University Library home page Architecture Library home page International Cultural Center Library Southwest Collection - Special Collections Library
Texas Tech University Libraries University Library home page Architecture Library home page International Cultural Center Library Southwest Collection - Special Collections Library Branch libraries navigation bar

E

E. H. Small and Company (Shamrock, Texas)
Records, 1910-1911
1 microfilm reel (50 ft.) : negative

Contains a business ledger of the E. H. Small and Company store.
E. H. Small was among the first merchants in Shamrock, Texas, and opened his mercantile store in 1903.

E. K. Warren and Son, Inc. (Three Oaks, Michigan)
Papers, 1884-1973 and undated
10 boxes and 17 ledgers (15.0 linear feet)

    Includes correspondence, financial material, legal material, office files, and maps and charts accumulated from the Three Oaks, Michigan, office of E. K. Warren and Son. The collection deals primarily with the financial and legal aspects of Warren's ranching interests in Mexico, Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado. Of particular interest are records dealing with depredations suffered by company ranches in Mexico during the Mexican Revolution of 1910.  For further details, click here:  EKWarren.
    Manufacturers of buggy whips and corset stays, the company was founded by Edward K. Warren, who also invested in Southwestern Land and Cattle through the influence of his son, Charles K. Warren.

E. S. Graham Company
Records, 1839-1946
79,501 leaves

Contains correspondence, financial, legal and advertising material, photographs, and miscellaneous material. The collection bulks (1839-1941) with correspondence dealing with both business and family matters. Letters are divided into letters received and letters sent. Of special interest are photographs dating from the 1890s.
A diversified company with interests in sheep and cattle ranching, farming, coal mining, and land sales, the E. S. Graham Company was established in 1870. Land sales were the primary business of the company and were based on lands originally part of the Texas Emigration and Land Company properties. E. S. Graham purchased land in Young County and moved to Texas in 1869 to serve as an agent for the Texas Emigration and Land Company. He then formed his own company which was later managed by his sons and grandsons.

Earnest, Ara Hurst
Papers, 1907-1949
54 leaves

The collection includes photographs (ca. 1907) depicting the Earnest and Hurst families and a 1949 commencement program for Texas Technological College.
Born in 1890 in Brown County, Texas, Earnest's family moved to Yoakum County, Texas, in 1903. She married a rancher in 1908 and lived near Plains, Texas. The couple also lived in Panhandle, Lubbock, and Odessa, Texas.

Earnest, Gertrude Hofman
Papers, 1987-1976
1 microfilm reel (10 ft.) : negative

Contains genealogical information of Mrs. Earnest's family and an 1867 diary of a trip taken by William Koock to Germany and Mexico.
Earnest was related to the Hofman and the Koock families who operated the Hofman Dry Goods Store in Mason, Texas.

East Grand Plains Drainage District (New Mexico)
Records, 1913-1967
2 microfilm reels : negative

Consists of legal and financial reports from the East Grand Plains Drainage District to the Chaves County Commissioners Court.
Named for the community of East Grand Plains, the District is one of several water drainage districts in the Roswell Artesian Basin in Chaves County, New Mexico.

East Sweden, Texas
Collection, 1891-1969
1 microfilm reel (20 ft.) : negative

Consists of photographs and articles concerning East Sweden, Texas.
East Sweden, Texas was established in McCulloch County around 1885 by Swedish colonists.

Easter, Edith
Papers, 1890-1923
52 leaves, 1 item

Includes correspondence, postcards, high school commencement notices, and wedding announcements.
Mrs. Easter was a pioneer resident of Lorenzo, Texas.

Eastlake, William
Papers, ca. 1963
229 leaves

Contains a typed and corrected manuscript of Portrait of an Artist with Twenty-Six Horses, published by Simon & Schuster (1963).
An author and lecturer, Eastlake was born in 1917 in New York City and attended college in Paris, France. He published numerous novels, stories, and articles, which have been translated into thirteen foreign languages. His books include The Bronc People (1958), Portrait of an Artist with Twenty-Six Horses (1963), and Dancers in the Scalp House (1975). Eastlake also served as lecturer at the University of New Mexico and Writer-in-Residence at the University of Southern California.

