Bacon, Warren A.
Photograph Collection, 1918-1980
7 copy prints
SWCPC 57 (I) E19, E21

Consists of photographs of the Warren A. Bacon home, Lubbock, Texas (1918-1980).

Warren A. Bacon built his house at 1802 Broadway in Lubbock, Texas, in 1916. The neoclassical style mansion includes concrete columns capped with stones, wooden railings, and other details. In 1983 the house was recognized as an historic landmark, and currently houses the Episcopal Diocese of Northwest Texas.

Bailey, Max
Photograph Collection, ca. 1918-1920
8 copy prints
SWCPC 43 E2, E7

Consists of photographs of Desdemona, Texas, during the oil boom (ca. 1920), and bulks with street scenes of Desdemona (1919).

Located in southeastern Eastland County, Desdemona was originally settled in 1860. In September 1918, the Joe Duke discovery well came in, leading to an oil boom that saw Desdemona covered with a sea of oil rigs--the Desdemona field was drilled by numerous small operators. Crowded conditions led to increased lawlessness and by 1920, the Texas Rangers had to intervene to re-establish order. Oil production quickly peaked at 7,373,825 barrels in 1919 and then began to drop.

Bairfield Family
Photograph Collection, 1915-1917
20 photos, 36 photo negatives

Consists of photographs of daily life for the Bairfield family near Clarendon, Texas (1915-1917). The Bairfield family operated a ranch near Clarendon, Texas, during the early 1900s, and built a school on the ranch land for children in the rural area.

Baker, T. Lindsay
Photograph Collection, 1900-1972
25 B/W copy prints
SWCPC 320 E2-E3

Collection contains images of historical markers, Fort Jessup, Texas, portraits of Texas Rangers (law enforcement officers), a farm entrance, cattle chute, man on horseback, buffalo, buildings, town, early automobiles, a freight wagon and team, and an outhouse. Bulks with buildings.

T. Lindsay Baker, a native of Cleburne, Texas, received three degrees from Texas Tech University and has written several books on Texas and the American West. He has served as curator for several historical museums and archives in Texas.

Baker Mercantile Company
Photograph Collection, undated
1 B/W print and 2 B/W negatives
SWCPC 788 E1

Collection contains portraits of Calvin Harris. Opened in 1894 in Lockney, Texas, the Baker Mercantile Company served as a prominent retailer during the settlement and growth of the surrounding region. Established by J. A. and Alice Baker, the store remained under family operation until 1972 when it closed. The store received a Texas State Historical Marker in 1971.

Bandera, Texas
Photograph Collection, undated
1 B/W copy print and 1 negative

This collection consists of a photograph of the interior of the J. Marvin Hunter Museum in Bandera. Bandera is the county seat of Bandera County, Texas. It is located on the Edwards Plateau. The economic base includes tourism, hunting, fishing, ranch supplies, and forest products.

Banks and Bankers
Photograph Collection
2 copy prints, 4 copy negatives
SWCPC 57 (I) E8 and (J) E8

This is an artificial collection of photographs of banks and bankers (1890-1938).

Barnard, Mrs. M. E. S.
Photograph Collection, 1890-1935
89 copy prints
SWCPC 294, E1-E3

Consists of photographs of the Black, English, and Stanford families in various Texas towns (1890-1950). It also contains photographs of pioneer school buildings (undated) and an ice man with his horses and wagon (undated).

E. B. Black of Opelika, Alabama, settled in Hereford, Texas, in 1901. He married Carrie English and opened a furniture store and undertaking business. When Black died in 1945, his son-in-law, Jesse Stanford, assumed the management of the furniture store.

Barnes, Agnes Rinker
Photograph Collection, 1920
8 copy prints
SWCPC 299 E3

Consists of photographs of Lubbock County, Texas, including photographs of a derailed train (ca. 1920s). Barnes was a pioneer from Garza County, Texas. She grew up on a farm and retired in Lubbock County, Texas.

Barr, Ava and Cliff
Photograph Collection, 1926-1972
134 B/W photo prints
SWC 566 E1-E2

Collection of agricultural images including livestock, state fairs, judging contests, and administrators, faculty, students, and campus scenes from Texas Tech University. All images pertain to the career of W. L. Stangel, longtime Dean of Agriculture at Texas Tech University.

Ava Barr was the daughter of W. L. Stangel who served as the Dean of Agriculture at Texas Tech University beginning in 1945. Stangel joined the Texas Tech faculty in 1925 and retired in 1958. He was well known to the Texas ranching and farming industries.

Barrow, Clyde, and Bonnie Parker
Photograph Collection, 1934
17 copy prints

Consists of photographs of Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow and the law enforcement officials who killed them (1934). These include autopsy photos and photos of the bullet-riddled car and the monument at the site where they were killed.

