consists of a literary production, "From Henna to Seminole" by Edward Aryain, Sr. documenting his immigration from Syria to the U.S. and correspondence from his sons. Edward Aryain, Sr. became a successful businessman in Seminole, Texas.   Click here for further details.

Ashby, Clifford
Papers, 1977
191 leaves

Includes manuscript of Trouping Through Texas, plus printed material on the 1977 Folk Culture Symposium, Tent Show Biographical Information Sheets, and Texas art.
Ashby was a Texas Tech University professor of Theater Arts. He co-authored (with Suzanne DePauw May) the book, Trouping Through Texas: Harley Sadler and His Tent Show (1982).

Ashby, Clifford
Papers, 1983
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Collection includes theatre scripts, budgets, contracts, and related printed materials pertaining to the theatre arts. Also includes personal handwritten letter from Sylvia Ashby. Dr. Clifford Ashby is Professor Emeritus of Theatre Arts at Texas Tech University and a noted tent show scholar.

Ashby, Clifford
Papers, 1915-1991
1 box and 4 wallets (1.4 linear feet)

Contains correspondence pertaining mostly to the production of "The Vi-Ton-Ka Medicine Show" and a portion of the shooting script for "Midnight Cowboy." The collection also contains museum brochures, a firearm collector’s catalogue as well as theatre programs and miscellaneous correspondence.  Click here for further details.
Ashby was a Texas Tech Professor of the Theatre Arts. He also co-authored (with Suzanne DePaw May) the book, Trouping Through Texas: Harley Sadler and His Tent Show (1982).

Ashby, Clifford
Papers, 1998
1 box (1 linear foot)

Collection includes two draft copies of a manuscript entitled "Classical Greek Theatre: New Views of an Old Subject" with handwritten notes. Dr. Clifford Ashby is Professor Emeritus of Theatre Arts at Texas Tech University and a noted tent show scholar. In December 1998, the manuscript was published by the University of Iowa Press.

Ashby, Clifford
Papers, undated
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Collection is a set of Haynes Souvenir Postcards of Yellowstone National Park with 48 cards. Dr. Clifford Ashby is Professor Emeritus of Theatre Arts at Texas Tech University and a noted tent show scholar.

Ashby, Clifford
Papers, 1978-1997
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

The collection is comprised of materials from two theatre productions.   Buzzard, written by Dr. Ashby, was performed in 1978 at the Lubbock Theatre Center. The second work represented in the colleciton is Ion, as adapted by Dr. Ashby and presented by The Lubbock Community Theatre in 1997. The materials include scripts, production notes, playbills, and programs.  Related collections include the Clifford Ashby Video Collection and Clifford Ashby Photograph Collection.

Ashby, Sylvia
Papers, 1964
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Contains publications on the Texas Tech Theatre European Tour of 1964 and a copy of the play, Liebermnan’s Laundromat by Barry Corbin.
Sylvia Ashby is the wife of Dr. Clifford Ashby, Professor Emeritus of Theatre and Dance at Texas Tech University. She was named one Lubbock, Texas’ Women of Excellence in 1993.

Ashby, Sylvia
Papers, 1966-1995 and undated
1 wallet (0.2 linear feet)

Collection of correspondence for the Women of Excellence Award, Granbury Opera House, Lubbock Women of Excellence, and Stage Productions publications, and miscellaneous materials.
Sylvia Ashby is the wife of Dr. Clifford Ashby, Professor Emeritus of Theatre and Dance at Texas Tech University. She was named one Lubbock, Texas’ Women of Excellence in 1993. The Granbury Opera House was built in 1886 and closed in 1911. In 1975 it re-opened and has since provided entertainment to the public in the form of theatrical plays.

Ashby, Sylvia
Papers, 1987-1991 and undated
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

The collection primarily deals with Sylvia Ashby’s literary production, including a play script to Tales Told by the Brothers Grimm.  Sylvia Ashby is the wife of Texas Tech professor, Clifford Ashby. She dramatized the play Tales Told by the Brothers Grimm. Her play was performed by Monterey High School in Lubbock, Texas.

Ashby, Sylvia
Papers, 1957-2013 and undated
1 box (1 linear foot)

The Sylvia Ashby Papers contain flyers, correspondence, newspaper articles, and other material regarding Lubbock theater as well as theater in other communities. Research materials regarding Dr. Clifford Ashby’s interest in traveling tent shows is also present. A very small amount of materials are related to miscellaneous other subjects reflecting Dr. Ashby’s varied interests and personal life.
Sylvia Ashby is the wife of Dr. Clifford Ashby, Professor Emeritus of Theatre and Dance at Texas Tech University. Dr. Ashby became interested in tent shows while a graduate student, which explains the presence of tent show flyers and related material among these papers. He co-authored a book with Suzanne Depauw May entitled Trouping Through Texas: Harley Sadler and His Tent Show (Bowling Green, Ohio: Bowling Green State University Popular Press, 1982.)

