Records, 1846-1996 and undated
52 boxes (53 linear feet)
Collection of correspondence, legal materials, financial materials,
and scrapbook material that detail the activities of the U Ranch from the late 19th
Century to the 1960s. Includes materials of her great grandfather W. R. McEntire as a
Civil War veteran and rancher, her grandfather George H. McEntire, Sr., and her father
George H. McEntire, Jr. Also includes photocopies of U Ranch records archived at the
University of Texas. For further details, click here: URanch.
The U Ranch comprised of 18 sections is located 10 miles northwest of
Sterling City in Sterling County, Texas. The ranch was founded by Col. W. R. McEntire, a
Civil War Confederate Veteran, when he acquired the land from M. B. Stephenson in 1880.
Over the years the ranch grew from 15 sections to 150 sections. Some of the land was
passed down to the children of W. R. McEntire. George received title to 23,000 acres in
1906. Each of his children George H., Jr. and Virginia inherited 16,233 acres in 1962.
Virginia ran the ranch the under the name VJ Ranch while George H. McEntire, Jr. called
his the U Ranch. Currently the ranch is owned by Ruth Caldwell the daughter of George H.
McEntire, Jr. Her son Cliff manages the sheep and cattle ranch for the family.
See also the McEntire Family Collection.
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)
Collection is a manuscript entitled "The Lineage
of the Ulmer Family" accompanied by a family tree which describes the family history
of David Allen Ulmer and his descendants (95 pages). The Haskell County Historical
and Genealogical Society is making an effort to record the family history of their German
Papers, 1935-2006 and Undated
4 boxes, 1 folder (4 linear feet)
The records of Charles Underwood contain newspaper clippings, pamphlets,
photographs, handwritten notes, and other materials related to his life in
the United States Army.
Charles Underwood served in the United States Army for more than 31 years
from 1941 to 1972. His active
military service included command of infantry, armored infantry, and armored
units from platoon through brigade. Most staff assignments were in
information and public affairs. He was a Prisoner of War for the Japanese
Imperial Army from 1942-1945 and survived the Bataan Death March
Underwood, Ralph Sylvester
Includes literary productions consisting of article
reprints authored by Underwood. A mathematician, author, and astronomer, Underwood
joined the Texas Technological College faculty in 1927. Born in 1891 in Anoka, Minnesota,
Underwood graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Minnesota in 1917. He received
an M.A. in Astronomy from Columbia University in 1924 and received his Ph.D. in
mathematics from the University of Chicago in 1930. At Texas Tech, he taught both
mathematics and astronomy (1930-1961), chaired the mathematics department, invented the
extended analytical geometry field, and authored numerous articles. He served as chairman
of the Mathematics Association of America, Texas Branch, in 1948. Underwood died in 1974.
Underwood, Robert E.
Includes correspondence and legal material. The
collection bulks (1922-1962) with law office files containing correspondence arranged
chronologically and pertaining to the business, personal, and political activities of R.
Underwood was an attorney, petroleum investor, property owner, land
speculator, businessman, rancher and newspaperman. Born in 1877 in Gibtown, Texas,
Underwood had already established a law practice in Amarillo, Texas, when, in 1906, he
purchased the Amarillo Evening American newspaper in partnership with William A.
Askew and Jonathan W. Crudgington. The paper was renamed the Daily News. Underwood
was active in Potter County, Texas politics, serving as County Attorney (1908-1912),
campaign chairman for candidates in county elections, and as an adviser for Lyndon
Johnson's 1948 senatorial campaign. He invested in farm and ranch land, city property, oil
well drilling and other businesses. Underwood retired from his law practice in the late
1950s, but remained active in business affairs until his death in 1969.
Unfred, Joe D.
(7.5 linear feet)
contains mainly army issued technical and field manuals used by Joe Unfred while an
officer in the U.S. Army serving during World War II.
It also has a few of German books collected in Germany while he was in Europe. The collection has four photo albums and two
scrapbook that contains photographs, news clippings, and other cherished mementos of
Unfreds military service. For further details
Joe D. Unfred was
raised in the Texas South Plains. He attended
Texas Technological College in 1938 and served as a Captain in the U. S. Army in the Third
Armored Division. The Division was the first
to breach the Siegfried Line, the first to cross the German border, and capture the first
German town. His military experiences were in
the European Theatre during World War II. He
acquired the Nazi memorabilia during his venture into Germany and brought it back to the
U.S. While in the military he took many
photographs of the day-to-day experiences of his fellow troops. Joe Unfred worked as a public relations manager
for Gifford-Hill during the 1960s-1970s. He
was born November 6, 1919 in Groesbeck and died July 13, 2001 in Lubbock, Texas.