Easton, Robert Olney
Papers, ca. 1963
150 leaves

Contains photocopied manuscript (ca. 1963) of Part Seven of The Book of the American West, entitled "Guns of the American West."
An actor, author, and educator, Easton was born in 1930 in California and educated at Harvard. His work has appeared in numerous magazine and anthologies. His books include Lord of the Beasts: The Saga of Buffalo Jones (1961), and Max Brand: The Big Westerner (1970). Easton also served as a faculty member of Santa Barbara City College.

Eaves, Charles Dudley
Charles Dudley Eaves-Cecil A. Hutchinson Papers, ca. 1938-1952
3,751 leaves

The collection bulks with a manuscript of Post City, Texas, and includes research notes and a financial document.
Eaves was an original Texas Technological College faculty member where he taught history from 1925 until his retirement in 1959. Eaves wrote his dissertation on C. W. Post, the founder of Post, Texas. C. A. Hutchinson, of the University of Virginia, prepared Dr. Eaves' dissertation for publication, conducting further research into the Double U Company and C. W. Post. The manuscript was published as Post City, Texas by the Texas State Historical Association in 1952.

Eberhardt, Jack
Collection, 1964
136 leaves

Consists of a 1964 Presidential election folder prepared for a social studies class, which contains brochures, newsclippings and other items on the election campaign.
Jack Eberhardt's son, Jimmy, created a 1964-election folder as part of a school social studies project. Lubbock County voted overwhelmingly for Lyndon B. Johnson in that election.
 
Ecumenical Council on Social Concerns (Lubbock County, Texas)
Records, 1968-1970
81 leaves

Contains correspondence, minutes, printed material, and reports pertaining to the Ecumenical Council. The collection bulks (1968-1970) with correspondence dealing with the social concerns of Lubbock, Texas.
A non-denominational council, the Lubbock council is concerned with public school desegregation, open housing, and educational equal opportunity in Lubbock, Texas.

Edenborough, Spencer Neville
Papers, 1884-1904
252 leaves

Includes store ledger, 1884-1904, of accounts which relate to a mercantile business.
Edenborough was a pioneer mercantile owner.
 
Educational Laboratories, Inc. (Texas)
Collection, 1935-1963
1 microfilm reel (50 ft.) : negative

Includes Douglas Coalson's 1941 manuscript on the history of the firm, articles and pamphlets on correcting visual difficulties in reading, manuals for reading machines, and brochures and programs on the Washington Square Reading Center of New York City.
Educational Laboratories, Inc. of Brownwood, Texas, was founded in the early 1930s and manufactured classroom reading equipment, which was invented by J. Lantis Taylor. A. Edward Lamb experimented with the new equipment in his Texas classroom.
 
Educational Laboratories, Incorporated

Records, 1933-1942
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Collection concerns the financial affairs of the Educational Laboratories, Inc. of Brownwood, Texas.
Educational Laboratories, Inc. developed eye-testing equipment for speed reading which was used in the Brownwood schools for a time. It later sold out to American Optical Company. Douglas Coalson, Secretary-Treasurer of the Walker-Smith Company, was the major stockholder.

Edwards, Bruce
Papers, 1844-1963, and undated
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

    Item is a diary of Edward's great-great grandfather or great-great-great grandfather detailing reminiscences of his activities.

Edwards, Caswell Overton
Papers, 1910
644 leaves

Consists of an abstract of title concerning land ownership of the T-Bar Ranch, Lynn County, Texas, from 1880-1910. Prepared by the Texas Title Company of Fort Worth, Texas, the abstract also contains records for the Lone Star Real Estate and Colonization Company.
Edwards was born in 1851 in Tarrant County, Texas. He took over management of the family's farm and ranch after the death of his father. In 1875, he purchased a ranch in Brown County, Texas, then moved to Lynn County, Texas, in 1883 and organized the Tahoka Cattle Company with Jasper Hayes and Colonel W. C. Young. Later, Edwards organized the C. O. Edwards and Son Cattle Company and operated the T-Bar Ranch in Lynn County, Texas.
 
