Fabens, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1914-1917
51 copy prints
SWCPC 320 E2

Consists of photographs of the U.S. Cavalry based on the Rio Grande River (1914-1917). Also contains photographs of the U.S. Customs house in Fabens, Texas (1914); San Elizario, Texas (1914); and cattle crossing at the Rio Grande Bridge, Fabens, Texas (1914).

Fabiano, Mae La Palmer
Photograph Collection, 1910-1932
35 B/W copy prints
SWCPC 366 E4

Collection contains images of tent show troupes and entertainers from the J. Doug Morgan Tent Show Company, 1910-1932. Includes actors, entertainers, clowns, and musicians. Bulks with entertainers.

Mae La Palmer Fabiano was born in Fort Worth, Texas, on June 27, 1909. She was a member of several travelling vaudeville theater troupes in the 1920s and 1930s.

Farming Miscellaneous
Photograph Collection, 1910-1962
7 B/W photo prints
SWCPC 340 E1-E5

Contains images of various farming equipment, farmers, awards, crops, chickens, wagons, harvesting, and a horse-drawn plow. Bulks with farming equipment. Texas Tech has an active agricultural academic and field program in the South Plains region of Texas.

Farr, Louis Lee
Photograph Collection, 1905-1930
8 B/W copy prints

Collection bulks with images of storm damage to a beachfront resort. Louis Lee Farr, III was born June 4, 1921 in San Angelo, Texas. He served in Europe during World War II and received the Bronze Star. Farr worked for the Sawyer Cattle Company of Texas, and managed ranches in New Mexico and Texas until the 1970s when he became a broker with Connaly-Farr Real Estate in Austin, Texas.

Farwell-Parmer County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1910-1911
34 B/W copy prints

Bulks with images of public and private buildings in Farwell, Texas (1910-1911). John Getz and his family were residents of Farwell, Texas. He collected early promotional materials on the development of Parmer County, Texas.

Ferguson, Joe
Photograph Collection, 1930-1940
38 copy prints
SWCPC 356 E7

Contains personal and business photographs of Joe Ferguson and his family (1930-1940), and also includes a photograph of the band with Gene Autry. Joe Ferguson was a member of Bob Wills' and the Texas Playboys' band during the 1930s.

Ferris, Jackie
Photograph Collection, undated
140 B/W photos and postcards
SWCPC 866 F1

Photographs and postcards of Lillian Queen Hoops, her family and friends.

Firebaugh, Charles Winfield and Cora Pardee
Photograph Collection, 1860s to 1960s
29 B/W and 2 color photographs
SWCPC 879 E1

One folder of family photographs of the Firebaughs and Pardees

First National Bank (Lubbock, Texas)
1 B/W copy print
SWCPC 721 E1
Photograph Collection, undated

This collection consists of an early Lubbock image of the First National Bank building.

On 5 August 1901 Lubbock's first bank opened. The Bank of Lubbock was incorporated as the First National Bank on April 7, 1902. The building was among the first brick structures in Lubbock and was located at the corner of Main and Texas.

First Presbyterian Church (Lubbock, Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1906-1917 and undated
3 B/W photo prints
SWCPC 720 E1

This collection consists of First Presbyterian Church scrapbook materials. The Presbyterian Church was organized in Lubbock in 1903. Membership languished during the first years, but following World War I the size of the congregation began increasing.

First Unitarian Universalist Church (Lubbock, Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1990 and undated
16 color photo prints
SWCPC 682 E1

This is a set of images of church events. The First Unitarian Universalist Church was organized in Lubbock, Texas, during the early part of the 1950s. It was initially made up of individuals from the University community. They have a liberal view of the biblical scriptures.

Fisher County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1900
6 copy prints

Consists of photographs of Roby, Texas (1900), and bulks with photographs of the Roby and Northern Depot and trains (1900).

Fletcher Family
Photograph Collection, 1889-1973
21 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the James Fletcher family and the Temple Fuel Company, Temple, Texas, and bulks with Fletcher family photographs (1896-1910). Also contains a photograph of Baylor University String Orchestra (ca. 1910).

