LaBombard, Don
Photograph Collection, 1945
1 B/W photo print
SWCPC 675 E1

This is a single photo of the United States Marines raising the United States Flag on the island of Iwo Jima during WWII. Lloyd LaBombard is a graduate of Texas Tech University and is actively involved in the Masonic order. He donated the photo in honor of his grandfather Don LaBombard who worked in the central photo-processing lab during the Second World War. This photo was one of the many that came into his possession.

Lake Marvin, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1939
7 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the final phase of construction and the opening-day ceremony at Lake Marvin in Hemphill County, Texas (1939). Lake Marvin, in east central Hemphill County, was created on Boggy Creek in the Texas Panhandle in 1939. The reservoir, covering 553 acres, provides for soil conservation, flood control, recreation and wildlife.

Lake Whitney, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1971
5 copy prints

Consists of photographs of damage caused by a tornado at Lake Whitney, Texas (1971). Lake Whitney reservoir lies along 45 miles of the Brazos River on the Hill-Bosque County line in central Texas. The dam was completed by the Corps of Engineers in 1951. In 1971, a tornado caused extensive damage to the lake shores.

Lamb County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1900-1968
4 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the people and places in Lamb County, Texas (1900-1968). It also contains photographs of the Lamb County Historical Marker, which is in honor of George A. Lamb, who fell in the first charge at the Battle of San Jacinto.

Lambert, Joseph A.
Photograph Collection, 1926-1935
10 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the Joseph A. Lambert family and their farm in Texas (1926), and bulks with photographs of the Lambert family (ca. 1926).

Lambright, Joe
Photograph Collection, undated
1 B/W photo print and 1 B/W negative
SWCPC 745 E1

This is a photograph of Joe Lambright standing by a cotton field. Joe Lambright is a cotton breeder in Lubbock and Lynn counties.

Lambshead and Davis Ranches
Photograph Collection, 1971
22 copy prints

Consists of photographs of Watt Matthews and daily work and life on the Lambshead and Davis Ranches near Albany, Texas (1971). Watkins Reynolds Matthews was born in 1899 to Sallie Ann Reynolds and John A. Matthews, members of prominent West Texas ranching families. Watt attended Princeton University and then helped his brother, Joe, manage the family properties. For many years, he has served as manager of the ranch at Lambshead in Shackelford and Throckmorton Counties of Texas.

Lampasas County, Texas
Photograph Collection, ca. 1890-1971
40 copy prints, 1 copy glass negative
SWCPC 62 E1-E3

Consists of photographs of Lampasas County, Texas (1890-1971), and bulks with photographs of residents and railroads (1900-1915). It also contains engineering drawings of a locomotive (undated) and a photo of a bath house (undated).

Lampasas County, organized in 1956, is located in central Texas between the Lampasas and Colorado Rivers. The Santa Fe Railroad reached the county in 1882. Lampasas, the county seat, serves as a center for sheep-raising and agriculture (cotton, corn, oats, peaches, and apples.)

Landwer, Virginia
Photograph Collection, 1930-1940
24 copy prints
SWCPC 299 E5

Consists of photographs of Canyon Lake, Lubbock County, Texas; Rich Lake, Terry County, Texas; and mounted research animals (1930-1940). The collection bulks with photographs of mounted lab animals (1930s-1940s).

Langford, Sandy Jo
Photograph Collection, 1971
1 copy print

Consists of an autographed photograph of Sandy Jo Langford, "Miss Ford Country" (1971).

Lapham, Bob
Photograph Collection, 1950 and undated
2 B/W negatives and 2 copy prints: 4 x 5

This collection includes photographs of the 1950s rock group, "The Picks," who sang backup for Buddy Holly in the recording studio. Bob Lapham, John Pickering, and Bill Pickering were the original Members of "The Picks," a Lubbock rock group of the 1950s, sang back-up vocals for Buddy Holly in the recording studio. "The Crickets" did not sing.

Lapham, Bob
Photograph Collection, 1957
1 B/W photo print
SWCPC 676 E1

This collection consists of a single promotional photo of "The Picks" which was a Lubbock rock group in the 1950s, who sang back-up vocals for Buddy Holly in the studio because the "Crickets" were unable to sing. Bob Lapham was a member of this three-man group.