During the 1920s Clyde Barrow committed numerous petty crimes and, in 1930, was placed in prison. Paroled in 1932, Barrow was joined by Bonnie Parker in a series of crimes in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana, which included murder, kidnapping, and robbery. They were shot by law enforcement officials near Arcadia, Louisiana in 1934.

Baxter, Phil
Photograph Collection, 1879-1959
130 copy prints

Consists of photographs of Phil Baxter, his band the "Texas Tommies," and celebrities with whom he associated during his music career, and bulks (1926-1959) with prints of autographed photographs of singers and musicians Baxter knew. It also includes photographs of Baxter with E. B. Germany, the co-chair of John Nance Garner's campaign to secure the 1932 Democratic presidential nomination; Curtis Sanford, the founder of the Cotton Bowl; and of George Clark Bogart, a relative of William Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Baxter was a composer and band leader during the Big Band era of the 1920s and 1930s. The Texas Tommies played throughout the United States during this period. Baxter also wrote songs for Bing Crosby and Ginger Rogers.

Beedle, Macie Mozelle (Huffman)
Photograph Collection, 1913 and undated
13 photo prints

Includes primarily photographs of Macie Mozelle Huffman Beedle: one photograph of Macie with Emma Leonara (Lains) Huffman and one with Ronald Vance Redus. Macie was born April 13, 1899. Emma Leonara (Lains) Huffman was born October 2, 1873. They moved to Texas in September 1899. Macie Beedle is a second cousin to Wanda James’ husband, Thomas Carl James, Jr.

Bennett, Isadora
Photograph Collection, 1950 and undated
9 photo prints

Consists of photographs relating to native dances from Mexico and the West Indies. Images of West Indian and Mexican dancers. Three principal dancers are Josefina Garcia, Jean Leon Destine, and Jeanne Ramon "Martinique," circa 1950.

Benton, Marion B.
Photograph Collection, undated
1,249 color and B/W photo prints

Includes the Benton family, Klattenhoff family, travel photographs from Fiji, Seattle, Mexico, San Diego, and Australia. There are sixteen oversized photographs included.

Bertrand, Margaret
Photograph Collection, 1900-1977
21 copy prints
SWCPC 295 E1

Consists of photographs of German settlers in St. Francis, Texas (1900-1920). Contains photographs of the first communion in St. Francis (1915); and a "horseless carriage" (1913).

Around 1900 a group of German families settled at St. Francis, Texas. Margaret Bertrand is a descendant of these early settlers.

Bickerstaff, Connie
Photograph Collection, 1920-1930
30 B/W copy prints
SWCPC 366 E6

Is comprised of images of traveling tent show entertainers in the 1920s. Bulks with same. The Grandi Brothers and Brunk's Comedians were popular entertainers who traveled with tent shows in the 1920s across Texas and the Midwest.

Bickley, Cecil
Photograph Collection, 1944-1948
13 B/W copy prints

Bulks with images of Denver City, Texas in the mid to late 1940s. Includes street scenes, churches, parades, automobiles, hospital, and civic groups. Bulks with same.

Big Bend National Park (Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1949
68 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the scenery at Big Bend National Park, and includes a photograph of the ghost town of Terlingua, Texas.

Big Bend National Park covers 788,682 acres in the bend of the Rio Grande in Brewster County, Texas. Created in 1943, the park centers around the Chisos Mountains, where the Rocky Mountain and Appalachian systems converge.

Big Spring, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1913, 1965
9 copy prints

This artificial collection contains photographs of street scenes and buildings in Big Spring, Texas, and bulks with photographs of hotels (1965).

Big Spring, Texas, with a population of nearly 25,000, is the county seat of Howard County. Originally a popular campsite along Sulphur Draw at the foot of the Caprock escarpment, the town was officially established in 1880 as a railroad center on the Texas and Pacific line. Since that time, it has been a shipping point for livestock, cotton, grain, and oil well machinery.

Biggers Family
Photograph Collection, undated
294 prints
SWCPC 863 E1

Family photo album (needs conservation) gives itemized list.

Biggs, Glen
Photograph Collection, 1958-1964
395 prints
SWCPC 865 (F)

Slides and Photographs of the Guadalupe Mountains 1958-1964

Biondini, Johnnie
Photograph Collection, undated
1 color photo print

Image of an Italian bread oven used in Thurber, Texas. Thurber is now a ghost town, although between 1918 and 1920 the town was the principal bituminous coal mining site in Texas. Thurber is located about seventy-five miles west of Fort Worth in northwest Erath County.

Black, William
Photograph Collection, 1879-1883
55 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the William Black Family and the San Saba Springs Ranch.

