University Library home page Architecture Library home page International Cultural Center Library Southwest Collection - Special Collections Library
Texas Tech University Libraries University Library home page Architecture Library home page International Cultural Center Library Southwest Collection - Special Collections Library Branch libraries navigation bar

V

Val Verde County, Texas
Records, 1983-1985 and undated
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

    Consists of printed material and copies of news clippings dealing with history of Val Verde County, Texas.  Val Verde County was organized in 1881. Del Rio, the county seat, was established in 1871 on the Rio Grande River. Originally a farming community, the city has become a prominent point of entry on the Mexico-United States border.

Val Verde County Historical Commission (Texas)
Records, 1946-1985
367 leaves

    Contains information on the county's natural relief, noted individuals, and organizations. Also includes a literary production (Consuelo Gonzalez Amizeua), printed material, and news clippings, several of which pertain to the county's history.
The commission encourages the writing and preservation of Val Verde County history.

Van Appledorn, Mary Jeanne
Papers, 1996-2000
1 wallet (0.1 linear ft.)

    Four musical scores: "Incantations for Obe and Piano" (1999), "Cellano Rhapsody for Cello and Piano" (1997), "Contrasts for Piano" (1996), and "Songs Without Words" (2000): all by Mary Jeanne van Appledorn (Sisra Publications, Washington, D.C.).
    Many Jeanne van Appledorn, a Paul Whitfield Horn Professor of Music, is nationally and internationally renowned and recognized as a composer. She has been teaching at Texas Tech University for over fifty years and was hired by Gene Hemmle. She received her Bachelor of Music, Master of Music, and Ph.D. degrees at the University of Rochester's Eastman School of Music.

Van Horn Chamber of Commerce (Texas)
Records, 1939-1973
1 microfilm reel (90 ft.) : negative

    Contains correspondence, financial material, printed material, photographs, and scrapbook material reflecting the business and activities of the organization, which include the Miss and Little Miss Van Horn contests, the Sun Princess contest, the Annual Frontier Days Celebration, and the Chamber of Commerce Banquet.
    Van Horn is located in southwestern Culberson County, Texas, and named for Colonel James Judson Van Horn, who was stationed in the area during 1859 to help protect the California Trail. The town began as a water stop and cattle shipping point on the Texas and Pacific Railroad and became the county seat in 1912. The Chamber of Commerce formed to promote the interests of the town.

Van Zandt, Khleber Miller
Papers, 1774-1953 and undated
1 box (1.0 linear foot)

    Includes correspondence, financial materials, legal materials, scrapbook material, printed material, and photographs. Bulks (1835-1965) with material related to Van Zandt's Civil War, business, and personal experiences. Also contains genealogical material, including the reminiscences of Van Zandt's son on the Mexican Revolution and a copy of Van Zandt's memoirs which were edited and published as Force Without Fanfare: The Autobiography of K. M. Van Zandt.  For further details, click here:  KMVanZandt.
    Van Zandt was a Confederate soldier, legislator, merchant, banker, and community leader. He was born in 1836 in Salem, Tennessee, and moved to Texas in 1839. He also spent part of childhood in Washington D.C. where his father, Isaac Van Zandt (1813-1847), negotiated the annexation of the Republic of Texas. He served as a Confederate officer during the Civil War. Following the war, he moved to Fort Worth, Texas, and became a merchant and advocate of railroad construction. In 1873, he organized the Tarrant County Construction Company which supervised the grading for the Texas and Pacific Railroad. In 1874, he established the Fort Worth National Bank, of which he served as president for fifty-six years. He also served as president of the K. M. Van Zandt Land Company and as a director of the Fort Worth Life Insurance Company. Van Zandt served for twenty years on the Fort Worth school board and served in the Texas House of Representatives during Reconstruction. He supported educational and religious movements and, for over sixty years, was a member and elder of the First Christian Church at Fort Worth. Van Zandt died in 1930 in Fort Worth.

Veck, Lola Marie
Papers, 1886-1909
127 leaves

    Includes an autograph book (1892-1893) and a scrapbook filled largely with news clippings of San Angelo area families, including several of Mexican descent.
    Veck was the daughter of William Smith Veck, a post settler at Fort Concho, who later established the first mercantile and bank at San Angelo. She married Walter Hiram Dockray, a founder of Dalhart, Texas, and land agent.

Veck, Sterrett, and Company (San Angelo, Texas)
Records, 1884-1893
4 microfilm reels : negative

    Contains correspondence and a teller's cash book.  Veck, Sterrett, and Company was a banking establishment in San Angelo, Texas.

Vega City Commissioner (Texas)
Records, 1927-1968
1 microfilm reel (45 ft.) : negative

    Contains correspondence, legal material, and financial material pertaining to the office of city commissioner in Vega, Texas. Also includes the office minutes from weekly meetings.
    Located in southern Oldham County, Texas, the city of Vega was established in 1900 as a shipping point along the Amarillo division of the Chicago, Rock Island, and Gulf Railroad. In 1906, P. H. and John Landergin purchased part of the LS Ranch and brought in settlers to the village. In 1915, Vega City was established as the county seat of Oldham County.