Laughlin, Charles P.
Photograph Collection, 1920-1929
45 B/W copy prints

Contains images of Tyrone, New Mexico, and the oil industry in Woodson, Texas, during the 1920s. Charles P. Laughlin worked as a driller in the oil fields near Ranger, Texas, during the boom period of the 1920s. Bulks with Petroleum industry photographs.

Lawrence, D. H.
Photograph Collection, 1924 and undated
24 B/W prints and 24 negatives
SWCPC 818 E1

Collection depicts D. H. Lawrence and his friends. Also shows Lawrence’s house which he and his Indian friends built. Also shows Lawrence riding a horse, New Mexican landscape, Indian dance, and an old ruined church at a possible Taos Pueblo. Other individuals include Mabel Dodge Luhan, Frieda von Richthofen Weekley, and Dorothy Brett.

Some of the images come from one of Keith M. Sagar’s book D. H. Lawrence and New Mexico. David Herbert Lawrence was born an Englishman in 1885. He was a novelist, poet, and essayist. Some of his works include The Trespasser and Sons and Lovers. He married Freida in 1914. While wandering, Mr. Lawrence lived in several European countries and had a ranch outside Taos, New Mexico, which he called Kiowa Ranch. He passed away in 1930.

LBJ Ranch House (Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1971
4 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the Lyndon B. Johnson Ranch home in Stonewall County, Texas (1971). Lyndon Baines Johnson served as the Thirty-Sixth President of the United States from 1963 to 1968. He purchased the Johnson Ranch house in 1952 on land facing the Pedernales River in Stonewall County, Texas. Johnson died in 1973, but his wife, Claudia "Lady Bird" Johnson, continues to live at the ranch.

League of Women Voters of Texas
Photograph Collection, undated
182 photo prints, copy prints, and slides

This collection consists of individuals, groups of individuals, events, and educational programs sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Texas.

In 1919, the Texas Equal Suffrage Association evolved into the Texas League of Women Voters, today recognized as the League of Women Voters of Texas. Their hallmark activity is the circulation of Voters’ Guides through newspapers prior to elections: locally, regionally, statewide, and nationally. The League’s intent is dissemination of information on political candidates, and the objective promotion of "political responsibility through informed and active participation of citizens in government." The organization’s efforts, however, are by no means limited to politics, but also address issues on water, health care, hazardous wastes, education, energy, and such international concerns as the United Nations.

Leakey, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1870-1972
232 copy prints, 233 copy negatives

Consists of photographs concerning people, places, and events in Leakey and Real County, Texas (1870; 1880-1960; 1970-1972). The collection bulks with photographs of people and places in Leakey (1880-1950), including prints of Angora goats, grinding sugar cane to make molasses, and a World War I veteran in uniform.

Organized in 1883, Leakey, Texas, serves as the county seat for Real County. A narrow gauge railroad carried kaolin from nearby mines into the town on the Rio Frio Canyon until 1931 when mining operations ceased.

Ledrick Family
Photograph Collection, 1880-1937
118 copy prints, 21 photos, 155 copy negatives

Consists of copy prints from the Ledrick family photo album documenting ranch life in Roberts County, Texas, and including portraits and photos of ranch dwellings and agricultural implements (1886-1937). The collection bulks with portraits of family members and friends (1910), and also contains photographs of the Amarillo Hotel (undated), the Canadian River bridge at Canadian, Texas (1916), and a Union soldier.

The Ledrick family moved into Roberts County, Texas, in 1886, where they became stock farmers and, later, were involved in the 1926 oil boom in Pampa, Texas. Paul (Mickey) Ledrick was prominent in the Republican Party through 1970.

Lee, Amy Freeman
Photograph Collection, 1946-1997 and undated
173 photo prints, contact sheets, and copy prints

Is comprised of photographs of individuals, events, lecturing on humane ethics, locations, and works of art. Dr. Amy Freeman Lee is an international artist/business woman. She was born in San Antonio, Texas in 1914 but moved to San Antonio in her early childhood years. She has served as a chairperson of the Incarnate Word College for many years. She is a self-taught watercolor painter and helped found the Texas Watercolor Society in 1949. Ms. Freeman has also been elected to the Texas Women’s Hall of Fame in 1984.