Ungren, Einar Augustus
1 microfilm reel (10 ft.) : negative
Contains papers concerning Einar A. Ungren and his
daughter, Marcia Ungren Foster (1847-1932), and includes photographs, newspaper clippings,
certificates, and invitations.
An early West Texas oilman, Ungren was born in 1887 in Wimmerly,
Sweden. He emigrated to Texas in 1910 and, by 1917, was wildcatting for oil. He formed the
Onyx Oil company and successfully developed oil wells near Sipe Springs, Putman, and
Abilene, Texas. He was the director and organizer of the Abilene Petroleum Club and a
member of the executive committee of the West-Central Texas Oil and Gas Association.
Underwood was also a member of the Lions Club and American Legion and was a 32nd degree
Mason. He died in 1951 in Abilene.
UNIT Neighborhood Association
1 wallet (0.3 linear feet)
Collection has correspondence, receipts, ordinances, news clippings, brochures, bylaws,
zoning maps, and memos on the UNIT Neighborhood Association. The Association is neighborhood group who supports
the Tech Terrace area in Lubbock, Texas. UNIT
stands for University Avenue, Nineteenth Street, Indiana Avenue, and Thirty-Fourth Street. The streets border one of Lubbock's oldest
residential neighborhoods. UNIT was create to
help maintain the neighborhood's character and spirit of unity in Lubbock, Texas.
Unitarian Church (Midland, Texas)
3 wallets (0.3 linear feet)
Contains church school handbooks, newsletters,
religious education administrators' conferences, reports, scrapbook material, and the
Southwest Liberal Religious Youth's proposed constitution, all pertaining to the Unitarian
Church of Midland, Texas. The collection bulks (1957-1965) with church newsletters.
The church was established in 1954, and its own building was constructed at 3400 North A
Street in 1960. The Reverend Daniel Budd was installed as minister in 1982.
Unitarian Universalist Association. Southwestern Conference
Includes correspondence, financial and printed
material, lists, office and town files, sermons, and photographs pertaining to the
activities of the Southwestern Unitarian Universalist Conference.
The Southwestern Unitarian Universalist Conference was formed when the
Desert Conference and the Rocky Mountain Area Conference joined to become the Mountain
Desert District, then merged into the Southwestern Unitarian Universalist Conference.
Unitarian Universalist Church
Records, 1959-1992 and undated
9 wallets (0.9 linear feet)
Consists of correspondence and miscellaneous material
concerning the Unitarian Universalist Church. There are also general records dated from
1963-1978. Included in the records are committee reports.
Unitarian Universalist Church (Eastern
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)
Collection contains printed materials of old newspapers and magazines published by the
Unitarian Universalist Church from the Eastern Region of the U. S. Such issues include The Universalist Herald (1915-1939) 3 issues; The Helper
(1921) Boston, Mass.; The Christian Ambassador (undated); The
Universalist Leader (1911-1960) Boston and Chicago, 7 issues; and Star in
the West (1874-1975) Cincinnati, Ohio, 3 issues.
The Unitarians have an active religious organization throughout the United States. They have their own conferences as well as
publications. They promote a very liberal and
open view of the Christian religion.
Unitarian Universalist Church (Wichita Falls, Texas)
Consists of correspondence, financial documents,
membership lists, questionnaires and newsletters. Having begun in the early 1950s, the
church fellowship was dissolved in 1974.
Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (Lubbock, Texas)
Contains correspondence, office files, board minutes,
printed material, and scrapbook material. Founded in 1949, the Lubbock Fellowship
developed further in 1954 with the help of Munroe Husbands, a field worker from Boston.
With increasing membership, the Fellowship became the First Unitarian Universalist Church
of Lubbock in 1959. Meetings were held in a used church building on 36th Street until July
1982, when the congregation moved to its present, larger facility on 42nd Street.
Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (Pittsburg, Kansas)
Records, 1976-1984 and undated
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)
Is comprised of bylaws of the Unitarian Universalist
Fellowship. Also includes records of the officers and their organizational meetings.
United Church Women of Lubbock (Lubbock, Texas)
General files contain printed material reflecting the
various interests of the group: medical facilities for indigents and migrants, Planned
Parenthood Clinics, World Day of Prayer, Club Minutes, and publicity and attendance roles.
Scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings, printed programs, and newsletters regarding group
activities and memberships.