William Black served the Confederacy during the Civil War and later engaged in numerous business ventures across the South. In 1884, he purchased fifty sections of land at the headwaters of the San Saba River in Menard County, Texas. This became the San Saba Springs Ranch, where Black was renowned for his Angora goats. Until his death in 1931, Black remained a prominent figure in the sheep and goat industry in Texas.

Blackmon, Daniel O.
Photograph Collection, 1899-1900
50 prints and 1 oversized image
SWCPC 838 E1-E2

Blackmon's Family and World War I images, 1899-1990

Blaisdell, Doris A.
Photograph Collection, undated
3 B/W photo prints

Comprised of photographs of Mary-Virginia Lee and her artwork in her Santa Fe, New Mexico studio-home.

Doris Blaisdell was the bibliographer at the Southwest Collection at Texas Tech University and the wife of Dr. Lowell A. Blaisdell, a former professor of history. She is active in the Unitarian Universalist Women’s Federation and other women’s organizations.

Blake, Robert W.
Photograph Collection 1976, 1978
225 copy prints

Consists of photographs from two receptions given by Blake to honor President Gerald Ford (1976) and Texas Republicans John Connally and John Tower (1978). It also contains photographs of ex-Presidents Gerald Ford and George H. W. Bush, and his wife Barbara.

Born in Houston, Texas, in 1920, Robert W. Blake served in the Army Air Force during World War II. He became successful in the oil business and settled in Lubbock, Texas. Blake has been active in Republican Party politics and is a long time friend of former President George Bush.

Blasingame, Tom
Photograph Collection, 1989
1 color print
SWCPC 767 E1

Photo of Tom Blasingame and family, which includes his daughter, her husband and children. Tom Blasingame was a cowboy who began his career on the JA Ranch in 1916. Mr. Blasingame was the oldest working cowboy in Texas namely Goodnight, Texas. He died next to his horse, near a creek, with his arms folded.

Bledsoe, Willis H.
Photograph Collection, 1896-1963 and undated
272 photo prints and 1 negative

This collection consists of photographs of individuals, groups of individuals, architecture, school children, interior of a machine shop, Texas Tech University, wake of Senator William H. Bledsoe, and street scenes.

William Harrison Bledsoe was an attorney, politician, and investor. He was born in 1869 in Cleburne, Texas and died in 1936. He set up his law practice in Lubbock, Texas and eventually the law office became Bledsoe, Crenshaw, and Dupree. Bledsoe also served in the Texas legislature as a House of Representative member and as Senator. He helped to sign into law the creation of Texas Technological College.

Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
Photograph Collection, 1928-1969
41 copy prints
SWCPC 356 E2, E3, E10

Consists of photographs of Bob Wills in various bands (1928-1937; 1969), and also includes a photograph of Texas Governor, W. Lee O'Daniel.

Bob Wills, who grew up in the Texas Panhandle, came from a family of fiddle players. He formed a band in 1931, and landed a job on KFJZ radio in Fort Worth sponsored by Burrus Mills. His band became known as the Light Crust Doughboys. After Wills was fired he took his band to Tulsa, Oklahoma, where they became Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys. He is recognized as the creator of western swing music. He died in May 1975.

Bogener, Steve
Photograph Collection, 1999
49 color slides and 15 color photo prints
SWCPC 708 E1

This collection consists of several slides on "water-witching", which relies on a forked branch or metal rod to locate water. In addition, some images contain several experts involved in the research. One copy print is a copy of a newspaper article about "water- witching." Also includes several photographic prints and slides taken by Steve Bogener while visiting Blanco Canyon and Floyd County Historical Museum. Included in these images are exhibited artifacts (horseshoes, horseshoe nails, copper cross-bow dart points, three-fingered gauntlet, etc.) related to Coronado at the Museum. Also included is Cecil Pope at Blanco Canyon along a dirt road, Sharon Bogener’s hand holding fossilized prehistoric camel bones, and a group photo of Nancy Marble, Steve Bogener, Cecil Pope, and two volunteers in front of the Floyd County Historical Museum.

Dr. Steve Bogener was an employee at the Southwest Collection at Texas Tech University where he also received his Ph.D. in 1997. Dr. Bogener worked with Southwest Collection for nearly five years handling the Exhibit and Outreach Program.

Bogener, Steve
Photograph Collection, 1980-1999 and undated
12 color photo prints, 43 slides
SWCPC 708 E2

This collection consists of several photographic prints and slides taken by Steve Bogener while visiting Blanco Canyon and Floyd County Historical Museum. Included in these images are exhibited artifacts (horseshoes, horseshoe nails, copper crossbow dart points, three-fingered gauntlet, etc.) related to Coronado at the Museum. Also included is Cecil Pope at Blanco Canyon along a dirt road, Sharon Bogener’s hand holding fossilized prehistoric camel bones, and a group photo of Nancy Marble, Steve Bogener, Cecil Pope, and two volunteers in front of the Floyd County Historical Museum.