Lee, Arthur F.
Photograph Collection, undated
1 B/W photo print
SWCPC 680 E1

This collection consists of a single image of a couple sitting on a porch. Cary Magness is a Wolfforth, Texas businessman. Arthur F. Lee was a cotton farmer in the Lubbock area.

Lee, Frank
Photograph Collection, 1952
11 B/W copy prints
SWCPC 456 E1

Consists of black and white images of Lubbock, Texas, television station KCBD employees during the 1950s. Includes photos of local newscasters, weathermen, locally generated programming, and technicians. Bulks with images of newscasters. Frank Lee was Chief Engineer for KCBD-TV in Lubbock. Lee was also a member of the Society of Electrical Engineers.

Leidigh, Arthur H.
Photograph Collection, 1930-1938
221 copy prints

Consists of agricultural and landscape photographs. Born in 1880, Arthur H. Leidigh grew up in Hutchinson, Kansas, and studied agriculture at Kansas State College. He became a leader in the study of grain sorghum hybrids in the Panhandle of Texas. In 1925, Leidigh was appointed the first dean of agriculture at Texas Technological College, serving in this capacity until his retirement in 1945.

Levelland, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1925 and undated
3 B/W prints and negatives
SWCPC 765 E1

Images celebrating the coming of the Santa Fe railroad coming into the town of Levelland on August 6, 1925 and of a wagon train. Levelland was named for the flat areas located around the town. It was originally know as Hockley City. C.W. Post, in 1912, surveyed the area that eventually became Hockley County. Development began after the county was organized in 1921 and the name of the town was changed for Hockley to Levelland. Agribusiness and oil dominate industry in the county of 14,000 by 1990.

Lew Henderson Players
Photograph Collection, 1914-1928
7 B/W copy prints

Contains photographs of the Lew Henderson Players tent show (1914-1928). The Lew Henderson Players was a tent show troupe that toured the Midwest during the 1920s and 1930s.

Lewis, Gordon
Photograph Collection, 1944-1965
6 B/W photo prints

Includes images of Gordon Lewis, saxophone and clarinet player who played with the Boston Symphony and big bands in the 1940s including Tommy Dorsey's. Bulks with same.

Gordon Lewis studied at the New England Conservatory of Music and played with the Boston Symphony. During the 1940s, he played saxophone and clarinet with some of the big bands including Tommy Dorsey. He later taught music in the Dallas, Texas, public schools and organized the Golden-Aires Youth Band.

Liges, Consuel
Photograph Collection, 1958
2 B/W copy prints; 1 B/W copy negative

Includes images of men in military clothing with barracks in background and the bunks where they slept. Also shown are Carlos Rodriguez playing guitar, C. Alvarado and Pedro Rocha, Leo Saldana and D. Garcia at Lorenzo, Texas. Bulks with men in uniform.

Lincoln County, New Mexico
Photograph Collection, 1980-1990
13 color photo prints
SWCPC 298 E2

Collection contains images of Lincoln County, New Mexico, particularly of the Lincoln Historical District including a church, museum, preservation headquarters, historical markers, water tank, and scenery. Bulks with markers. Lincoln County is situated in southeastern New Mexico. It was the scene of much violence in the 1870s during the so-called "Lincoln County War," arising over competition over land, cattle, and mercantile control of the region.

Lindsay, Thomas K.
Postcard Collection, 1878-1970
63 postcards
SWCPC 167 (A) E3-E5, E10

Consists of picture postcards of El Paso, Lubbock, Post, and San Angelo, Texas (1878-1970).

Little, Alton Ray "Jug"
Photograph Collection, 1982
11 B/W prints, 9 color negatives, and 5 color transparencies
SWCPC 799 E1

Collection consists of images taken for a June/July 1982 article in the
Texas Techsan, publication of the Texas Tech Ex-Student Association. The photographs detail the décor and clientele of Jug Little’s. Also included are the transparencies used for the cover of the issue and some negatives featured in the article.

Alton Ray "Jug" Little graduated from Texas Tech University in 1966. After working in Amarillo and Colorado, he returned to Lubbock in 1968, where he purchased the Hilltop Barbecue on East Broadway. He soon renamed the restaurant, Jug Little’s.

