THE PETROLEUM INDUSTRY(From the Manuscript and Photograph Collections of the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library)
Oil Operators And DrillersAdobe Oil and Gas Corporation (Midland, Texas)
The collection bulks with company annual reports (1968-1983) and Securities and
Exchange Commission Reports (1975-1983). The collection also includes a clipping file
(photocopied) from 1968 to 1984 on company events, activities, and milestones.
168 leaves Contains correspondence and financial and legal documents pertaining to the formation, business activities, and liquidation of the Anna Zip Oil Association.
This was an unincorporated joint stock association formed on July 12, 1918, for the purpose of drilling oil wells near Brownwood, Texas, and selling crude oil to refineries. The association was liquidated in 1920. Bassett, Julian Markus
Includes correspondence, legal material, financial material, biographical material,
charts, photographs, reminiscences, and scrapbook material. Bulks (1917-1947) with land
descriptions and appraisals, as well as geological reports and drilling logs of oil and
gas wells located primarily in Terrell, Val Verde, and Pecos counties, Texas.
Includes correspondence containing a week by week description of the beginnings of oil
drilling in West Texas and the inception of governmental drilling regulations.
Double Five Oil Company (Amarillo, Texas)
312 leaves The collection consists of a stock book (1926) listing stock dispersal, stockholders, transactions, and a corporation record (1926-1929), containing the stock subscription, company organization, secretary's minutes, and a stock register.
The Double Five Oil Company was incorporated on April 19, 1926, in Amarillo, Texas. G. C. Odom, Allan Early, H. E. Knapp, and Lum Humphreys served as president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer, respectively. Odom, Knapp, and a group of others were directors or firm members of Odom, Cotten, Turnley and Company, an incorporated real estate and investment business in Amarillo, Texas. The oil company emerged as an additional venture and ceased operations in the fall of 1929. Five Star Oil Report
96,326 leaves The collection bulks with the newsletters "West Texas Daily (1/1950-11/1956), "Midland Daily" (5/1950-12/1956), "West Texas-New Mexico Semi-Weekly (1/1952-12/1956), "Dallas-Fort Worth Daily" (5/1952-9/1953), and "New Mexico Weekly" (2/1953-11/1956). Each issue highlights technical information on field exploration and developments, well completions, new fields, and drilling progress. These reports provide a convenient listing of active companies, and the news pages provide an informative clipped notice of field developments.
Published by the Petroleum News Corporation, the "Five Star Oil Report" focused on the exploration and production of petroleum in Texas, New Mexico, and southern Louisiana. Reports were issued yearly, semi-weekly, weekly, and daily. Fuqua, H. B
1 microfilm reel (20 ft.) : negative Consists of Fuqua's personal files, including correspondence, financial material, memos of meetings, and printed and miscellaneous items relating to the dissolution of the Texas and Pacific Coal and Oil Company.
A geologist and banker, Fuqua began working for Gulf Oil Company in 1922 and later headed its southwestern operations. In 1949, he became head of the Texas and Pacific Coal and Oil Company. Later, he became the director of Fort Worth National Bank and was active in Fort Worth's community life. Fuqua promoted oil and gas conservation and protection of fresh water supplies from salt water incursion. He was inducted into the Permian Basin Petroleum Museum in 1973. Gordon, William Knox
2 microfilm reels : negative Includes biographical material, correspondence, printed materials and company papers concerning coal and oil production. Bulks with materials relating to Gordon's role as Vice-president and general manager of the Texas and Pacific Coal and Oil Company at Thurber, Texas.
Born in Virginia in 1862, Gordon became a railroad surveyor and civil engineer. He came to Texas in 1889 and worked for Texas and Pacific Coal Company and discovered the Ranger Oil Field. He died in Fort Worth in March 1949.[H.A.] Isett, Frank E.
7,691 leaves Includes correspondence, financial and legal material, and office files pertaining to Isett's business activities in the oil and gas industry. The collection bulks with financial documents, including oil and gas well receipts and business files, including abstracts of title for Eastland County, Texas (1838-1958); reports and drilling logs (1920-1966); plats, maps, and tables (undated); and Texas Railroad Commission rulings and reports (1948-1969). Also included are personal files and correspondence concerning family matters.
A resident of Brownwood, Texas, Isett served as an oil scout for the Gulf Oil Company (1917-1918), as superintendent for Schermerhorn Company of Arizona, and owned independent oil and gas wells in Eastland and Brown counties of Texas (1950-1969). Livermore Drilling Company (Texas)
1,316 leaves Contains correspondence, financial, legal, and printed material, and literary productions pertaining to the business activities of Mr. Livermore. The collection bulks (1948-1961) with business correspondence pertaining to South American oil development, Livermore's involvement with various oil-related associations, and financial and legal documents (1950-1955) related to drilling operations. One of the financial files pertains to the Lubbock Baseball Club, Inc.(1955-1956).