Bogue, Mamie
Photograph Collection, 1942-1943
36 B/W prints
SWCPC 820 E1

Images are of Mrs. Nora Alean Hudnall Runnels during her stay at the Ladies Hospital at Sanatorium, Texas, for two years. Some images depict family members, nurses, doctors, patients, and hospital facilities.

Mamie Runnels Bogue is a resident of East Texas and a member of the East Texas Historical Association. Nora Alean Hudnall Runnels and Azmon (A. Z.) Runnels were the parents of Mamie Bogue. Mrs. Runnels suffered such internal loss of fluids that she became a long-term patient at the ladies hospital. She died in July 1978 living longer than her doctors’ expectations. Azmon was an oil field worker. Sanatorium, Texas, is a small community northwest of San Angelo.

Boles Family
Photograph Collection, ca. 1890s-1949 and undated
165 photo prints, copy prints, and negatives

This collection consists of photographs of individuals, animals, and scenes of ranch life on the Boles Ranch. Mr. William M. Lay was the first sheriff of Lubbock County, Texas. His family also owned the Boles Ranch in Lubbock, Texas.

Boles Ranch
Photograph Collection, undated
1 B/W 6x24-inch panoramic print
SWCPC 771 E1

Image of Boles Ranch with ranch house, barn, fenced pastures, cattle, small pond, and a single rancher on horseback. The upper portion of the plateau can be seen in the background.

The Boles Ranch was once located in Lubbock, Texas along the Yellow House Canyon Draw and Buffalo Lakes. It was once owned by George M. Boles who arrived in Garza County, Texas in 1888. He is considered a pioneer in the South Plains.

Boone, Clyde D.
Photograph Collection, 1916
25 copy prints

Contains photographs that were taken near Marfa, Texas, during the cross-border raids by Pancho Villa. Featured are photos of military equipment and artillery used during this time period.

Clyde D. Boone, born in 1900, died in Marfa, Texas, in 1960.

Borden County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1889-1910, 1941
116 copy prints
SWCPC 17 E1-E2

Consists of photographs of daily activities in Borden County, Texas, around the turn of the century, and bulks with photographs of Gail, Texas (1890-1910). It also contains photographs of the Gail chapter of Woodmen of the World (1907); a baptism in a tank (ca. 1890); and the Borden County court house (ca. 1900).

Borden County, Texas, organized in 1890 was named for Gail Borden, the inventor of condensed milk, is located along the southern edge of the Llano Estacado; the city of Gail is the county seat.

Boreing, Ricky V. and W. V.
Photograph Collection, 1938-1943 and undated
9 B/W copy prints and 9 negatives

Collection consists of image of W. V. Boreing in front of Yellowhouse Ranch barn, performing a rope trick with lasso in 1938, and several other ranch activities.

W. V. Boreing was born in 1912 and died in 1990. He served as a cowboy, trapper, longshoreman, and ranch foreman. Boreing worked on several West Texas ranches including the Yellowhouse, L E, and Sand Creek ranches.

Boren Family
Photograph Collection, 1880-1910
11 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the Boren family and early structures in Post, Texas (1880-1910). George Boren came from Bell County, Texas, in 1879 and established a ranch near the future site of Post, Texas. His son, J. M. Boren, worked as a teamster and later became the first judge of Garza County.

Bowden, Clifton S.
Photograph Collection, 1850-1915
35 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the Clifton S. Bowden family of Dublin, Texas (1850-1915). The Bowden family lived in Dublin beginning around 1900. Clifton S. Bowden, a druggist, moved to Dublin from Acton in Hood County, Texas, to establish the Overton Drug Company. He served as a member of the Dublin City Council for several years and, in 1925, held the office of mayor pro-tem for Dublin.

Bowman, Joe W. (Joseph Wylie)
Photograph Collection, undated
1 negative
SWCPC 871 F1

1 negative from Reference File.

Boyd, Hiley
Photograph Collection, undated
1 B/W print
SWCPC 373 E2

Photo of Hiley Boyd Jr. speaking to an oral historian. Mr. Boyd, son of Hiley Boyd Sr., gave detailed biographies of his father and mother. He is speaking on ranch life, cattle drives and the Slaughter ranch. His father was the foreman of the C. C. Slaughter Cattle Company and Ranch from 1898-1924.