Littlefield, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1904-1970
29 copy prints, 30 copy negatives
SWCPC 186 E1-E2

Consists of people and places in Littlefield, Texas (1904-1922; 1939; 1970). The collection also includes photographs of a windmill raising, a parade for the district convention of the West Texas Chamber of Commerce, and a page from the 1939 Littlefield yearbook.

Littlefield, Texas
Photograph Collection, undated
1 B/W copy print
SWCPC 187 E3

This collection consists of an image of a ribbon given to the City of Levelland, Texas. The ribbon reads, "Littlefield, West Texas Blue Ribbon City." Littlefield is the county seat of Lamb County. It was named for George W. Littlefield who sold off portions of his Yellow House Ranch. In 1913 the site became a station for the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway. Irrigated farms produce cotton, grain sorghums, and vegetables. Today the community is home to 6,000 West Texans.

Lockwood, Mr. and Mrs. O. W.
Photograph Collection, undated
1 color photo print
SWCPC 732 E1

This collection consists of a single image of Mr. and Mrs. O.W. Lockwood having a meal by a body of water in Alaska. The Lockwoods were from Lorenzo, Texas.

Lone Star Land Company
Photograph Collection, 1909-1912
12 B/W photo prints
SWCPC 419 E1

Comprised of images of the community of Soash, Texas established in 1909 as part of a land promotion project in West Texas.

Soash, Texas was established in 1909 by William Pulver Soash as part of a land development project in northwestern Howard County, Texas. Soash contracted to purchase 100,000 to 175,000 acres of land from Christopher Slaughter. Soash built several business buildings, a post office, water works, telephone exchange and telegraph office, and electric plant. A drought from 1909-1912 discouraged further growth and the town dried up.

Lopez, Barry
Photograph Collection, 1980s-1990s
Numerous prints and slides (4 boxes)

The collection contains prints and slides concentrating on Lopez's research with some of his written works such as
Arctic Dreams, Of Wolves and Men, Apologia, Crow and Weasel, and other writings. Some deal with his speaking engagements, promotional shots, and symposium and conference attendance. For electronic finding aids to Barry Lopez photos see [Lopez4] and [Lopez5 Apologia].

Barry Lopez is a writer of both fictional short stories and non-fiction works concerning natural history. His awards are numerous: American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters, Guggenheim Fellowship, a Lannan Foundation Award, John Burroughs Medal for
Of Wolves and Men, and National Book Award for Arctic Dreams. Lopez was raised in California and New York City and currently lives in Oregon.

Lott, John F.
Photograph Collection, 1895-1920
68 photos
SWCPC 154 E11

Consists of photographs of the Slaughter family and some of their homes (1885-1920) and bulks with portrait photographs of the Slaughter family (1890-1910).

In 1857, George Webb Slaughter established a cattle ranch in Palo Pinto County, Texas. Following the Civil War, Slaughter and his sons were among the first cattlemen to drive herds over the trail to markets in Louisiana and Kansas. Two of his sons, Christopher Columbus Slaughter and John B. Slaughter, built ranching empires in West Texas. John established a ranch in the South Plains in Glasscock, Borden, and Garza Counties. He sold some of this land to cereal manufacturer, C. W. Post, in 1906 to build the farming community of Post, Texas. John's U Lazy S Ranch continues to operate on 56,000 acres under the direction of his grandson, John F. Lott.

Lowrimore Service Stations (Lubbock, Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1933-1940
3 copy prints
SWCPC 57 (I) E5

Consists of photographs of Lowrimore service stations in Lubbock, Texas (1933-1940). William Lowrimore brought his family to Lubbock in 1929 and opened a cooperative cotton gin and service station on Avenue H. His sons, John and William, began the first all night service station in 1935. During the 1940s and 1950s, the family owned stations in the Texas cities of Dallas, Abilene, Amarillo, Plainview, Odessa, and Grand Prairie.

Lubbock and the South Plains
Photograph Collection, 1888-1982
156 B/W copy prints, 1 color photo print, 2 contact sheets, 27 B/W negatives, 10 color slides
SWCPC 454 E1 (A-E) and F1

This collection consists of photographs of Lubbock, Texas which were used in the book, Lubbock and the South Plains. Incorporated in 1909, Lubbock is the hub of the plains. The city was a natural evolution from the pioneer days of the South Plains. Also, it has a rich ranching and agrarian history.

