Eagle Pass Army Camp
Photograph Collection, 1881-1918
13 B/W copy prints and 13 negatives
Includes photographs of individuals; groups of people; and tents within the army camp. Eagle Pass Army Camp, ten miles north of Eagle Pass in Maverick County, Texas, was occupied during the Mexican Revolutions of 1910-1920. It later became an advanced single-engine flying school during World War II, activated in 1942 and discontinued in 1945.
Earhart’s Well (Lubbock, Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1911
2 copy prints
SWCPC 57 (I) E20
The collection features a photograph of the B. Earhart Well in 1911. Don H. Biggers dug one of the first irrigation wells in Lubbock, Texas, in 1911. At a depth of 112 feet, the Earhart well used a 25 horsepower engine to pump water to the surface. During the first few years, the well proved to be a minor success but after Biggers sold the property, output increased and the well provided a constant supply of water.
Eastland County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1900-1968
88 copy prints
SWCPC 16 E1-E2
This artificial collection consists of photographs of Gorman, Texas, residents (1941-1961), and bulks with photographs of tornado damage (ca. 1949). It also includes photographs of the Gorman Progress newspaper plant (1954), the Gorman Peanut Festival (1949-1958), and the inauguration of Lt. Governor, Ben Barnes.
Created from parts of Bosque, Travis, and Coryell Counties, Eastland County covers 925 square miles in west central Texas. It was organized in 1873 with the county seat at Eastland. Livestock-raising, especially sheep and goats, is the principal basis of its agricultural economy, while peanuts are the major crop. From 1917-1922, Ranger was the center of an oil boom.
Eddings, L. B.
Photograph Collection, 1935-1970
4 copy prints
The collection contains photos from an unidentified cattle show.
Educational Laboratories (Brownwood, Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1930-1973
12 copy prints, 14 photos
Consists of photographs of Educational Laboratories, Inc. in Brownwood, Texas (1930-1973), and bulks with photographs of the manufacture and use of reading machines (1972).
Educational Laboratories, Inc. began in 1932 when J. Y. Taylor approached Brownwood businessman, Douglas Coalson, concerning the development and manufacture of his invention, the Metronoscope reading machine. During the 1930s, American Optical Company manufactured and distributed the Metronoscope and the Opthamograph for Educational Laboratories. The laboratory developed and tested new aids to reading and classroom teaching. Aaron Edward Lamb was a Brownwood school teacher who tested equipment for Educational Laboratories, by conducting experiments with the reading machines in his classroom.
Photograph Collection, 1988
181 photo prints and copy prints, and 64 negatives
Bulks with military vehicles and machinery, river and dam, grassfires, Indian trail, tractors, and battle site from different Texas towns such as Brownwood, Idalou, and Albany. Bryan Edwards took the photos during the Spring of 1988.
Edwards County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1880-1940
360 copy prints
This artificial collection bulks with photographs of community activities in Rocksprings, Texas (1900-1915). It also includes photographs of branding (undated); a camp of pecan pickers (undated); a Fourth of July celebration (1902); and a baptism in a river (undated).
Edwards County, on the Edwards Plateau in southwestern Texas, was organized in 1883. Livestock and mineral production constitute the main sources of county revenue. Rocksprings, with a population of 1,300, has served as the county seat since 1891. Rocksprings and Barksdale are commercial centers for rural Edwards County. Allen Stovall served as county judge for many years, and collected and published historical information concerning the Stovall family in the Edwards County area.
Edwards, Mrs. Wildring
Photograph Collection, undated
24 B/W copy prints and 26 B/W negatives
Consists of individuals, groups of people, agricultural endeavors, automobiles, and mountain lakes. Mrs. Wildring Edwards was a Texas Technological College graduate.
Photograph Collection, 1900-1930
226 copy prints
SWCPC 47 E1
This collection consists of photographs of Electra, Texas (1900-1973), and bulks with photographs of early town life and the oil boom days (1909-1918).
Electra, Texas, originally known as Beaver, was established in western Wichita County as a trading post for the Comanches under Quanah Parker in 1889. In 1900, W. T. Waggoner convinced the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad to build a switch in Beaver, and the town was renamed to honor his daughter, Electra. Testing for oil in 1911 set off a boom that peaked at 8,288,000 barrels in 1914. The Electra wells turned out over a million barrels per year into the 1950s. Images in this collection have been digitized and are viewable [here].
Elizabethtown, New Mexico
Photograph Collection, 1921
Consists of a print of Elizabethtown, New Mexico, taken from the top of a hill (1921).
Photograph Collection, 2000
24 color prints
SWCPC 807 E1
Images of historical markers, landmarks, and monuments from Eastland County depicting its colorful past. Collection includes facts about the Texas towns of Cisco and Ranger.
Pat Ellebracht was raised in Mason County, Texas. He graduated with an MBA from Texas Technological College in 1954. He was a professor of business at Northwest Missouri State University (now Truman State University) for 29 years. He retired in 1996. The manuscript that he compiled describes some interesting event in Eastland County, Texas.