Boyd, Hiley T., Sr.
Photograph Collection, 1900
27 copy prints

Consists of photographs of working cowboys on the Boyd Ranch (1900).

Boyd, foreman for the Slaughter Cattle Company from 1897-1910, later established his own ranch in Cochran County, Texas. His son, Hiley Jr., ranched and served as a director of the Ranching Heritage Center at Texas Tech University.

Bradley, Lee
Photograph Collection, 1999
14 color 4x5 prints
SWCPC 342 E14

The collection contains photographs of Ms. Lee Bradley’s apartment and scenic areas in Las Vegas, Nevada. Images also include photos of buildings on the University of Nevada Las Vegas campus.

A Lubbock native, Lee Bradley is a Texas Tech graduate and former employee of the Southwest Collection. She moved to Las Vegas, Nevada in late 1997. 

Bragg, Mrs. Cecil T.
Photograph Collection, 1982
1 B/W copy print: 5x7

This consists of a photograph of Cecil T. Bragg presenting a painted portrait of U. S. Congressman Ralph Hall to him and his wife Mary Ellen. Ralph Hall is a Democratic Representative of District 4 from Rockwall, Texas.

Branch, Hettie Wallace Fowler
Photograph Collection, 1900-1962
4 copy prints
SWCPC 39 (A) E7, (B) E18

This collection consists of photographs of Daniel Webster "80 John" Wallace and his descendants (1900-1962). Hettie Wallace Fowler Branch is a descendent of 80 John Wallace.

Brazell, Alton
Photograph Collection, 1904, 1926
4 copy prints
SWCPC 57 (K) E1

Consists of photographs of the first cotton gin in Lubbock, Texas (1904), and a panoramic view of the city (1926).

Born in Blum, Texas, Alton Brazell farmed in Lubbock County, Texas, for several years before being elected Lubbock County Commissioner in 1959. He has been active in civic affairs, the Lubbock Chamber of Commerce, Lubbock County Historical Commission, South Plains Association of Governments, and the Ranching Heritage Center.

Brazil Land, Cattle, and Packing Company (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
Photograph Collection, 1911-1917
257 photos
SWCPC 64 (H) E3

Consists of photographs of operations and daily work of the Brazil Land, Cattle, and Packing Company of Sao Paulo, Brazil (1911-1917).

Murdo Mackenzie, from 1911 to 1917, served as manager of the Brazil Land, Cattle, and Packing Company out of Sao Paulo, Brazil. The company raised beef cattle in undeveloped areas of South America for export to Europe at minimal expense.

Breckenridge, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1898-1925
119 copy prints, 127 copy negatives
SWCPC 13 E1-E4

Consists of photographs of Breckenridge, Texas (1898-1925), and includes photographs of oil derricks, a devastating petroleum fire (1920s), and a panoramic view of the town (1925).

Breckenridge, Texas, county seat of Stephens County, has a population of 7,000. Established in 1885, Breckenridge was the center for an oil boom from 1918 to 1921. Presently, its industry centers around machine shops and cotton gins. Images in this collection have been digitized and are listed [
here] and viewable [here].

Breedlove, William Clent
Photograph Collection, 1910s-1940s
320 prints and negatives

Consists of images of airplanes, airports, and pilots concerning the history of aviation in West Texas, Lubbock, and the Breedlove Aerial Service. One photo album is included. William Clent Breedlove was a pioneer South Plains aviator, who was born in 1900 in Wolfe City, Texas. As manager of the Lubbock Municipal Airport (1930-1940) and a pilot, he stimulated interest in South Plains aviation.

As an Army Air Corps pilot, Breedlove participated in General Billy Mitchell's battleship bombing test in 1921. In the 1930s he taught in the civilian pilot training program, a precursor to the war training service, during World War II. On December 20, 1941, Breedlove moved his aerial service to his commercial airport southwest of Lubbock, Texas. From there, he carried on a glider training program, and operated related training programs at Plainview and Lamesa, Texas. Breedlove retired in 1947 and died in 1953.

Breedlove, William
Photograph Collection, undated
9 B/W photos and a stamp
SWCPC 869 F1

Photos of Clent Breedlove and aviation from Reference File.

Brewster County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1886-1960
391 copy prints
SWCPC 41, E1-E3

Consists of photographs of Brewster County, Texas (1886-1960), and bulks with photographs of street scenes in Alpine, Texas, and rural scenes in Brewster County (1900-1940). Available images are listed [

Located in the Big Bend area of Texas, Brewster County is the largest county in the state, covering 5,935 square miles, which includes Big Bend National Park. The county was organized in 1887 with Alpine as the county seat. Ranching is the main industry in this county, and the rugged terrain supports a population of about 8,100.