Edwards, S. B.
Family papers, 1859-1917
61 leaves

The collection bulks with tax receipts, including poll, state, county, and confederate taxes. Also included is a receipt for power of attorney, and a brief literary production.
S. B. Edwards, a farmer, lived in Callahan County, Texas (ca. 1905-1916). B. W. Edwards lived in Washington County, Texas (1871-1877), Comanche County, Texas (1888), and Callahan County, Texas (1890-1902). Edward P. Elliot lived in Washington County, Texas (1859-1867).
 
Edwards, Wildring

Papers, undated
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Consists of three sets of notes taken by Wildring Edwards for the class, Food and Nutrition 131 offered in 1937 at Texas Technological College.
 

El Capote Ranch (Guadalupe County, Texas)
Records, 1830-1917
1 box (0.3 linear feet)

Photocopied probate records (1840-1847) from Gonzales County, Texas which detail property and their values from several wills.  Also include photocopied abstracts (1845-1917) dealing with the six leagues of land known as the El Capote Ranch in Gonzales County and legal material (1834-1877), including deed records and the will of Jose de la Baume, and correspondence (1845-1913) from the Erskine family, diaries and maps.  For details click here: ElCapote.
    The Capote Ranch refers to the Jose de la Baume’s ranch originally located 45 miles northeast of San Antonio.  Jose a French immigrant had built a log cabin which was relocated and restored on the Ranching Heritage Center in 1975.  It was provided by Wallace and Maurice Harrell of the Harrell Cattle Company.  Gonzales County, Texas located in South Texas was created in 1836 and organized in 1837.  It was named after Coahuila y Texas Governor Rafael Gonzales.  Its county seat is Gonzales.  The area was among the first to be settled by an Anglo-American settlement known as the DeWitt Colony late in the 1820s.  It main economy is agribusiness.
 
El Paso, Texas

Collection, 1952-1966 and undated
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

    Collection contains pamphlets and brochures on lifestyles and attractions in El Paso, Texas.  El Paso, Texas was settled in 1632, but the modern city known today was built in 1881 with the coming of the railroads.
 
El Paso Valley Cotton Association (Texas)

Records, 1953-1966
2,103 leaves

    Consists of correspondence, printed material, and scrapbook material concerning the Maid of Cotton contests and the Bracero labor program.
    This was an association of cotton farmers concerned with the promotion of cotton in the Texas counties of El Paso, Hudspeth, and Culberson. The association sponsored the area's Maid of Cotton contest and also handled the contracting of farm labor through the Bracero program from 1955-1965. The program was designed by Mexican president, Manuel Avila Comacho and U.S. president, Franklin Roosevelt to allow Mexican laborers (braceros) to serve as agricultural workers in the southwestern United States during World War II. In 1943, the program was expanded to include non-agricultural labor as well. In all, over 300,000 Mexicans participated in the program.
 
Eldorado Hardware Company (Eldorado, Texas)
Records, 1911-1966
25,018 leaves

Contains correspondence, financial material, lists, legal material, and printed material concerning the business activities of the Eldorado Hardware Company in Eldorado, Texas. The collection bulks with business correspondence and financial material.
The business was opened in 1910 by Ernest Hill and his father, D. C. Hill. In 1930, Ernest Hill became sole proprietor and managed the store until his death in 1968.
 
Ellebracht, Pat
Papers, 1970-2001, and undated
1 box (0.4 linear feet)

    Collection of mostly transcripts of various interviews conducted by Mr. Pat Ellebracht such as Charles Merritt and H. Ross Perot.  Also includes a manuscript entitled "Eastland County, Texas:  Its Colorful Past, 1917-1929" written by Mr. Ellebracht.  Also story on "The Santa Claus Bank Robbery" which occurred in Cisco, Texas on December 22, 1927.
    Mr. Pat Ellebracht was raised in Mason County, Texas.  He graduated with a MBA from Texas Tech University in 1954.  He was a professor of business at Northwest Missouri State University (now Truman State University) for 29 years.  He retired in 1996.

Elliot, Raymond
Papers, 1955-1971
823 leaves

    Consists of literary productions by Elliot pertaining to music education, including the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd editions of Fundamentals of Music.
    An educator and author, Elliot was born in 1904 in Cleburne, Texas. He served on the music faculty at Texas Tech University (1950-1969), and served intermittently as the chairman of music education. Elliot is the author of several books and articles on music education.