Created in 1957, the organization incorporated many members of the
Church Women's Federation of Lubbock, which was founded in 1923 and dissolved in 1957, due
partially in response to the new organization. The UCW membership came from various
Lubbock congregations and was active in social welfare projects such as aiding migrant
United Confederate (Civil War) Veterans
Collection, 1909-1919 and undated
1 wallet (0.2 linear feet)
Includes handwritten minutes, printed programs for
the 1910 UCV Reunion at Amarillo, Southern Cross of Honor certificates, small scrapbooks,
and other memorabilia. For further details, click here:
The United Confederate Veterans was organized in 1890 by former
confederate veterans. It staged annual reunions in various southern cities, including
Dallas and Amarillo and other Texas locations.
United Confederate (Civil War) Veterans
Collection, 1863-1967 and undated
3 oversized boxes and 1 box (6 linear feet)
Collection of material concerning Confederate Civil War Veterans and the reunions they had
at the Robert E. Lee Camp No. 158 in Fort Worth, Texas during the late 1890s through the
1920s. The correspondence materials contain
the veterans written experiences in the war. The
ledgers are rosters of members who attended the reunions.
Also includes publications of the Century
Warbook: Battles and Leaders of the Civil War
and The Confederate Soldier in the Civil War
series. For further details, click here:
The materials were once the property of E. E. Ellis, Olives father, who collected
them for his personal library. The
significance of the Robert E. Lee Camp No. 158 which met in Fort Worth, Texas was the
accumulation of the stories and other accounts of the veterans who fought for the
Confederate States of America. The United
Confederate Veterans gathered for several years in the late 19th Century and
into the early 20the Century to relive the glory days of the struggle within the United
States that tore the country apart. The
soldiers overcame odds and hardships during and after the war.
United Daughters of the Confederacy. Bernard E. Bee Chapter
1 microfilm reel (30 ft.) : negative
Contains lists of members, coding keys, treasurer's
reports, and proceedings of the meetings of the Bernard E. Bee Chapter of the United
Daughters of the Confederacy in San Antonio, Texas.
United Daughters of the Confederacy is an organization for women who
are descendants of soldiers who fought in the Confederate army during the Civil War.
United Daughters of the Confederacy (Stephen W. Wilkinson
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)
Collection contains printed material and literary
productions dated 1990 concerning the United Daughters of the Confederacy the Stephen W.
United Daughters of the Confederacy. Texas Division
Contains correspondence, printed material, and
newsclippings related to the organization's membership, and related activities.
The Texas Division is in Victoria, Texas, and was organized by Katie
Currie Muse on May 25, 1896. The organization worked to preserve the memory of those that
had served in the Confederate armies, to commemorate historic locations, to fund the
Confederate Home for Men and the Confederate Women's Home, solicited financial donations
for southern history studies, and provided academic scholarships. The United Daughters of
the Confederacy originated from the Civil War's southern local aid societies. In the
postwar period, local groups helped with the Confederate soldiers' homes. By the 1890s,
the disparate groups coalesced into individual state organizations.
United Fund (Lubbock, Texas)
Contains printed material (some pertaining to the
Health, Welfare, and Recreation Resources) and a typed history of the United Fund.
The fund evolved from the Lubbock Community Chest. The name changed in
1961 after the addition of the American Red Cross. Now known as the United Way, its
purpose is to assist in fundraising for volunteer and social service agencies.
United States. Adjutant General
2 microfilm reels: negative
Contains personnel records and recommendations for
the promotion of William R. Shafter, to the U.S. Adjutant General's office.
Shafter, born October 16, 1835, at Galesburg, Michigan, served in the
7th Michigan Infantry during the Civil War and was brevetted a brigadier general in 1865.
In 1869 he was commissioned a lieutenant colonel of the 24th Infantry in Texas and, in
1875, led a surveying expedition of the Trans-Pecos region and received the nickname,
"Pecos Bill." He led an expedition against renegade Kickapoo and Lipan Apache
Indians in northern Mexico in 1876, and rose to rank of Major General during the
Spanish-American War. Shafter was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1895, and
retired from the military in 1901. He died at Bakersfield, California, in 1906.
United States. Adjutant General's Office
1 microfilm reel (90 ft.) : negative
Includes correspondence and other official records
relating to Robert E. Lee, frontier matters, and the U.S. Second Cavalry, from the files
of the Adjutant General and the Department of Texas. These were collected for Dr. Carl
Coke Rister's book, Robert E. Lee in Texas.
Robert E. Lee (1807-1870), as a U.S. Army Colonel, saw frontier duty in
Texas between 1855 and 1861. He was the commander of the Second Cavalry unit at Camp
Cooper during the late 1850s and was at Fort Mason when secession occurred.