Brewster County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1888-1967
131 B/W contact prints: 2 ½ X 2 ½"

This includes photographs of groups of people, architecture, ranching activities, geographic locations, road building and life along the Texas-Mexico border.

Brewster County is the largest county in Texas. Its mountains and canyons have a distinctive geology, plant and animal life. It was organized in 1887. The economic base is Sul Ross University, ranching, tourism, government/services, retirement developments, and hunting leases.

Bridwell, Joe S.
Bridwell Ranch Photograph Collection, 1932-1965
47 copy prints

The collection consists of photographs of the prize-winning cattle on the Bridwell Hereford Ranch (1932-1965).

In 1932, Joe S. Bridwell purchased from Sidney Webb 16,000 acres of the Two Buckle Ranch in Archer and Clay Counties of north central Texas. The Bridwell Ranch became known for its herd of registered Hereford cattle.

Briggs, George E. and Mrs. Jack Donnell
Photograph Collection, 1894-1900
42 B/W copy prints

Collection contains images of Ward County, Texas. Includes buildings, crops, families, school group photograph, early settlers, bank, aqueduct, irrigated farming, mules, stable, harvesting equipment, circa 1894. Bulks with crops. Irrigated farming began in Ward County before the turn of the century, utilizing waters of the Pecos, tributary streams and spring systems.

Brillhart Family
Photograph Collection, 1893-1914
7 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the Brillhart family (1893-1914), and also contains a print of West Texas State Normal College on fire in Canyon (1914).

Samuel C. Brillhart established a ranch in Ochiltree County in the Texas Panhandle in 1886. His son, Herbert, married Eulalia Bowen, and later bought the Bowen Ranch to add to the family holdings.

Briscoe County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1895-1968
41 copy prints, 1 photo print
SWCPC 14 E1-E3

Consists of photographs of people and places in Briscoe County and Silverton, Texas (1895-1929, 1968). It also contains prints of women on muleback (1903) and an historical marker for the Battle of Palo Duro Canyon (1968).

Located on 887 square miles in the Texas Panhandle, Briscoe County was organized in 1892 and named for Andrew Briscoe, a veteran of the Texas Revolution. Cotton is the primary crop for the county of 2100 population. Silverton is the county seat.

Briscoe County (Texas) Military Trail Marker
Photograph Collection, 1968
1 photo print

Consists of a photograph (1968) of the marker commemorating the 1874 battle of Palo Duro Canyon. In 1874, Colonel Ranald Mackenzie and the Fourth Cavalry campaigned against the Comanche Indians at Palo Duro Canyon, where Mackenzie's forces routed the warriors, captured women and children, and destroyed the Indian horses. After the battle, the Comanche Indians were confined on reservation lands near Fort Sill, Oklahoma.

Brittingham, Sally
Photograph Collection, 1945
1 copy print

Consists of one photograph of young Sally Brittingham posing in her grandmother's (Sally Reynolds Matthews) wedding dress which was originally worn in 1876.

Brittingham is the granddaughter of Sally Reynolds Matthews, who was a pioneer in Shackelford County, Texas, and the author of Interwoven, a Texas classic.

Bronte Enterprise (Coke County, Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1917-1935
5 copy prints

Consists of photographs of Bronte, Texas, and bulks with interior photographs of the Bronte Enterprise (ca. 1917). It also contains a photograph of the depot at Fort Chadbourne (undated).

The Bronte Enterprise began weekly publication in March 1906. Ben Oglesby purchased the newspaper in 1948, and now publishes the Enterprise and the Robert Lee Observer in Bronte.

Brown, Bertha
Photograph Collection, 1950-1970
5 B/W acetate negatives

Collection includes glass plate images and acetate reproductions of a fishing pier, palm trees, and landscapes. Bulks with palm trees. Brown Studio was located in Lubbock, Texas. The studio photographed many subjects in and around the Lubbock, Texas area.

Brown County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1938-1949 and undated
25 B/W photographs and 2 color photo prints: various sizes

Comprised of photographs of a water treatment plant, bridge construction, an irrigation canal under construction and a disposal plant.

Brown County, Texas, was organized in 1857 and named for frontiersman Henry S. Brown. The economy is based on agribusiness, general manufacturing, and it is a distribution center.

Brown County, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1880-1938, 1956-1972
188 copy prints, 10 photos
SWCPC 22 E1-E13

Consists of photographs of Brown County, Texas, and bulks with photographs of Brownwood, Texas (1900-1925). It also contains photographs of the Santa Fe Harvey House girls (undated), the interior of Renfro Drug Store (1909), a street scene in Brownwood, Texas (1880), the Executive Committee of West Texas Chamber of Commerce (1924), the Zephyr cyclone (1909), a Brownwood oil field (1918), and the Brownwood Bulletin Excursion Farmers Congress train car (1915).

