O'Brien, Coleman A.
Consists of printed material. Includes both reprints
and photocopies of Dr. O'Brien's published research, along with copies of notices and
faculty publication lists.
A reproductive physiologist and educator, O'Brien was born in 1912 in
Cisco, Texas. He was educated at Tarleton Junior College and Texas A&M
University, where he was awarded his Ph.D. in 1964. He joined the Department of Animal
Science at Texas Technological College in 1947, and was also employed by the U.S.
Agricultural Soil Conservation Service from 1948-1955. O'Brien was also active in the
Friends of the Library at Texas Tech.
O'Donnell City Council (Texas)
1 microfilm reel (75 ft.) : negative
Contains minutes, financial material, and legal
material of the city council. O'Donnell, Texas, founded in 1908, is located on the
south boundary of Lynn County, Texas.
O'Donnell Methodist Church (Texas)
1 microfilm reel (15 ft.): negative
Contains financial and legal materials, conference
reports, a church register, and scrapbook material. The church was organized in 1911
by Reverend T.A. Knight in the O'Donnell schoolhouse with twenty-eight members.
Oden, William E.
Includes correspondence and literary productions. Of
particular interest is the correspondence dealing with Oden's article "A Study of
Tenure and Turnover in the Texas Legislature."
A professor of political science at Texas Tech University, Oden is also
an author of a number of articles on the Texas legislature. He has served on the Texas
Tech University Faculty Advisory Committee and was involved in the name-change issue, as
well as the selection of Grover Murray as president of the university.
Odessa Chamber of Commerce (Texas)
Contains correspondence, minutes, office files,
printed material, scrapbooks, and literary productions pertaining to chamber of commerce
activities and the history of Odessa, Texas. The collection bulks with minutes of chamber
Odessa, Texas, was founded in 1886 and became an early shipping point
for West Texas. In 1929 the discovery of oil led to boom town conditions and the town
experienced rapid population growth. The Chamber of Commerce was organized in 1912.
Records, 1911-2011 and undated
12 boxes (12 linear feet)
The records document the history of the Ogallala Commons organization and
its predecessors from 1911 to 2011. Included are such varied materials as
conference proceedings, mission statements and supporting documentation,
financial documents, newspaper and other periodical clippings about the
Commons, and intern profiles. Outlines of and research material relating to
the Commons’ many projects, both completed and ongoing, comprise several
boxes of the collection. Finally, a great deal of information about water in
the Ogallala region is present.
"Ogallala Commons has grown from a small project into a 501(c) (3) nonprofit
organization that provides leadership and education to reinvigorate
communities of the High Plains-Ogallala Aquifer region. The Ogallala Aquifer
is a tremendous gift of groundwater that intertwines all human and natural
communities living in this unified area of the Great Plains, even though we
are politically and culturally sectioned into 8 different states.
Ogallala Commons is shaped and directed by a 7-member Board of Directors,
assisted by an Advisory Council and a small staff of men and women leaders
from 6 states in the High Plains-Ogallala Aquifer region--leaders who follow
the vision of Ogallala Commons and build it into an operational community
Ogallala Commons works to reinvigorate the commonwealth that forms the basis
of our assets. Simply put, Ogallala Commons helps communities “to do
together what no one community can do alone.” Our mission is carried out
through a 4-part approach: 1) weaving a collaborative network of diverse
partners, 2) building an education outreach with annual conferences,
workshops, and templates, 3) fostering a sense of place to instill meaning
and inspire stewardship for our landscapes and hometowns, and 4) rebuilding
resilient communities to sustain people and the land.
During its initial decade of operation, Ogallala Commons launched projects
in renewable energy education, water conservation, rebuilding local food
systems, youth engagement, and community developments, all projects
connected to 12 Key Assets of Commonwealth."
(source: http://ogallalacommons.org/ [Accessed December, 2013])
Ogden, Montell E.
Includes correspondence, programs, and printed
material from the Carnegie Endowment. The collection bulks (1928-1936) with correspondence
between Ogden and the Carnegie Endowment, prospective speakers, and similar organizations
throughout the Southwest.
A former professor of government at Texas Technological College
(1928-1942), Ogden also served as advisor for the International Relations Club, an
organization affiliated with the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
The collection consists of photocopies of Lubbock
County tax rolls, 1879-1910. Also contains an 1884 land sale deed for property located in
A Lubbock, Texas, history collector, Ogletree was born in Oklahoma. She
received her B.A. from Texas Tech University and has worked for the Texas Tech Museum in
the capacity of giving tours and managing the museum shop. Her interests include the
folklore of the Blackwater Draw and Yellowhouse Canyon region.
Texas wine-making collection, 1970-1981
1 microfilm reel (5 ft.) : negative
The collection contains materials on wine-making in
Texas with an emphasis on the Lubbock area and the Llano Estacado Winery. It also includes
Texas Grape Association by-laws (1976) and newspaper and magazines articles about the
Llano-Estacado Winery in Lubbock, Texas.
A local Lubbock, Texas, historian, Ogletree collected materials on
wine-making in Texas.
Ojinaga, Chihuahua, Mexico
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)
Item is a photocopied
report of 38 pages entitled "The Economic Geology of the Sierra Rica, Sierra
San Carlos, and Las Orientales and a railway survey in the Municipality of
Ojinaga, District of Iturbide, State of Chihuahua, Mexico" by C. F.