United States. Army. 142nd Infantry Regimental Band
Contains a scrapbook containing newsclippings dealing
with the Old Grey Mare Band and Rex Gaither, along with clippings on the 142nd Infantry
Band, American Legion, and Chamber of Commerce activities in Brownwood, and a photograph
of the original "Old Grey Mare."
The band is based in Brownwood, Texas, and directed by Captain Robert
Wright Armstrong. Lt. Rex Gaither served as band manager.
United States Department of Energy - Salt Repository Project
Records, 1979-1988 and undated
2 boxes (2 linear feet)
Bulks with material gathered by the Department of
Energys Salt Repository Project Office, which pertains to the consideration of a
nuclear waste deposit site in Death Smith County, Texas. Attention is also given to
possible sites in Nevada and Washington.
Hereford County was one of the three sites nationally earmarked for the
study to determine whether it was feasible to locate and store high radioactive waste from
the nations nuclear power plants.
United States. Department of the Interior. Office of Saline
The collection contains news releases and annual
saline water conversion reports. The Office of Saline Water was established by
Congress in 1952 for the purpose of developing desalination techniques for rivers and
streams with heavy saline content, and for the establishment of plants to convert salt
water into fresh water.
United States. Justice Department
1 microfilm reel (60 ft.) : negative
Contains correspondence and other official documents
from the files of the U.S. Attorney General relating to David L. Payne and the
David L. Payne, born in 1836, was a Union Civil War veteran, Indian
fighter, and one-time assistant doorkeeper of the U.S. House of Representatives, and led
the "Oklahoma Movement" during the early 1880s in an effort to open the, then,
Indian Territory to white settlement. Although he died in November 1884 while organizing
another "colony" of "Boomers" to invade the Territory, his efforts
resulted in the Territory's opening in 1889. Payne County, Oklahoma, is named for him.
United States Military Air Bases
Microfilm Collection, 1941-1950
6 microfilm reels
The collection is a record of unclassified historical information of numerous U.
S. military air bases, which existed during World War II, from
Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma,
Tennessee and Texas. However most of the bases mentioned in the reels
resided in Texas.
During the second-world war, the United States created countless military
air bases to train pilots for the war in
Europe and in the Pacific. However a majority of the air
bases were closed after the war. Some of the bases are as follows: Lubbock
Army Air Field (AAF), Reese Air Force Base (AFB), Luke AAF, Lowry AFB, South
Plains AAF, Sewart AFB, Spence Field, Roswell AAF, Gainsville AAF, and
Muskogee AAF. The microfilm comes from the original records kept at the
Historical Research Center located on Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama. It
was filmed in April 1974.
United States. National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Contains printed materials relating to NASA's various
space explorations. Bulks (1968-1973) with printed material relating to the 1969 Apollo
Mission that landed the first human on the moon. These materials contain references to the
crew, including Neil A. Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Edwin E. Aldrin.
A United States government agency in charge of space flight, NASA was
established October 1, 1958--twelve months after the launch of Sputnik I. It is
responsible for initiating and implementing a national space program by harnessing
government agencies, industry, and the scientific community. The agency prompted the
development of launch vehicles, including Delta, Atlas/Centaur, Titan/Centaur, and Saturn.
In 1958, the Mercury Project led to the launch of the first manned capsule into space and,
in 1969, the Apollo Project landed American astronauts on the moon. Since then, NASA has
continued to develop various transport methods and fund solar system exploration.
United States. Post Office (Brownfield, Texas)
The collection includes a money order register
(1905-1910), 4th class record book (1904-1913), and a cash book (1910-1920).
Joe R. Hill, builder of the first hotel in Brownfield, Texas,
established the first post office on April 1, 1904. Hill served as postmaster from April
1904 to June 1905. Other early postmasters include H. H. Cotton, J. L. Randal, Jr., N.
Ginter, and E. B. Wright.
United States. Post Office (Gomez, Texas)
The collection bulks with financial documents
including money order register, registered mail books, and a box-rental receipt book. Also
includes one leaf of correspondence.
Established in 1903, the Gomez office was the second post office in
Terry County, Texas, and Mrs. Tom Bess was the first postmaster. The town of Gomez was
abandoned around 1918 after Brownfield became the county seat and the railroad failed to
come through the town.
United States. Post Office (Lubbock, Texas)
Consists entirely of financial material relating to
the Post Office of Lubbock, Texas. Bulks with ledgers from the post office.
Established March 31, 1884, the office was located in George Singer's
grocery store with E. R. Dequasie as the first postmaster. Other early postmasters
included: George Singer (1884-1890), Frank E. Wheelock (1890-1894), Irvin L. Hunt
(1894-1900), Harry S. Graham (1901-1905), and Robert E. Brown (1905-1906). A separate post
office building was established in 1890 when the present site of Lubbock was founded.