This is an artificial collection of photographs of Brown County, Texas. Organized in 1856, Brown County covers the Pecan Bayou valley in central Texas. Brownwood, the largest city, became the county seat in 1857. For many years, Brownwood was a cotton buying center; today, however, local industry depends on livestock and agriculture. Images in this collection have been digitized and are listed [
here] and viewable [here].

Brown County Water Improvement District (Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1934-1964
29 photos, 44 copy prints
SWCPC 19 E1-E2

This is an artificial collection that consists of photographs of the construction of water distribution structures for flood control at Brownwood, Texas. Also includes photographs of recreational use of Lake Brownwood and of a water drilling machine.

The Brown County Water Improvement District was created in 1926 to insure a municipal water supply for Brownwood, Texas, and to improve irrigation on farm lands throughout the county. Its major project was building a dam on Pecan Bayou in 1931 which filled Lake Brownwood and opened a large area of river valley land to irrigation.

Brown, Durwood
Photograph Collection, 1930-1940
39 copy prints
SWCPC 356 E5

This collection contains photos of country and western bands (1930-1940). These include the following bands: (1) Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys, (2) Crystal Springs [Ft. Worth, Texas], (3) The Cherry Sisters, (4) Clif Bruner and His Texas Wanderers, (5) Bar-X-Cowboys ,(6) Milton Brown and His Musical Brownies, (7) KGKO'S-Dude Ranchers, (8) the Modern Mountaineers, (9) The Light Crust Doughboys, and (10) Ross Rythmn Rascals. Durwood Brown was the brother of Milton Brown, an original member of Bob Wills' Light Crust Doughboys in Fort Worth, Texas.

Brown, Harold "Tex"
Photograph Collection, 1932
1 copy print
SWCPC 356 E9

Consists of a photograph of Bob Wills at a saloon in Turkey, Texas (1932).

Harold "Tex" Brown of Floydada, Texas, organized the annual Bob Wills Day in Turkey, Texas.

Brown, Maxine
Photograph Collection, undated
4 B/W prints, 3 negatives and a 3rd-place ribbon
SWCPC 870 F1

Prints, negatives and ribbon from Reference File.

Brown, Richard
Photograph Collection, circa WW II
10 B/W negatives and 6 copy prints: 4 x 5

Includes photographs of Richard Brown’s World War II naval career. Richard Brown, a native of Lubbock, Texas, received commendations for his service in the U.S. Navy.

Brown Studio
Photograph Collection, undated
21 B/W photo prints; 21 B/W nitrate photo negatives

Collection contains images of football players in various poses, and the Childress, Texas, railroad depot.

Brown's Photographic Studio (Lubbock, Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1930-1934
774 contact prints

Consists of photographs of Texas Technological College (1930-1934). Brown's Photographic Studio operated in Lubbock, Texas, from the 1920s to the 1950s. Portraits comprised the majority of their work, but the studio also covered many events at Texas Technological College.

Brownwood Bulletin (Texas)
Photograph Collection, 1880-1941
138 copy prints

Consists of photographs of Brown County, Texas. The Brownwood Bulletin began publication in 1884 as a weekly paper supporting the Populist movement. During 1976, the Bulletin ran a series of photographs that were more than twenty-five years old as part of the United States Bicentennial celebration.

Brownwood, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1980-1990
12 color slides
SWCPC 22 E13

Consists of twelve 120-mm color slides showing children and teachers at school playground. Images include school building, playground equipment, baseball field and backstop. Bulks with children on playground. Brownwood, Texas is the county seat of Brown County. Their economy is based on varied industries, distribution centers, and retail trade centers. Available images are listed [

Brunk Family
Photograph Collection, 1920-1976
38 B/W copy prints, 1 photo print, and 40 negatives

This collection consists of photographs of groups of people involved in tent show productions, tents used for tent show performances, performing artists, audiences watching performances, and family portraits.

Henry Brunk’s tent shows toured the states of Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas from the early 1910s to the early 1960s. He was manager of the traveling road shows for many years. At one time they had seven tent shows running but after World War II, tent shows declined in popularity. They brought cheap entertainment to the rural areas of the southwest.

Bryan, H. B.
Photograph Collection, 1936-1944
2 B/W photo prints
SWCPC 707 E1

This collection consists of one panoramic black-and-white group photo of Tax Assessors and Collectors Convention at New Braunfels, Texas, and another 8 x 10 photo of the Grand Lodge members of Texas.

Little information is known about H. B. Bryan Jr.; however, he did reside in Lubbock, Texas, for a number of years and was also a member of the Grand Lodge of Texas mason organization. He was possibly a member of Tax Assessors and Collectors group.