Elliot, Raymond
Papers, 1984-1993 and undated
1 box (0.3 linear feet)

    Collection contains written articles by Dr. Raymond Elliott on a mixture of music and Christianity.  Dr. Elliott is Professor Emeritus at Texas Tech University.   He has written music and commentaries on Christianity.


Elliott, Morris F.
Papers, 1916-1956
2 microfilm reels : negative

Includes Bishop Cecil Seaman's correspondence with Emmanuel Church, histories of the church, an obituary on Mrs. William L. Black, miscellaneous material on Reverend Edward Henry La Touche Earle, and resolutions.
Elliott was a longtime pastor of Emmanuel Episcopal Church in San Angelo, Texas. A native of Philadelphia, Elliott received his B. D. degree from Virginia Theological Seminary (Alexandria) in 1936 and assumed Emmanuel's pastorate in 1949. He died May 8, 1984, and was survived by his wife, Margaret Anna, and a daughter, Mrs. Barbara Ann Ricketts.
 
Ellis, Temple Ann
Papers, ca. 1939
120 leaves

Consists entirely of literary productions and bulks with a manuscript copy of Road to Destiny. Also includes two poems written by Ellis, which were donated to the collection by William Curry Holden.
A West Texas author, Ellis is the writer of several essays on the history of Lubbock and Lubbock County, Texas. She also co-authored A History of Crosby County, with her sister-in-law, Nellie Witt Spikes.
 
Ellison, Hubert
Papers, 1997
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

    Contains a manuscript titled “Memoirs of Hubert Ellison” written by Hubert Ellison and Lois Terry in 1997.  Lois Terry is the daughter of Hubert Ellison.  Mr. Ellison was born on February 11, 1901 and died in March 23, 1995.  Mr. Ellison’s family came from Acworth, Georgia and later moved to Oklahoma to the South Plains in Texas.  The “Memoirs” discuss Mr. Ellison’s recollections of the family’s pioneer days during the 19th and 20th centuries.  Click here for further details.

Ellwood, Isaac L.
Papers, 1878-1938
1 small box (0.3 linear feet)

    Includes and bulks (1878-1919) with financial material concerning Isaac L. Ellwood, of DeKalb, Illinois, and William L. Ellwood, of Lubbock, Texas, and their business activities. Also includes legal materials and correspondence, primarily concerning debt collections, and business affairs.  For further details, click here:  IEllwood.
    Co-inventor and manufacturer of barbed wire, businessman, and land owner, Ellwood was born in 1833 in New York. With his sons, William L. and Erwin P., he began purchasing Texas ranch lands in 1889, including the Spade and Renderbrook ranches. After his death in 1910, his sons, along with A. W. Fisk, managed the estate. Beginning in 1924, portions of the Spade Ranch were sold for farming and colonization.
 
Ellwood Estates

Records, 1860-1966
58,268 leaves

    Contains correspondence, financial and legal material, photographs, printed material, and scrapbook material concerning the business operations of Ellwood Estates and the Ellwood family. The collection bulks (1878-1966) with financial material relating to Ellwood's ranching operations during his life time and the sale of farm properties after his death.  For further details, click here:  Ellwood.
    Ellwood Estates was formed in 1910 after the death of Isaac L. Ellwood (1833-1910). Ellwood, co-inventor and manufacturer of barbed wire, purchased the Spade Ranch (located in Lubbock, Hale, Hockley, and Lamb counties, Texas) in 1891, and the Renderbrook Ranch (located in Mitchell County, Texas) in 1889. The Ellwood Estates were formed from these ranch properties and were administered by Ellwood's sons, William L. (1859-1933) and Erwin P. (1874-?), and A. W. Fisk. Beginning in 1924, the Ellwoods sold portions of the Spade Ranch for farming and colonization.
 