Vickers, Elizabeth Jarrott
Papers, 1938-1963
1 microfilm reel (12 ft.) : negative

    Consists of correspondence and legal documents from 1938-1963. Bulks with the correspondence required to secure a delayed birth certificate for Elizabeth Jarrott Vickers. The material also reveals a portion of the Jarrott-Abernathy family history.
    Elizabeth was a member of a pioneer family in Lubbock, Texas. Her husband and son were Lubbock attorneys.

Vigness, David Martell
Papers, 1949-1976
5,684 leaves

    The collection consists primarily of printed materials dealing with Latin America, including Latin American studies materials and periodicals. Also includes records pertaining to Vigness' career as a graduate faculty member at Texas Tech University.
    Vigness was a professor of history at Texas Tech University from 1955-1979 and chairman of the History Department from 1961-1978. He specialized in Latin American history. He was a member of the Lubbock Rotary Club, Board Member of the Austin Theological Seminary, and an elder of the Lubbock First Presbyterian Church. He died in July 1979.

Vigness, Winifred
Papers, 1908-1921
279 leaves

    Consists primarily of family photographs, programs for plays, and a financial ledger for the Allen Brothers Post #148 of the American Legion.
    Vigness is a South Plains educator and Lubbock, Texas, civic activist. She is the daughter of former Lubbock Mayor, H. D. Woods. She taught history for many years at South Plains Junior College and Shriner Institute and served as the executive secretary of the West Texas Museum Association. She served as executive director for the Lubbock Cultural Affairs Council and coordinator for the local Bicentennial celebration in 1976 and the Lubbock County Centennial celebration in 1991. She was married to David M. Vigness, a former Texas Tech University history professor.

Vinograd, Sherman P.
Aerospace Exploration Papers, 1957-2010
20 boxes (20 linear feet)

     The Dr. Sherman P. Vinograd Aerospace Exploration collection consists of artifacts, books, correspondence, financial materials, newspapers, photographs, plaques, printed materials, and reports relating to Dr. Vinogradís early life, his career as an M.D. prior to joining NASA, his years as a physician and researcher at NASA, and the other professional organizations and projects in which he was involved both during and after these periods.
    
Dr. Sherman P. Vinograd fulfilled the roles of Chief of Medical Science and Technology and Director of Biomedical Research at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) from the fall of 1961 until the spring of 1979. In this role he shaped, organized, and directed NASAís program of medical research as a funded program of studies, which was carried out in not only NASA Center laboratories, but also in university, industry, and other government laboratories and hospitals all over the country. It produced a large substrate of information through its bed rest studies, vestibular, bone, neuromuscular, hematology, and cardiovascular researches. It also produced valuable fall-out, such as an accurate bone density measurement technique which is now in common clinical use.

Vinograd, Sherman P.
Audio/Visual Collection, 1966-1994 and undated
2 boxes (2 linear feet)

     The Dr. Sherman P. Vinograd Audio Visual collection consists of quarter-inch audio tape, 16mm film, and VHS tapes relating to Dr. Vinogradís early life, his career as an M.D. prior to joining NASA, and bulks with information about his years as a physician and researcher at NASA.
    Dr. Sherman P. Vinograd fulfilled the roles of Chief of Medical Science and Technology and Director of Biomedical Research at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) from the fall of 1961 until the spring of 1979. In this role he shaped, organized, and directed NASAís program of medical research as a funded program of studies, which was carried out in not only NASA Center laboratories, but also in university, industry, and other government laboratories and hospitals all over the country. It produced a large substrate of information through its bed rest studies, vestibular, bone, neuromuscular, hematology, and cardiovascular researches. It also produced valuable fall-out, such as an accurate bone density measurement technique which is now in common clinical use.

Voll, Charles B.
Papers, 1968
1 wallet (0.1 linear feet)

    Item is a photocopied manuscript entitled “Archeological Excavations in First Fort Davis, Fort Davis National Historic Site, Texas” compiled by archeologist Charles B. Voll who supervised the digging.
   The National Park Service performed an investigation on the first Fort Davis located in the area of Hospital Canyon.  It was abandoned and later the structures were burned to the ground.  The excavation occurred from April 3 through June 7, 1968.  Charles Voll of the Southwest Archeological Center led the digging.

Von Roeder Seed Farms (Snyder, Texas)
Records, 1923-1975
1 microfilm reel (30 ft.) : negative

    Consists of records of cotton seed breeding conducted by Von Roeder Seed Farms, Snyder, Texas. The collection also includes a breeding book and financial material.
    The company is owned by Max Von Roeder of Snyder, Texas

Vroman, C. R.
Papers, 1893-1894
1 microfilm reel (25 ft.) : negative

    Consists of an account ledger of C. R. Vroman, who owned a mercantile store in San Angelo, Texas, in the early 1890's.

     
TTU
Search
Workstation Use Policy
Contact the Library
Support the Library
 
Go to Texas Records and Information Locator Service (TRAIL), a state agency search service at the Texas State Library Go to TexasOnline, the main web site of the State of Texas
 

Disability, Privacy and Accessibility Resources

Copyright © 2003 Texas Tech University Libraries
18th St. and Boston Ave., MS 40002
Lubbock, Texas 79409-0002
(806) 742-2261, Fax (806) 742-0737