James Fletcher came to Texas from Arkansas in 1844 and began farming in Bell County on the Little River. His son, James, and grandson, Omar, organized the Temple Fuel Company in 1907. Over the next few years they added several cotton gins to their business holdings and soon became leading citizens in the Temple area.

Floyd County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1900-1930
14 copy prints

This artificial collection of photographs of Floyd County, Texas (1900-1930), also contains photographs of an advertisement for Buster Brown Shoes (ca. 1914).

Floyd, Willie M.
Photograph Collection, 1926-1938
2 B/W glass slides

Collection consists of two glass slides including a map of the Thurber, Texas area and Colonel Johnson.

A school teacher, Willie M. Floyd attended Hardin-Simmons College and Southern Methodist University, graduating from Hardin-Simmons in 1928. She wrote a thesis towards a Masters degree from SMU in 1939 entitled: "Thurber,Texas: An Abandoned Coal Field Town."

Foard County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1891-1960
28 copy prints, 30 copy negatives
SWCPC 190 E1-E3

Consists of photographs of Foard County, Texas (1891-1960), and bulks with people and places in Foard County (1893-1920). Also contains photographs of two of Quanah Parker's sons (1928); Crowell College (1985); Crowell's First Methodist Church (1960); businesses in Crowell (1920-1960); Gafford family photographs (1893); and First State Bank, Paducah, Texas (undated).

Foard County, in north central Texas, was created in 1891 with the county seat at Crowell. This region had been the site of the recapture of Cynthia Ann Parker by Texas Rangers in 1860. Cotton, wheat, and cattle provide the major sources of income for the area.

Formby, Marshall and Sharleen Rhoads
Photograph Collection, 1913-1990 and undated
675 photo prints, 4 copy prints, 694 slides, 1902 negatives

This collection is comprised of photographs relating to Marshall Formby, his family, individuals, events, building structures, awards, and locations. Also includes images of U. S. Navy warships.

Sharleen Formby Rhoads was the wife of the late Marshall Formby who was a politician, farmer, attorney, and former member of the Texas Tech Board of Directors/Regents. Sharleen Rhoads was born in Barberton, Ohio. She married Marshall in Seale, Alabama in 1946. She graduated as an English major and taught at the Army War College in Washington, D. C. In August 1947, the Formby Family moved to Plainview, Texas. They owned several radio stations in the West Texas region such as KFLD in Floydada and KPAN in Hereford.

Formby, Marshall and Sharleen Formby Rhoads
Photograph Collection, undated
24 B/W photo prints
SWCPC 600 E4

This contains family and vacation photos, postcards, pictures of Marshall Formby and the Delobel girls.

Sharleen Formby Rhoads was the widow of the late Marshall Formby who was a Texas politician, farmer, attorney and former member of the Texas Tech Board of Directors/Regents. Sharleen Rhoads married Marshall in Seale, Alabama in 1946. She graduated from Montevallo University with an English degree in 1940. In August 1947, the Formby Family moved to Plainview, Texas. They owned several radio stations in the West Texas region, such as KFLD in Floydada and KPAN in Hereford. In 1984, Marshall Formby passed away.

Fort Chadbourne, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1968
9 photos

Consists of photographs of the monument of Fort Chadbourne, Coke County, Texas, and bulks with photographs of the sandstone buildings' remains (1968).

Located on Oak Creek in northeastern Coke County, Texas, Fort Chadbourne was established in 1852 by companies of the 8th U. S. Infantry. It guarded the overland mail route until 1861, when the post was surrendered to the Confederate frontier forces. U. S. troops occupied Fort Chadbourne again from 1865 to 1867, when the sandstone buildings were abandoned in favor of newly established Fort Concho near present-day San Angelo, Texas.

Fort Concho, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1868-1972
110 B/W copy prints and 7 postcards

This collection consists of photographs of groups of people; architecture; parades; horses; musicians; sheep ranching; Jack Hughes (photographer); and weather.

Fort Concho, in San Angelo, Texas, was one of a number of military posts built to establish law and order in West Texas as settlers began to arrive after the Civil War. It was located at the juncture of the Main and North Concho rivers and named after the rivers which converge in San Angelo to form the Concho. Soldiers from Fort Concho scouted and mapped large portions of West Texas. As the town of San Angelo began to form across the river from Fort Concho civilian law enforcement improved and the army abandoned the fort on June 20, 1889. In the fort was designated a National Historic Landmark. Besides museum exhibits and living history programs, Fort Concho hosts a variety of community activities.