Lubbock Army Air School (Texas)
Photograph Collection, ca. 1940
28 copy prints, 4 copy slides

Consists of photographs of the Lubbock Army Air School, Lubbock, Texas (ca. 1940), and bulks with photographs of officers and facilities (ca. 1940). During World War II, two flight schools were established in the Lubbock, Texas, area for flight training. They were South Plains Army Air School and Lubbock Army Air School. Lubbock Army Air Field was dedicated on June 21, 1942. Following the war, the air field became Reese Air Force Base, which continues to serve as a pilot training school until its closure in 1997.

Lubbock Army Flying School
Photograph Collection, 1943
1 B/W photo print
SWCPC 674 E1

This is a single photo of military dance hall with patrons and music entertainers found within a Lubbock Army Air Field Yearbook. The Lubbock Army Flying School was the predecessor to Reese Air Force Base. Its name change in 1949 and had been in existence since 1941.

Lubbock Arts Alliance
Photograph Collection, 1982-1986 and undated
18 color prints, 2 B/W contact sheets, 14 color slides, 13 color negatives, and 25 B/W negatives
SWCPC 679 E1

This collection consists of a 1986 art exhibition in Lubbock, Texas and various other artworks exhibited in other cities in the United States. The Lubbock Arts Alliance is a city cultural agency charged with promotion of the fine arts for educational and entertainment purposes. They set up the Lubbock Arts Festival annually.

Lubbock Arts Alliance
Photograph Collection, 1991 and undated
31 slides, 105 negatives, and 230 photo prints

This collection consists of shots taken at Alliance events such as artists, vendors, volunteers, and attendees. The Lubbock Arts Alliance is the local arts council of Lubbock, Texas. The Lubbock Arts Alliance is the city’s cultural agency and helps to set up the annual Lubbock Arts Festival.

Lubbock Christian College (Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1979
19 copy prints, 22 copy negatives

Consists of photographs of the McMurry-Lubbock Christian College football game (1979), which was Lubbock Christian College's first football game. McMurry was also Texas Tech's first football opponent (1925).

Lubbock Cotton Oil Mill (Lubbock, Texas)
Photograph Collection, ca. 1920
14 copy prints
SWCPC 57 (I) E2

Consists of photographs of construction of the Lubbock Cotton Oil Mill at Lubbock, Texas (ca. 1920). Located in the industrial district along Avenue A in Lubbock, Texas, the Lubbock Cotton Oil Mill began operation in 1923. Around 1963, the company experienced a period of major expansion. Since its founding, Lubbock Cotton Oil Mill has been a primary producer of cotton seed oil and mixed animal feed.

Lubbock County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1909-1976
29 copy prints, 55 copy negatives, 2 nitrate negatives
SWCPC 299 E1, E2, E7-E12

This artificial collection consists of photographs of Lubbock County, Texas.

Lubbock County Sheriff's Department (Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1890-1968
14 copy prints
SWCPC 299 E6

Consists of portraits of former Lubbock County, Texas, sheriffs.

Lubbock Heritage Society
Photograph Collection, 1990-1995
222 copy negatives; 4 B/W copy prints; 1 B/W contact sheet
SWCPC 401 E2

Consists of images of Lubbock, Texas, architecture, streams, bridges, and houses. The Lubbock Heritage Society attempts to preserve the history and integrity of buildings exemplifying early architecture of Lubbock, Texas, and Lubbock County, Texas.

Lubbock Heritage Society (Lubbock, Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1984
15 contact sheets, 175 photo negatives

Consists of photographs of historic buildings in Lubbock, Texas (1984). The Lubbock Heritage Society began in 1979, through the efforts of the Junior League of Lubbock, to preserve local historic architecture and heritage. Starting with 75 charter members, the society has succeeded in designating historic landmarks and establishing heritage tours of Lubbock sites.

Lubbock Hubbers
Photograph Collection, 1922
2 B/W prints
SWCPC 773 E1

Photographs of the Lubbock Hubbers baseball club. The photos are of opening day in Lubbock, TX. One is a close crowd shot while the other is a distant shot of the playing field. The Lubbock Hubbers began playing baseball on April 29, 1922. Though the team struggled to stay in Lubbock, its best seasons came in the 1940’s under Coach Jackie Sullivan. Due to financial troubles, the team folded in 1956.