Ellwood Farms

Records, 1900-1967
ca. 237,000 leaves

    The collection bulks with land sales records of the Ellwood Land Company containing deeds, abstracts, liens, correspondence, tax statements, mineral rights deeds, loan applications, foreclosure notices, right of way deeds, and oil leases. Also included are records of other land-related companies, including the Ropesville Farms Project (also called the Ropesville Resettlement project), and the Spade Land Company.  For further details, click here:  Ellwood2.
    Formed in 1924 after the death of Isaac L. Ellwood (1833-1910), co-inventor and manufacturer of barbed wire, who purchased the Spade Ranch in 1891 and the Renderbrook Ranch in 1889. In 1924, the Ellwood Farm Company began selling farm-size plots of Spade Ranch land. The business, based in Lubbock, Texas, for over forty years, was administered by William L. and Erwin P. Ellwood, sons of Isaac L. Ellwood, and by R. C. Hopping and T. B. Zellner. In 1946, the Spade Land Company purchased a portion of the Ellwood Farms land and operated it as the Ellwood Farm Company.

Emlea Smith Junior Study Club
Collection, 1962-1985
1 wallet (0.2 linear feet)

Collection of membership booklets from the Emlea Smith Junior Study Club of Morton, Texas from 1962-1972.  Also includes a booklet from the Texas Women’s Bowling Association 50th Anniversary (1985).
    The Emlea Smith Junior Study Club of Morton, Texas is affiliated with the State and General Federation of Women’s Clubs in Texas.  This study club is from the Caprock District.  They encourage fund raising for their local towns and contribute to hospitals and schools.

 
Emma, Texas
Collection, 1883-1976
1 microfilm reel (20 ft.) : negative

Includes correspondence, legal documents, printed material, and reminiscences concerning Emma, Texas.
R. L. Stringfellow and H. E. Hume organized Emma, Texas, in Crosby County in 1891. Emma later became a ghost town.
 
Emmanuel Episcopal Church (San Angelo, Texas)

Records, 1887-1972
1 microfilm reel (85 ft.) : negative

Consists of ten scrapbooks concerning the Emmanuel Episcopal Church and its history, activities, and parishioners. Scrapbooks contain newsclippings, correspondence, programs, brochures, magazines, manuscripts, and miscellaneous and research notes.
Emmanuel Episcopal Church began in 1884, largely through the efforts of a Ladies Guild which raised funds to purchase the lots for the original church building. The original church was designed by Oscar Ruffini and completed in 1888. It was replaced in 1927 with a stone structure.
 
Energy Information
Collection, 1960s-1990s
80 boxes (80 linear feet)

    Collection of printed material composed of news releases, news clippings, other publications, and pamphlets pertaining to energy resources and the energy industry in the State of Texas and City of Houston.  It also relates to energy resources found throughout the world.  For further details, click here:  Energy.
    The collection was managed by the W. I. Dykes Library of the University of Houston-Downtown.  It was used by patrons researching information on the energy industry.  Energy has played a major role in society and human evolution for thousands of years.  In the 20th Century, energy resources such as oil, water, gas not to mention lesser sources such as wind and solar have effect the economy world wide.  Energy resources have the potential to make or break an industrial nation.

Engdahl, Mrs. George
Papers, 1964
1 microfilm reel (11 ft.) : negative

Includes genealogical and scrapbook material concerning the Widen, Peterson and Engdahl families.
Mrs. Engdahl is the wife of George Engdahl, stock farmer and amateur historian near Brady, Texas, who is descended from Swedish immigrants who founded the community of East Sweden, Texas.
 
English, O.W.
Collection, 1869-1988
3 boxes (3 linear feet)

The collection contains a wide range of personal and professional materials belonging to pioneer physician, Dr. O.W. “Babe” English and/or his family.  Included are booklets, correspondence, religious publications, educational materials, newspaper clippings, souvenirs of trips, and financial documents.  For further details, click here:  English.
    Dr. O.W. “Babe” English came to Lubbock, Texas in 1926 and established his medical practice downtown, in the old Myrick Building.   He remained active in Lubbock medicine for the next 50 years and served on the staffs of the city’s major hospitals.  He owned the Two-Buckle Ranch in Crosby County.  He served in both World Wars and was a prominent Lubbock civic leader.  He was appointed to several offices in professional organizations.  Dr. English died in 1990.