Fort Davis, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1920
1 B/W postcard: 3 X 5
SWCPC 159 E1

Includes a postcard containing an image of the ruins of the old hospital at Fort Davis, Texas.

Fort Davis is the county seat of Jeff Davis County. The precursor of the town was a rough-and-tumble settlement formed just southwest of the military post. Fort Davis, at the eastern base of the Davis Mountains, was founded 1854. The army post guarded the Trans-Pecos segment of the southern route to California, as the main fort in a line of forts stretching from San Antonio to El Paso. It played a significant role in the defense and development of West Texas. By the early 1890s the army abandoned the fort; and the town, which had been a crossroads for travelers and hunters, declined in population. Because of its mild climate and location, the town has become a resort during the twentieth century.

Fort Davis, Texas
Photograph Collection, undated
10 B/W negatives and 10 B/W contact prints
SWCPC 159 E2

This collection consists of images of Fort Stockton, the Hotel Limpia, the Interpretive Center, Hospital and sink ruins, Officers Headquarters, Commanding Officers Headquarters, and the Officers Row.

Fort Davis is located on the northern edge of the town of Fort Davis, Texas. In June 1891 Fort Davis was abandoned after the Indian menace to West Texas had ended. Fort Davis National Historic Site was established as a unit of the National Park System in 1963, and a comprehensive program was immediately launched to save the remaining buildings and interpret the story of the fort to the public.

Fort Griffin, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1877-1968
14 photos, 40 copy prints
SWCPC 185 E1-E2

Consists of photographs of Fort Griffin State Park in Shackelford County, Texas, and includes photographs of Chief Johnson, a Tonkawa Indian scout (1877), and reconstruction by the Civilian Conservation Corps (1935).

Located on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, Fort Griffin was established in 1867 by companies of the 6th U. S. Cavalry. The fort maintained a garrison of six companies through the 1870s. Fort Griffin was abandoned in 1881, but in the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps reconstructed some of the original buildings and today serves as a state park.

Fort McKavett
Photograph Collection, 1853-1912
26 B/W copy prints
SWCPC 424 E1-E2

Collection contains images of Fort McKavett and military personnel who served there in the mid-nineteenth century. Established March 14, 1852 by the U.S. War Department as a protection against Indians, it was named in honor of Captain Henry McKavett who fell in battle at Monterrey during the Mexican War. The fort was abandoned by Federal troops in 1859, reoccupied in 1868, and abandoned for good in 1883. The remnants of the fort lie west of Menard in central Texas. Many of the images were copied from the Library of Congress, National Archives, and other repositories

Fort Phantom Hill, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1968
6 photos
SWCPC 9 (B) E11

Consists of photographs of the remains of a few stone buildings at Fort Phantom Hill, Texas (1968).

Five companies of the 5th U.S. Infantry established Fort Phantom Hill in 1851 in what is now Jones County, Texas. This outpost was meant to provide frontier defense for the increasing population of Texas; however, its location on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River failed to provide a good supply of water. This, combined with a lack of timber, caused the Army to abandon this post in 1854. Most of the fort mysteriously burned a short time later, leaving only the remains of a few stone buildings.

Fort Stockton, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1880-1970
208 copy prints, 211 copy negatives
SWCPC 79 (A)-(B)

Consists of photographs of Fort Stockton, Texas (1880-1970) and bulks with buildings, industry and recreational facilities (1895-1920). Also contains photographs of Good Roads Day (1912); a cement irrigation ditch (undated); executed train robbers (1912); a group of Texas Rangers (1957); Harry Truman, Bess Truman, and Buford Jester on Truman's Whistle Stop Campaign for U. S. President (1948); and a LULAC meeting (1938).

The county seat for Pecos County, Texas, Fort Stockton is located near Comanche Springs and the old frontier outpost of the same name. The military Fort Stockton was established in 1859, and the town developed around the post, encouraged by the arrival of the Santa Fe Railroad. Fort Stockton is currently a center for irrigation, farming, and oil production. The community supports a population of approximately 8,700.