Elliott, Morris, Reverend
Photograph Collection, 1880-1960
127 copy prints, 129 copy negatives
SWCPC 143 (C)
Consists of photographs of the people and places in San Angelo, Texas (1880-1960), and also includes photographs of an early dugout dwelling, the Concho Hotel, and San Angelo's first jail.
Rev. Morris Elliott served as rector of the Emmanuel Episcopal Church in San Angelo.
Ellis County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1906-1912
3 B/W copy prints; 3 copy negatives
SWCPC 292 E1-E2
Consists of negatives from photographs of Ellis County, Texas (1905-1912). Also contains negatives of the Texas Street Railway in Waxahachie, Texas (ca.1910); a portrait of an unidentified woman (c.1905); and a group portrait of an unidentified football team (ca.1905).
Emmanuel Episcopal Church (San Angelo, Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1904-1969
126 copy prints
Consists of photographs of Emmannuel Episcopal Church in San Angelo, Texas (1904-1969), and bulks with photographs of clergy (1922-26; 1953-1959). Also contains a photograph of voicing a pipe organ (1969) and a photograph of Oscar Ruffini, architect of Tom Green County court house and Emmanuel Episcopal Church.
Episcopal church services began in the San Angelo area in 1871 using an adobe schoolhouse. In 1885, a $1,000 donation from the Emmanuel Church in Baltimore, Maryland, made possible the establishment of Emmanuel Episcopal Parish in San Angelo. In 1887 the first building by Oscar Ruffini was completed. The current church building on South Randolph Street dates from 1932. In 1984-1985, the parish celebrated 100 years of worship in San Angelo.
Engdahl, Carl August
Photograph Collection, 1890-1931
72 copy prints, 130 copy negatives
Consists of photographs of the Engdahl family and an overview of Clarendon, Texas (1890-1931). It also includes an Indian camp and chuckwagon scenes on the R O Ranch (1902), the first tractor in Donley County, and a flood in Clarendon (1918).
Carl August Engdahl immigrated from Sweden in 1890, settling in Williamson County, Texas. He later moved his family to McCulloch County where he farmed near Brady. While most of the Engdahl family did not remain in McCulloch County, Carl's son, George, returned in 1921, married Lillie Peterson, and became a prominent farmer and advocate of historic preservation.
English, O. W.
Photograph Collection, 1910s-1980s
91 prints and 59 color slides
SWCPC 794 E1
Images detail Otis W. English’s life from a 1910s class picture to 1980s photos in front of his house on 19th Street in Lubbock, Texas. This includes English graduating from Baylor University, posing in his office, and vacationing with his family. Also contains autographed portraits, group photos of various boards and organizations, party shots, banquets, and meetings.
Dr. O. W. "Babe" English came to Lubbock in 1926 and established his medical practice downtown, in the old Myrick Building. He remained active in Lubbock medicine for the next 50 years and served on the staffs of the city’s major hospitals. He owned the Two Buckle Ranch in Crosby County. He served in both World Wars and was a prominent Lubbock civic leader. He was appointed to several offices in professional organizations. Dr. English died in 1990.
Photograph Collection, 1900-1920
22 copy prints
SWCPC 291 E3
Consists of photographs of Crosby County, Texas, and bulks with photographs of the Silver Falls Lake area and Blanco Canyon (1900-1920).
Otis English and his father owned the Two Buckle Ranch in Crosby County, Texas. His wife Rosemary researched the history of the ranch and the Kentucky Cattle Raising Company, which owned the land before the English family.
Erath County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1888-1998
145 B/W copy prints, 53 photo prints, and 57 negatives
Is comprised of images of Lingleville, Texas, including Alliance College and Lingleville Christian College (1888 and 1890); miners and mining activity, mercantile buildings, baseball team, water tank, marching band, boarding house, snow scene, brick yard, school group portraits, locatives, wagons, schools, automobiles, boxers, shops, parade, saloon, mules, associations, picnic, garage, aerial views, and families from Thurber, Texas (19th and early 20th Century). Also photos from Dublin (Texas) Reunion and Dr. Pepper Bottling Plant Celebration (1998) such as tractors, antique cars, historic buildings, and advertising art.
Located ten miles west of Stephenville in west central Erath County, Lingleville developed following the establishment of a nearby grocery store by R. P. Campbell in 1884. Alliance College was established by the Farmer's Alliance. Now a ghost town, Thurber, Texas, once boasted a population of maybe 10,000, and was the principal bituminous coal mining town in Texas. The townsite is seventy-five miles west of Fort Worth. Coal deposits were discovered by William Whipple Johnson, an engineer for the Texas and Pacific Railway in the mid-1880s.
Everett, Mrs. G. L.
Photograph Collection, 1922
30 copy prints, 31 copy negatives
Consists of photographs of New Mexico (1922), and bulks with photographs of Cloudcroft and Ruidoso. Also includes photographs of Mescalero Apache Indians.