Askins, John
Papers, 1956-2006,
a College Baseball Hall of Fame Collection
6 boxes (6 linear feet)

     A component of the College Baseball Hall of Fame Collection of the College Baseball Foundation Archive, the collection consists of items John Askins collected in conjunction with his reporting duties and through his former and current professional associations. The majority of the collection is comprised of college and university baseball media guides and press releases from 1978-2006 and material relating to the establishment and administration of the Smith Award.
     A graduate of Texas Tech University, John Askins is a sports journalist, former Executive Director of the Greater Houston Sports Association, current Executive Director of the College Baseball Hall of Fame and a member of the College Baseball Foundation Board of Trustees. Askins has made major contributions to several award programs that promote recognition of excellence in college baseball including the Rotary Smith Award, the Brooks Wallace National Player of the Year Award, and the College Baseball Hall of Fame, administered by the College Baseball Foundation. Formed in the fall of 2004, the College Baseball Foundation is a charitable organization dedicated to the support of college baseball through promotion of its history and recognition of its cultural influence and to the creation of opportunities for players and fans.

Association of Oilwell Servicing Contractors (Dallas, Texas)
Collection, 1963-1965
75 leaves

The collection consists of printed material pertaining to the Association of Oilwell Servicing Contractors conventions of 1963, 1964, and 1965.
Founded in 1956 as a voluntary, non-profit trade organization whose membership includes individuals and businesses from all oil-producing areas of the United States, the association works to solve technical and operating problems. The Association of Oilwell Servicing Contractors is headquartered in Dallas, Texas.

Association of Women Students (Texas Technological College)
Records, 1968 and undated
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

    The collection contains a scrapbook of the Women’s Day banquet and activities at Texas Tech in 1968 plus a few loose photographs of the event. It also contains some undated photographs.  The Association of Women Students was organized on the Texas Tech University campus in 1931 by Mary W. Doak, Margaret Weeks and the Quarterly Club, a faculty women's organization. The organization holds an annual Women's Day celebration, during which all Tech coeds wear white.

Aston, Rogers Reginald
Papers, 1946-1980
6 microfilm reels : negative

Consists of material documenting Aston's water related activities and associations. Included are correspondence, speeches, news clippings, minutes, reports, and other items about the Pecos Valley Agualantes, the National Water Conference. Aston's filing system has been maintained.
Aston is a New Mexico rancher and artist known for his bronze sculptures. He is also involved in issues and organizations involving water conservation for the upper Pecos Valley.

Atascosa County Centennial (Texas)
Records, 1856-1956
1 microfilm reel (20 ft.) : negative

Consists of an official centennial program and history of Atascosa County.   Atascosa County, Texas, organized in 1856, celebrated its centennial anniversary of that event in 1956.

Atcheson, Atkinson, Cartwright and Rorex
Collection, 1978
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

     The item is a single booklet of a Project Index of Atcheson, Atkinson, Cartwright and Rorex, that includes building projects built from the period 1939 to 1977 by the architectural firm.
     The Project Index includes buildings constructed in Lubbock and Texas Tech University such as the Lubbock Municipal Airport (1948) and Texas Tech's Student Union (1951).  Other building projects located in numerous cities are listed as well.  The firm began with James Atcheson in 1939.  Over the years the firm’s name changed to accommodate other architects such Atkinson in 1949, Cartwright in 1956 and finally Rorex in 1972.

 

Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Santa Fe Splinters, Collection, 1830-1940
7 microfilm reels : negative

Consists of 41 volumes, including typescript and photocopies of Santa Fe Records (1830-1940). Includes reports, correspondence, lists, clippings, photographs, and financial documents describing the development of the Santa Fe and subsidiary lines. Most material is arranged by routes of the railroad. The collection includes construction histories of the various lines and constitutes the official scrapbook of the Santa Fe Railway System, which was compiled by Joseph Weidel. General introductory statements on the compilation of the Splinters precede the title page of each of the forty-one volumes.

Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Records, 1874-1986 and undated
27 boxes, 5 oversized boxes, and 4 books

    Contains Dispatcher's Record ("train sheets"), correspondence, printed material, scrapbook material, architectural drawings, time tables (1966-1971), 1948 rule book, 2 chronological seniority rosters (1966-1971), news bulletins (1968-1971) and other operations material. Correspondence material includes 3 letterpress books (1874-1878, 1879-1882 and 1882-1884). The bulk of the collection consists of architectural drawings (1909-1973) which deal with Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe (ATSF) depots, office buildings and businesses.  Also includes business correspondence with the Slaton Division of the San Angelo Branch of the ATSF.  For further details click here:  ATSF.
    Chartered in 1859 as the Atchison and Topeka Railroad Company, it was renamed the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad Company in 1863. It then became the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company in 1893. The system grew to cover the area from Chicago, down to the Gulf Coast, and over to California. The Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe became part of the Santa Fe Railroad systems, a part of the Santa Fe Industries. The company was active in land colonization, townsite development, and transportation.

Athena Symposium (Lubbock, Texas)
Records, 1956-1958
50 leaves

Consists of minute book for 1956-1958.
A women's study club that was formed in Lubbock, Texas, in 1956. The purpose of the club was discussion and research on political, cultural, and psychological topics.

Athenaeum Club (Lubbock, Texas)
Records, 1923-1977
1,801 leaves

Contains correspondence, a handwritten history, financial reports, club minutes, printed notices, programs and miscellaneous scrapbook material. Also contains one photograph of club officers.
A Lubbock women's literary organization, the club was organized at the old First Methodist Church in 1923. Mrs. W. L. Baugh presided over the organizational meeting. Shortly after 1923, the club was federated by the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs.

Atkinson, David K.
Collection, 1989
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Literary productions of one oral history transcription compiled by Alice Stocks: Interview with David K. Atkinson on U.S. Steel (Atlantic City) Rail Line by Rev. Mark Jervis on Jan. 1, 1989.
The original interview recording on David K. Atkinson is housed at the Wyoming State Archives. The interview centers around Mr. Atkinson and his involvement with the U.S. Steel Rail Line in Atlantic City.

Ausmus, Lawrence
Family papers, 1905-1968
1,761 leaves

Includes correspondence, photographs, literary productions, and legal, financial, and scrapbook materials pertaining to the Ausmus' Colorado boarding house business, mining, and the education of Florence Ausmus. The collection bulks (1905-1968) with financial and scrapbook material and correspondence.
The Ausmus family lived in Colorado during the first half of the twentieth century. Margaret Ausmus ran boarding houses, while her husband, William, and son, Lawrence, worked in mines and on road construction crews. A daughter, Florence, attended Catholic school in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Austin, David, Jr.
Papers, 1838-1841
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

     The collection is composed of eleven letters written to David Austin Jr. while he was living in Tallahassee, Florida Territory.  The writers are his wife Rebecca, brother Abraham Austin, nephew William Price, and storekeeper John Besson.  Date span is November 18, 1838 to April 1, 1941.
     David Austin Jr. was a businessman and entrepreneur living in Florida.  One of his partners was a speculator named Flagg.  The relatives described in detail family issues and news from New York City.  They also mention the family’s connection to the Swartwout-Price scandal, which was the first million-dollar embezzlement of the United States government funds.  Samuel Swartwout and William Price were implicated in the crime;  they fled to Europe to escape punishment.

 

Avants, Douglas
Papers, 1930-1996 and undated
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Items include correspondence, milk bottle lids from 1930-1936, newsletter on the dairy industry. Douglas Avants has an interest in the Texas dairy industry and is a collector of dairy items.

Ayers, Ross
Papers, 1968-1973 and undated
3 boxes (2.3 linear feet)

     Contains general office files pertaining to Ayers' tenure as Adjutant General. These include: audits, birthday letter file, brochures on riot control movies, Student Body Presidents' conferences, constitution and by-laws of the National Guard Association, letters and travel orders regarding a trip to Germany, Inaugural thank-you letters, news clippings and correspondence regarding the National Guard and politics, personal and reading files, photographs, reports, retirement resolution from Armory Board, correspondence with Senator Margaret Chase Smith, Texas Tech Distinguished Alum Award, and travel vouchers.  For further details, click here:  RAyers.
     A World War II veteran, Ayers was the longtime commander of the Lubbock National Guard unit. He also served as Adjutant General of the Texas National Guard from 1968 to 1973.

 

     
TTU
Search
Workstation Use Policy
Contact the Library
Support the Library
 
Go to Texas Records and Information Locator Service (TRAIL), a state agency search service at the Texas State Library Go to TexasOnline, the main web site of the State of Texas
 

Disability, Privacy and Accessibility Resources

Copyright © 2003 Texas Tech University Libraries
18th St. and Boston Ave., MS 40002
Lubbock, Texas 79409-0002
(806) 742-2261, Fax (806) 742-0737