Buell, Mary
Photograph Collection, 1906-1916
1 B/W matted photo print: 8x10
SWCPC 57 (Z) E1

Collection contains one image of the Lubbock Iron Works, Lubbock, Texas, circa 1910. Listed under Lubbock Photo collection 57 (Z) E1.

In 1983, Mary Buell discovered the photograph in an abandoned house once occupied by the Dennis Pitkin family located on the Steiner Ranch, fourteen miles northwest of Austin, Texas.

Photograph Collection, undated
1 B/W photo print, 3 B/W copy prints and 1 B/W negative
SWCPC 274 E1 (A-B)

This collection consists of photographs of buffalo, individuals, and a horse and buggy. Buffalo or bison have been on the North American continent for thousands of years. Their range of life was usually in the Plains region and they were hunted by Indians for their meat, hides, and bones. Most were wiped out by the buffalo hunters of the late 1800s.

Buie, Bernard
Photograph Collection, 1885-1959
65 B/W photo prints

Bulks with images of ranches in Texas and Nebraska, and courthouses in Texas. Bulks with courthouses. Bernard Buie owned a real estate company in Stamford, Texas, specializing in farm and ranch properties.

Burkburnett, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1910-1940
62 B/W photo prints and 1 contact sheet

This collection includes photographs of groups of people, oil fields, oil wells, oil rigs, architecture and street scenes. Available photographs are listed [

Burkburnett is located in north-central Wichita County. In 1912 oil was discovered west of town. Large strikes drew thousands of people to the area until the boom died out in the late 1920s. In 1941 Sheppard Air Force Base was established nearby. By 1989 the population had grown to over 11,000 and the economy was based on the production of chemical products, plastics, and machinery.

Burkburnett, Texas
Photograph Collection, 1900-1936
69 copy prints

Consists of photographs of Burkburnett, Texas, and bulks with photographs of the oil industry (1919-1936). It also contains a panoramic scene of Burkburnett (ca. 1920).

This is an artificial collection of photographs of Burkburnett, Texas, located in northeastern Wichita County. Burkburnett was founded in 1867. Originally known as Nesterville, then Gilbert, the town was finally named for rancher Samuel Burk Burnett in 1907. The first oil well began production in 1912; and by 1918 the town was a major oil producer and one of the boomtowns of the 1920s. Images in this collection have been digitized and are listed [
here] and viewable [here].
Burnett Family
Photograph Collection, 1892-1955
19 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the Burnett family (1892-1920, 1955) and includes prints of a train wreck near Knox City, Texas (1909) and a reunion of the Wichita Falls High School class of 1905 (1955).

Bruce Burnett Campbell was raised on the Burnett Ranch in Denton County, Texas. A nephew of Burk Burnett Campbell, he married Josephine Hooper in 1916. Campbell established a ranch in Knox County and later opened banks in Knox City and O'Brien, Texas.

Burns, Bell
Photograph Collection, undated
18 B/W photos, negatives and letter
SWCPC 868 F1

Photos of Murdo Mackenzie and others from Reference File.

Burns Family
Photograph Collection, 1892-1917
15 copy prints

Consists of photographs of the Columbus Burns family, and bulks with family portraits (1890-1917).

The Burns family settled in the 1820s in southeast Texas, where Columbus Burns was the first white child born in the area of DeWitt County. His son Arthur was a rancher near Cuero, Texas, and worked on some of the early cattle drives. Arthur's son Douglas became the manager of the Pitchfork Ranch in 1942.

Burson, Katherine
Photograph Collection, ca. 1950
2 B/W photo prints
SWCPC 722 E1

This collection consists of two images of the women of Citizens National Bank in Lubbock, Texas. Katherine Burson was a long time resident of Lubbock, Texas.

Buscher, Georgia Lee, and Pat Harris
Photograph Collection, 1890-1910
41 photos

Consists of photographs of the Boles and Harris families (1900-1910). Also contains a portrait of Lubbock's first sheriff, William M. Lay, and his wife (ca. 1890).

George M. Boles was one of the original settlers in Lubbock County, Texas in 1890. Boles started the first Hereford ranch in the Lubbock area and soon had the largest registered herd on the South Plains. Georgia Lee Boles Buscher is one of his daughters.

Bynum, Raymond T.
Photograph Collection, 1923-1970
14 B/W copy negatives

Is comprised of images of marching bands, orchestras, uniforms, instruments, conductors and auditoriums in Texas, Oklahoma, and Mexico. Raymond T. Bynum organized the first band in the Southwest composed entirely of high school students at Abilene, Texas High School in 1926. He became band director at McMurry College in Abilene, Texas in 1946.