Lubbock Pictorial History (Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1880-1950
342 copy prints, 491 copy negatives, 892 slides

This artificial collection has photographs of people, buildings, and events in Lubbock, Texas (1880-1950). These photographs were collected for the publication of
A Pictorial History of Lubbock, Texas, 1880-1950, a project that was underwritten by the Lubbock County Historical Commission in 1976. After publication, the photographs, negatives, and slides were donated to the Southwest Collection archive and may be searched by computer [here].

Lubbock Photograph Collection
Photograph Collection, 1930
1 (8x10) B/W print
SWCPC 894 E1

Photo of the managers of Grissam Robertson Stores, and Joyce Pruit and Pecos Mercantile taken on top of Hotel Lubbock. June 20, 1930.

Lubbock Postcard Collection
Photograph Collection, undated
2 Postcards
SWCPC 850 E1

Beal house near Lubbock.

Lubbock Rangelands
Photograph Collection, undated
2 B/W copy prints; 5 B/W copy negatives
SWCPC 587 E4

Includes images of arid range lands near Lubbock, Texas, lands surrounding the administration building of Texas Technological College, and an advertisement for plows used to cultivate the High Plains of Texas. Bulks with arid range lands. Before becoming an area of intensive cotton production, the range lands surrounding Lubbock, Texas, fed enormous herds of roving bison, followed by cattle in the late 19th century.

Lubbock State Fair Exhibit (Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1922
2 copy prints
SWCPC 57 (I) E1-E4

Consists of photographs from Lubbock's 1922 agricultural fair booth, which won first prize at the State Fair in Dallas, Texas. Until the founding of the Panhandle-South Plains Fair Association in the 1920s, the Lubbock, Texas, Chamber of Commerce selected prize exhibits of farm products annually to represent the county at the Texas State Fair.

Lubbock Symphony Orchestra
Photograph Collection, 1971–1984 and undated
2 color photo prints and B/W 1 photo print
SWCPC 734 E1

This collection consists of two large color photographs of the Lubbock Symphony Orchestra participating in a concert on stage. The next photograph contains three unidentified men, two of which are holding a check from Target, a department store. The Lubbock Symphony Orchestra is composed of professional musicians and offers diverse entertainment with several professional musical guests performing annually.

Lubbock, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1890s-1980s
89 photo prints, 3928 copy prints, 5220 negatives, and 341 slides
SWCPC 57 (A)-(Z)

This large collection consists of photos of individuals, groups of people, architectural structures, and businesses related to Lubbock, Texas. Lubbock was named after Col. Tom S. Lubbock an organizer of the Confederate regiment, Terry’s Texas Rangers. Its county by the same name was created in 1876 from the Bexar District and organized in 1891. The Yellow House River runs through a portion of the city. Its economy is based on agriculture, manufacturing, and education.

The Collection may be searched by computer [

Lubbock, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1862-1984 and undated
96 prints, 29 negatives, 8 slides, and 1 post card

This collection consists of various images of early Lubbock such as of a tornado and tornado damage, individuals and Thomas Lubbock, early construction site, mule teams, horse and buggy, workers, a windmill, buildings on a town square, agriculture activities, water, medicine, hospitals, Texas Tech, pioneers, East Lubbock housing projects, flea market, wagons, courthouse, Lubbock Lake Landmark, and several political figures.

Lubbock, Texas, the county seat of Lubbock County, is located 327 miles northwest of Dallas and 122 miles south of Amarillo. As early as 1884, a federal post office called Lubbock, named for former Texas Ranger Thomas Lubbock, existed in Yellowhouse Canyon. Lubbock incorporated as a city in 1909. Texas Technological College was authorized by the legislature in 1923 and was located in Lubbock.

Lubbock, Texas Chamber of Commerce
Photograph Collection, 1890-1949
457 copy prints
SWCPC 57 (T) E1 and (W) E10

Consists of photographs of people, buildings, and events in Lubbock, Texas (1890-1949). The Lubbock Chamber of Commerce was organized in 1913 to develop new businesses and promote growth for the city. In 1917 it adopted the slogan, "Hub of the Plains," and in 1923 prepared the brief to present to the state locating board for Texas Technological College. The Board of Directors for the Chamber of Commerce also serves as the Lubbock Board of City Development.