Zeilinger-Caracristi, 1909. It was from the office of C. F. Z. Caracristi,
C. E. E. M., Consulting Civil and Mining Engineer.
report discusses the mineral resources and the economic significance of the
the Sierra Rica, Sierra San Carlos, and the Valley of the Orientales in the
State of Chihuahua, Mexico. It also has a survey on a proposed railway
system, which would help in the
Contains photocopies of letters written to Essie R.
Nelson, and a notebook written by Albert B. Mathis, Olberton's grandfather, when he was
Undersecretary in the Commerce Department.
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)
Item is a manuscript on Nellie Florede Vinson Oldham. Nellie Oldham is a pianist and organist residing
in Lubbock, Texas. Originally from Georgia,
she and her husband John moved to Lubbock during World War II. She was instrumental in helping establish the
Department of Music at Texas Tech University.
Olive, Jeanette Ramsey
Includes correspondence, photographs, printed
material, record books, and scrapbook material. The collection bulks (1906-1930) with
scrapbook material consisting primarily of recital and performance programs.
A music teacher, Olive was born in 1888 in Kilgore, Texas. She taught piano in the Texas
towns of Timpson, Carthage, Sweetwater, Slaton, San Angelo, and Henderson, which included
instruction for both high school and private pupils. Olive was also active in civic and
church groups and served as president of the South Plains Music Teachers Association.
Oliver, Charles Murray
1 microfilm reel (5 ft.) : negative
Includes a copy of the San Saba Star from
March 1, 1956, and a detailed account of the Oliver family genealogy. Also contains
portions of Alexander Oliver's diary from 1864 through 1866, which gives an account of the
beginnings of the Oliver family.
Oney, G. P. General Merchandise Store (Pearl, Texas)
Consists of financial materials, primarily ledgers
(1892-1921, 1925), and day books (1898-1920). The collection also contains an invoice book
(1914-1918), an accounts receivable book (1892), a bank book (1892-1899), and an order
Located in Pearl, Texas, the G. P. Oney General Merchandise Store sold
hardware, clothing, groceries, and automotive parts. The owner and operator, George P.
Oney, also bought and sold local cotton and produce. By 1910, Oney served as the broker
for most of Pearl's annual production of 6,000 to 8,000 eggs.
Open Heart Club of the Southwest
1 wallet (0.3 linear feet)
Collection of brochures and news
clippings, agendas and financial reports, membership correspondence, membership cards and
notes, Methodist Hospital bookmark, visitation schedules, and Officers and Board Directors
lists concerning the activities of the Open Heart Club of the Southwest of Lubbock, Texas.
Lawrence L. Graves
is a retired History professor and administrator at Texas Tech University. He was once a member and president of the Open
Heart Club of the Southwest. The Club
volunteer members participate in visiting patients who have undergone open-heart surgery. They help patients to alleviate any fears and
desolation, depression and pain from a traumatic experience.
Consists of typed drafts and galley proofs for a
literary production entitled Book Reviewing for an Audience.
A radio commentator, literary agent, book reviewer, and agent, Oppenheimer was born in
1907 in Dallas, Texas. She graduated from the University of Chicago. Her broadcasts have
been featured on radio stations in Dallas, Phoenix, and San Francisco. Oppenheimer's
published works include Red River Dust (co-author), Texas in Color, and the
introduction to Heroes of Texas. Her book, Book Reviewing for an Audience,
is based on special courses taught at Texas Tech University, University of Texas, and
Amarillo College Evening School from 1957-1960.
Orbeck, Betty Wingate
3 boxes and 1 wallet (3.1 linear feet)
Includes correspondence, petitions, political
materials, scrapbook memorabilia, and newsclippings related to the Permian Basin area.
Also contains materials pertaining to an Odessa Writers and Book Collectors luncheon.
A West Texas author and historian, Orbeck founded the Permian Historical Society in
Odessa in 1958, and served as its director and archivist. For further details, click
Paper, 1985-1994 and undated
4 boxes (3.5 linear feet)
The collection consists of legal documents, printed material, photographs,
scrapbooks, journals, newspapers, plaques, and awards given to John Orem.
Many pertain to the attack by the ACF upon Orem.
John M. Orem was a Murray Professor of Physiology at
the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine.
Overton Drug Company (Dublin, Texas)
The collection bulks with financial materials
(1901-1935) reflecting both customer purchases and company orders. The customer files
(1904-1932) contain alphabetically, and chronologically, sorted financial statements.
In 1899, G. H. Connell, A.A. Hartgrove, and H.L. Overton founded the Overton Drug Company
in Dublin, Texas. Managed by Clifton S. Bowden, the company sold prescription and retail
drugs, stationery, and sundries. Bowden later became the sole owner of the company, and
operated the company in the 1920s and 1930s. Bowden also served as Dublin's mayor in 1925.
3 microfilm reels : negative
Contains legal and court documents, a case procedure
file, case and legal research, and related scientific research correspondence.
A defense attorney for the Plains Weather Improvement Association, Owen
defended the Association from objections to weather modification procedures being
conducted in Hale and Lamb counties, Texas.
The collection consists of a scrapbook with nine
poems of friendship apparently as an expression of gratitude for Mrs. Owens' service in a
women's organization. Also includes a single photograph, apparently of a Mrs. Molloy.
Other photographs are missing from the scrapbook.
Identity unknown--apparently she was active in a women's organization
circa 1937. The scrapbook contains one reference to Mrs. Owen's year as
"Orical", and to Denver Camp 5293.