English, Rosemary
Papers, 1887-1977
1 microfilm reel (25 ft.) : negative

Includes correspondence, charts, legal documents, photographs, literacy manuscripts, and printed items used in researching the history of the Kentucky Cattle Company, founder of the Two-Buckle Ranch.
English is married to Dr. Otis W. English, who purchased with his father, the Two-Buckle Ranch in Blanco Canyon near Crosbyton, Texas.
 
Erskine, Michael
Papers, 1830-1913
1 microfilm reel (30 ft.) : negative

Includes correspondence, legal and financial documents, diaries and literary productions concerning Michael Erskine and his family and the El Capote Ranch. A log cabin from the ranch was moved to the Ranching Heritage Center at Texas Tech University.
Born near Union, West Virginia, on January 9, 1794, Erskine married Agnus D. Haynes in 1817 and they had 10 children. They engaged in farming in Alabama and Mississippi before moving to Texas in 1839. In 1840, he purchased the De la Baume (Capote) Ranch on the Guadalupe River near Seguin. He served as Guadalupe County's first chief justice and, in 1854, drove a herd of cattle to California under military escort. Erskine profited greatly from the cattle business and again, in 1861, drove a herd of cattle to New Orleans. He died on the return trip at New Iberia, Louisiana, on May 15, 1862. Two of his sons, Andrew Nelson and Alexander Madison, served in the Confederate Army. Andrew was killed at Antietam on September 17, 1862.
 
Espuela Land and Cattle Company, Ltd.

Records, 1880-1979
31,711 leaves

    Consists of correspondence, legal documents, financial records and journals. The collection bulks (1885-1909) with financial records relating to the operation of the Spur Ranch. The correspondence includes several letters from leading ranchers, and the journals detail the daily routine of ranching.  For further details, click here:  Spur.
    The Espuela Land and Cattle Company, Ltd., a British syndicate, founded the Spur Ranch in the early 1880s. The ranch was located in Dickens, Kent, Crosby, and Garza counties of West Texas and encompassed approximately 439,000 acres.
 
Estacado, Texas
Collection, 1888-1975; Papers
2 wallets (0.2 linear feet)

Consists of correspondence, legal material, literary productions, and scrapbook material pertaining to the settlement and history of Estacado, Crosby County, Texas. Of particular interest are accounts of early frontier life on the Texas South Plains.
Established in 1878 by Quaker colonists led by Paris Cox, this was the first Anglo settlement in Crosby County, Texas, and was the original county seat of Crosby County. The population of 600 declined after the county seat was moved to Emma in 1891, and by 1895, after the Quakers moved to Friendswood (Brazoria County, Texas), the colony was disbanded.
 
Estelline State Bank (Estelline, Texas)
Records, 1905-1933
7,851 leaves

Consists of financial materials including loan registers, ledgers, and reconciliation records. Also included are minute books, reports of the board of directors, charters, and statements of condition.
The town of Estelline, Hall County, Texas, was established in the early 1890s and became a prominent shipping point on the Fort Worth and Denver City Railroad. The bank was organized in 1906, with Bob Green as president and E. L. Biggerstaff as cashier. The bank closed in 1929.
 
Ethridge, Don E.

Papers, 1991
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

Collection contains three research papers written by Professor Ethridge. Dr. Ethridge is a professor of Agricultural Economics at Texas Tech University.

Evans, Mrs. Clester
Papers, 1841-1948
1 microfilm reel (75 ft.) : negative

Includes correspondence, receipts, financial and legal material, an autograph album, photographs, and a printed item. Legal and financial material concerns the Dunagan family, whereas the other materials pertain to the Campbells.
Mrs. Evans is the daughter of J. P. Dunagan and Lou (Campbell) Dunagan. Both the Dunagan and Campbell families were early residents of Olney, Texas.

     
TTU
Search
Workstation Use Policy
Contact the Library
Support the Library
 
Go to Texas Records and Information Locator Service (TRAIL), a state agency search service at the Texas State Library Go to TexasOnline, the main web site of the State of Texas
 

Disability, Privacy and Accessibility Resources

Copyright 2003 Texas Tech University Libraries
18th St. and Boston Ave., MS 40002
Lubbock, Texas 79409-0002
(806) 742-2261, Fax (806) 742-0737