Lubbock, Texas Public Schools
Photograph Collection, undated
4 negatives
SWCPC 57 Z24

Includes views of building structures in the Lubbock Independent School District. Negatives are from photos found inside the booklet: "The Lubbock Public Schools Report on 30 Years of Growth," published by the Lubbock Independent School District, 1950.

Lubbock, Texas: Tornado
Photograph Collection, 1970
32 color prints
SWCPC 57 (I) E4

Consists of photographs of the 1970 tornado in Lubbock, Texas, and bulks with photographs of damage to the Great Plains Life Insurance Building, the tallest building in Lubbock (1970).

On the evening of May 11, 1970, a tornado with winds of up to 200 miles per hour touched down in Lubbock, Texas, leaving a path of destruction covering twenty five square miles. Damage estimates exceeded 200 million dollars. The tornado caused twenty six deaths and over 2,000 injuries. Thousands of family units and at least 250 businesses were heavily damaged or destroyed in Lubbock's worst disaster.

Lubbock, Texas: Tornado
Photograph Collection, 1970
5 prints and 19 slides
SWCPC 895 [E]

Includes 5 prints and 19 slides of tornado damage to Clark Equipment Company of Lubbock on May 11, 1970.

Luckett, Jack
Photograph Collection, 1900-1910
15 copy prints, 1 photo, 17 copy negatives

Consists of photographs of the Luckett family of Matador, Texas (1900-1910), and also contains photographs of the Masonic Lodge (1905) and Matador Ranch cowboys (1900).

Luckett left home at age 17 and lived for a time with the Ponca Indians. Later he was employed on the Matador Ranch in Texas, where he rose to the position of wagon boss. In 1902, he married Lenora McClure. They moved to Matador, Texas, where he and T. J. Duncan built the first cotton gin in Motley County.

Lumsden, Callie
Photograph Collection, 1890-1939
9 copy prints, 12 negatives
SWCPC 273 E1-E2

Consists of photographs of people and places in Lynn County, Texas (1890-1939), and bulks with photographs of the Lumsden family in O'Donnell, Texas (1900-1939). These include photographs of the members of the Tahoka Baptist Church (1909); the Lumsden family in O'Donnell, Texas (1890- 1930); a group portrait of Lynn County officials (1929); a Tahoka barbeque (1937); and O'Donnell's first physician (1910).

A native of Fort Worth, Texas, Callie married Lonnie Lumsden of Floyd County in 1906. They moved to Wilson, Texas, in 1909 and established the Wilson State Bank in 1919. After her husband's death in 1951, Callie continued as a director of the bank and was active with the Baptist church and the Buckner Baptist Children's Home in Lubbock, Texas.

Lumsden, Callie
Photograph Collection, 1915 and undated
12 photo prints

Includes family photographs, portraits, football and baseball teams.

Lyles, Mrs. Sam
Photograph Collection, 1850-1895
8 copy prints

Consists of photographs of A. H. Culp and his Texas land grant documents (1850-1895). A. H. Culp of Comanche County served in the Confederate Army and then returned home, where he received a land grant and became a successful horse trader and blacksmith. He later emigrated to Mexico.

Lynn County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1900-1950
47 copy prints, 48 copy negatives
SWCPC 273 E3

Consists of photographs of Lynn County, Texas (1900-1950), and also contains photographs of the land rush at Gail, Texas (1903) and C. C. Slaughter's early ambulance (ca. 1905).

Lynn County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1900-1920s
4 B/W copy prints

Contains photographs of businesses, jails, ranch headquarters, and individuals. Lynn County, Texas, was created in 1876 and organized in 1903. The county was named after an Alamo hero, W. Lynn. The county seat is Tahoka, Texas, and its industry relies on cotton, peanuts, and grain sorghums. They also raise cattle.

Lynn County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1918
1 tinted postcard
SWCPC 273 E4

The postcard features the Tahoka High School. It was sent in 1918 to Winnie Billings Moore, who lived in Lubbock, Texas. The two original one-cent U.S. Postage stamps are still intact.

Sallie Sinclair is the niece of Winnie Billings Moore who is the daughter of Flora Billings McDaniel. Tahoka is the county seat of Lynn County, Texas. It was organized in 1903.