Fort Worth and Denver Railway
Photograph Collection, 1909-1964
3 photos, 81 copy prints
SWCPC 121, E1-E9

Consists of photographs of the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad Company (1909-1964), and bulks with scenes of bridge construction (1930-1940).

In 1873, K. M. Van Zandt and a group of prominent Fort Worth citizens chartered the Fort Worth and Denver Railway. Actual construction of the road did not begin until 1881, when General Grenville M. Dodge built the first section to Wichita Falls which became a major cattle shipping point. The line, crossing the Texas Panhandle to Denver, Colorado, was completed in 1888. By the 1940s, the Fort Worth and Denver railroad operated over 900 miles of track with their headquarters in Fort Worth.

Fort Worth & Denver Railway
Photograph Collection, undated
4 B/W photo prints and 4 copy negatives
SWCPC 121 E10-E11

Is comprised of photographs of trains and scenes of railway stations and images of Fort Worth and Denver Railroad promotional material from near Amarillo, Texas.

The Fort Worth and Denver Railway Company was chartered in 1873 as the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway Company. The name was changed in 1951. In 1895 Grenville M. Dodge became president of the company. As the first rail line to penetrate Northwest Texas, the Fort Worth and Denver greatly influenced the area’s growth. It actively promoted the growth of towns and farming to increase traffic for the line. The railway merged with the Burlington Northern in 1982 and in 1989 most of the line was abandoned in favor of trackage rights over the Santa Fe.

Fort Worth, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1917-1959
4 photos

Consists of photographs of the Fort Worth, Texas, skyline and the front pages of Fort Worth newspapers (1917-1926; 1959).

Foster, Paul
Photograph Collection, 1938-1946
11 B/W contact sheets and 41 copy negatives

This collection consists of photographs of groups of individuals, locations, and building structures during WW II, including Fort Bliss, Biggs Field, the USO building in Nice, France, and a prison camp in Germany. Paul Foster of Post, Texas served in the U. S. Army in WWII.

Four Sixes (6666) Ranch (Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1959
18 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the cowboys of the 6666 Ranch and their activities (1959).

Established by Samuel Burk Burnett in 1889, the 6666 Ranch covers over 300,000 acres in King and Dickens Counties in West Texas. Burnett built a large rock mansion in 1917, popularly known as the "Cowboy Castle." The 6666 Ranch continues today as a working ranch.

Fowler, Cass Alice
Photograph Collection, 1903-1952
27 copy prints

Consists of photographs of farming activities and Briscoe County, Texas residents, and bulks with group photographs (1903-1915). It also includes photographs of freight wagons (1918) and a drug store in Silverton (1903). Born in Briscoe County, Texas in 1892, Cass Fowler farmed outside of Silverton, Texas, with her husband, Clay. Clay also served as postmaster of Silverton.

Fredericksburg, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1980
1 photo, 7 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the Admiral Nimitz Museum and the Easter fires celebration in Fredericksburg, Texas (1980).

Freeman, Bennett
Photograph Collection, 1920
137 copy prints
SWCPC 353 E1-E3

Collection consists of agricultural, railroad, and oil industry photos of Breckenridge, Desdemona, Jakehamon and Ranger, Texas. (1920s). Bennett Freeman served in the U. S. Navy during World War I. He also worked for surveying and drilling companies near Ranger, Texas during the oil boom of the 1920s. Images in this collection have been digitized and are viewable

Friend, F. R.
Photograph Collection, 1928
2 copy prints, 3 copy negatives
SWCPC 57 (I) E10

Consists of photographs of F. R. Friend's cotton stripper (ca. 1928). F. R. Friend served as mayor of Lubbock from 1924 to 1926. He was a prominent local farmer who donated land for several city water wells.

Funck, Jerry
Photograph Collection, 1915-1920
50 copy prints
SWCPC 196 E5

Consists of photographs of agricultural practices in Texas (1915-1920), and bulks with photographs of irrigation techniques, crops, and cattle. Also contains a photograph of a wooden silo (undated). Funck is a staff member for the High Plains Underground Water Conservation District #1 in Lubbock, Texas. He has collected numerous photographs depicting irrigation in the Panhandle and South Plains areas.