United States. Post Office (San Saba, Texas)
1 microfilm reel (30 ft.): negative
Contains the post office register of box holders for
1902-1923 in San Saba, Texas.
United States War Department
1 box (1 linear foot)
Collection contains war department manuals.
University Interscholastic League. Region I (Texas)
The collection bulks (1956-1963) with business
correspondence, contest records, financial reports, entry forms, printed handbooks,
programs, and lists. These records comprise the business files of the Interscholastic
League's Region I Director-General, which include S. M. Kennedy and his successor, Holmes
Webb, who were both Texas Technological College faculty.
The Texas Interscholastic League holds annual contests of outstanding
high school students in various fields and subjects at the conference, regional, and state
levels. The Panhandle-South Plains area comprises Region I.
University of New Mexico. Music Department
The collection consists of printed programs for
concerts, recitals, and art shows held at the University of New Mexico. The
University of New Mexico, founded in Albuquerque in 1889, offers both undergraduate and
graduate programs, including music.
University of Texas at Austin. Department of Drama
Contains programs of stage events produced by the
Curtain Club, the Experimental Theater, and the Laboratory Theater of the
Department of Drama, College of Fine Arts, University of Texas at Austin.
Updegraff, Way Hamlin
1 wallet (0.1 linear
collection is composed of 43 letters written by Way Hamlin Updegraff of
Alamo Hueco, New Mexico from November 6, 1885 to April 20, 1887 to his
mother Ella A. Updegraff, his sister and brother Thaddeus in Elmira, New
York. The letters are accompanied by their handwritten transcripts and
lists to match with the letters.
Hamlin Updegraff was considered an adventurous, well-educated young cowboy
working at Ranch Alamo Hueco, New Mexico, which is
92 miles from Deming. Other letters he wrote from Cedar Grove Ranch, Los
Cienegas 1st Ranch, and Alamo Viejo Ranch. His mother Ella was
the widow of Dr. Thaddeus Updegraff, publisher-editor of The Bistoury,
a New York medical journal. Way Hamlin was raised in Elmira, New York and
as a young adult left the northeastern U. S. for a life in the wild-west as
a cowboy. He was twenty years old in 1886 and wrote about everyday ranch
Urban Renewal Agency (Lubbock, Tex.)
1 oversized box (2 linear feet)
Contains two scrapbooks consisting of
news clipping of the Urban Renewal Agencys efforts to revitalize the City of Lubbock
after the May 11, 1970 tornado which destroyed many homes and businesses as well as
people. The Urban Renewal Agency is a special department of the City of Lubbock. One of their goals was to construct the Memorial
Civic Center downtown after the May 11, 1970 tornado.
Urban Renewal Board (Lubbock, Texas)
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)
Contains correspondence, printed material, and
newsclippings. Bulks with typed copies of minutes of the board meetings.
The board was established in Lubbock under the direction of Mayor W. D. Rogers, as part of
the federal programs launched during 1950s, and formed under the auspices of the City
Commission, who supervised housing conditions and the renovation of substandard areas.
Urban Renewal work in Lubbock has included the Coronado and Yellowhouse projects,
rehabilitation grants, and site improvements.
Urbanovsky, Elo J.
Includes photos, newspaper clippings, and notes from various speeches
given by Urbanovsky. Of particular interest is the evidential information provided
primarily through photographs about Texas Technological University during the years
Urbanovsky taught there. Also included are memorabilia from Urbanovsky's work with
Ladybird Johnson and the Texas Wildflower Center, as well as a special proclamation given
him by the Texas State Senate. Consists almost entirely of scrapbook material and
A landscape architect and educator, Urbanovsky was born December 20,
1907, in McLennan County, Texas. He received a B.S. degree from Texas A&M University
(1931), and completed graduate work at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. He
served as Regional Landscape Architect for the U.S. Department of Agriculture (1935-1936).
He was a professor of landscape architecture at both Texas A&M University and Texas
Technological College and was a Horn Professor Emeritus of Park Administration at Texas
Technological University (1949-1975). He established the Department of Parks
Administration and Landscape Architecture and implemented the original site planning for
the campus. Urbanovsky served in numerous positions and received awards such as Pro
Excelsia Et Pontifice (1963) from Pope John XXIII; the Cornelius Pugsley Bronze Medal for
work in conservation and education; and was the Director of the Board of Governors for the
National Recreation and Park Association; a Distinguished Fellow in the American Institute
of Park Executives; and an honorary member of the Texas Society of Architects (1976).
Urbanovsky died July 15, 1988.