Photograph Collection, 1900-1950s and undated
2064 B/W prints and negatives
Collection of various images of family portraits and activities, ranch life and activities, cattle, sheep, and horses, rabbit drive, Confederate veterans reunions, scenery, homes, agriculture, livestock eradication program of the 1930s and water concerning the McEntire Family and the U Ranch in Sterling County, Texas.
The U Ranch, comprised of 18 sections, is located 10 miles northwest of Sterling City in Sterling County, Texas. The ranch was founded by Col. W. R. McEntire, a Civil War Confederate veteran, when he acquired the land from M. B. Stephenson in 1880. Over the years the ranch grew from 15 sections to 150 sections. Some of the land was passed down to the children of W. R. McEntire. George received title to 23,000 acres in 1906. Each of his children George H., Jr. and Virginia inherited 16,233 acres in 1962. Virginia ran the ranch the under the name VJ Ranch while George H. McEntire, Jr. called his the U Ranch. Currently the ranch is owned by Ruth Caldwell the daughter of George H. McEntire, Jr. Her son Chris manages the sheep and cattle ranch for the family.
Photograph Collection, 1912-1966
50 copy prints
Consists of photographs of the Arch Underwood family of Lubbock, Texas, and their cotton compress facilities (1912-1966). These include photographs of a mechanical cotton stripper (1966); cotton being hauled by mule train in Anson, Texas (1905); and of compressing and warehousing cotton (1966).
Harris F. Underwood established a cotton compress and warehousing industry in Lubbock, Texas, in the early years of the twentieth century. Under his son, Arch, and grandsons, this business prospered and became a prominent part of the cotton industry on the South Plains.
Unfred, Joe D.
Photograph Collection, 1939-1949
1971 B/W prints and 800 B/W negatives
Collection of mostly photographs of Joe Unfred’s military experiences during World War II while serving in Europe. Images depict his training at Fort Bliss, Texas; Fort Polk, Louisiana; Mojave Desert, California; time in England; and marching through France and Germany. Some images show him before the war at home and at Texas Technological College and after the war in Europe and at home living in New Home, Texas, with his wife Betty.
Joe D. Unfred was raised in the Texas South Plains. He attended Texas Technological College in 1938 and served as a Captain in the U. S. Army in the Third Armored Division. The Division was the first to breach the Siegfried Line, the first to cross the German border, and capture the first German town. His military experiences were in the European Theatre during World War II. He acquired Nazi memorabilia during his venture into Germany and brought it back to the U.S. While in the military he took many photographs of the day-to-day experiences of his fellow troops. Joe Unfred worked as a public relations manager for Gifford-Hill during the 1960s-1970s. He was born November 6, 1919 in Groesbeck and died July 13, 2001 in Lubbock, Texas. He married Betty from Marysville, Pennsylvania on July 17, 1944.
Photograph Collection, 1986-1988
17 B/W photo prints
This collection consists of photographs of groups of individuals and of artwork. Unitarian churches were first organized in Texas in 1906 with 118 members. After World War II much growth was experienced as a result of the "fellowship movement." Lay-led groups were formed in a number of cities and towns. In 1973 there were sixteen churches and eighteen fellowships in Texas with a combined membership of 3,571. By 1990 membership had grown to 4,440.
Unitarian Universalist Church (Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1919-1982
46 copy prints
SWCPC 289 E1
Consists of photographs of members of the Unitarian Universalist Church in Texas (1919-1990).
U. S. Department of Energy: Salt Repository Project Office
Photograph Collection, 1938-1987
33 photo prints, 3 mounted prints, and 1594 negatives
Contains images of individuals, aerial views, office interiors, disposal sites, computer generated images, 3-D models, construction activity primarily concerning the Salt Repository Project Office of the U. S. Department of Energy. In the 1980s the U. S. Department of Energy led an effort to establish nuclear waste disposal sites in several states. One of the states was Texas, and the site picked was in Deaf Smith County. The Deaf Smithproposal fell through due to protests from the local community.
United States Feed Grain Council
Photograph Collection, undated
184 B/W photographs
SWCPC 875 E1
Pictures of the U.S. Feed Grain Council.
United States Navy Recognition Training
Photograph Collection, 1941-1945
59 B/W glass slides
SWCPC 550 E1
Collection contains black and white glass slide images of various World War II era British aircraft used for recognition training by the U.S. Navy.
U.S.S. Tom Green
Photograph album, 1953
1 microfilm reel (1 ft.) : negative
Contains photographs of an American ship named for Texas patriot Thomas Green and photographs of the commissioning, launching, operations, officers, and crew of the U.S.S. Tom Green.
General Tom Green (1814-1864) fought in the Battle of San Jacinto. He also fought in the Confederate Army and during the war with Mexico, and became Captain of the "Travis County Volunteers." Green was the county surveyor in Fayette County, Texas.
University of Texas at Austin: Law School
Photograph Collection, 1888
1 copy print
Consists of a photograph of the senior class at the University of Texas Law School (1888).
The Law Department of the University of Texas opened in September of 1883 in Austin, Texas. Its first professors of law were Oran M. Roberts and Robert S. Gould. The department became a separate school for graduate study in 1920.