The Livermore Drilling Company was founded in 1951 by George Pogue Livermore upon his retirement from George P. Livermore, Inc., which Livermore founded in 1936. Based in Kermit, Texas, George P. Livermore, Inc. handled contract drilling for major oil companies and for Livermore's own interests in the Permian Basin of West Texas and Eastern New Mexico. George P. Livermore, Inc. also pursued drilling operations in Oklahoma, Colorado, and Utah. The offices were moved to Lubbock, Texas, in 1941. In the post-World War II era, the company expanded drilling operations to South America and drilled the first producing oil well in Chile in 1945. Upon Livermore's retirement, George P. Livermore, Inc. became the Great Western Drilling Company. George P. Livermore was born in 1903 in Plattsville, Illinois, and obtained his petroleum engineering degree from the University of Oklahoma in 1931. Livermore was employed by the Texas Company (1931-1935) and Mandeville & Thompson (1935-1936) before founding his own company in 1936. He was a founding member, and National Vice-President (1959), of the American Association of Oil Well Drilling Contractors. Livermore served as director of the Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association and the Independent Petroleum Association of America. He was also a member of the American Petroleum Institute, the Industrial Councilor for the University of Oklahoma Research Institute, and chairman of the board of the Texas Technological College Foundation (1957). He organized the Texas Tech Petroleum Advisory Committee in 1946, which worked with Texas Technological College in establishing the Department of Petroleum Engineering in 1948. Livermore married Mary Louise Luccock in 1930. He died in 1961. Livingston Oil Company (Oklahoma)
252 leaves The collection consists of legal materials (1956-1968) which include stockholders' reports, a stock prospectus, an application for listing on the New York Stock Exchange, and the Livingston Oil Company Annual Reports.
On May 16, 1955, the Oklahoma-based Livingston Oil Company incorporated and began exploration drilling, development of oil and gas properties, and sale of crude oil and natural gas. The company also developed interests in community antenna television (CATV) and microwave relay systems. Lubbock-Bridgeport Oil Development Company
2,702 leaves The collection consists primarily of business correspondence (1919-1922) and financial documents (1919-1921) relating to the company's drilling activities. The Bridgeport, Texas-based Lubbock-Bridgeport Oil Development Company was formed as an unincorporated joint-stock association of Shallowater, Lubbock, Bridgeport, and Fort Worth, Texas, businessmen and investors to tap into the oil "boom" frenzy prevalent in North Central Texas. Tempted by the proximity of oil in nearby Petrolia, Texas, the company leased wildcat prospects in Wise County, Texas, beginning in February, 1918. Drilling began in May 1919 and, with varying success, continued through 1920 with an exploratory wildcat dipping into depths of 4,500 feet--one of the deepest wells drilled to that date. The company formally incorporated as the Lubbock Oil Corporation in January 1920, and, with additional financing, resumed drilling operations. The company completed a dry-hole on June 27, 1920, which financially ruined Lubbock Oil. The company sold off leases and other property to complete the well. In July 1921, the stockholders dissolved the corporation. Tye, William Orby
4,454 leaves Includes financial material, logs, printed items, soil stratification records, and wage records pertaining to the Tye and Sons Drilling Company. Also included is a four-page 1950 diary of W. Orb Tye. These materials contain references to Bill Goldsmith, Frank G. Goldsmith and George Goldsmith, Jim Tye, and Keith Tye.
A West and North Central Texas well drilling contractor, Tye is the son of George Goldsmith Tye who, in 1907, moved his family from Rotan, Texas to San Jon, New Mexico, and started a well-drilling business. The family moved to Floydada in 1911, where Orb and Frank Tye formed a partnership during the oil boom years at Burkburnett and Borger, Texas. In the 1930s, they continued in irrigation well drilling, covering a three-state area. In 1940, W. O. and his son, Bill, built the first Tye rotary drilling rig in Wichita Falls. This led to the eventual formation of the Tye and Sons Drilling Company at Floydada, of which W. O. remained head until his retirement in 1960, when his son, Bill, became head of the business. Their company had the distributorship for Layne Pumps and Continental Engines. Ungren, Einar Augustus
1 microfilm reel (10 ft.) : negative Contains papers concerning Einar A. Ungren and his daughter, Marcia Ungren Foster (1847-1932), and includes photographs, newspaper clippings, certificates, and invitations.
An early West Texas oilman, Ungren was born in 1887 in Wimmerly, Sweden. He emigrated to Texas in 1910 and, by 1917, was wildcatting for oil. He formed the Onyx Oil company and successfully developed oil wells near Sipe Springs, Putman, and Abilene, Texas. He was the director and organizer of the Abilene Petroleum Club and a member of the executive committee of the West-Central Texas Oil and Gas Association. Underwood was also a member of the Lions Club and American Legion and was a 32nd degree Mason. He died in 1951 in Abilene. Geologists Counselman, Frank
Kemp, Augusta Hasslock
Includes correspondence, financial material, genealogical material, legal material,
literary productions, photographs, printed material, and scrapbook material. Bulks
(1902-1967) with the personal papers of Kemp.
Murray, Grover E.
Bulks (1944-1982) with personal and professional correspondence, news items, printed
programs and bulletins, financial and legal material, awards and notices, and scrapbook
material, all pertaining to the professional career of Grover Murray. Also includes
photographs and slides and a collection of rare postcards collected by Murray's daughter.
Patton, Joseph T.
Includes a scrapbook containing captioned photographs of the first geology field trip
undertaken by Texas Technological College. There also exist related clippings and cards
not listed on the inventory.
Perini, Vincent Charles, Jr.
Consists of Perini Mining Company records and general business correspondence. Bulks
(1896-1966) with records relating to expired, plugged, and producing oil leases. Records
are subdivided by county and the individual lease names. Also bulks with ledgers
(1927-1962) pertaining to business finances, leases, payroll, company minutes, and oil
runs. Also contains materials related to drilling activity (1925-1955). Subdivided by
county, these include geologic reports, maps, and profit/loss statements. Other materials
include incorporation records and minutes of the Oil States Exploration Company which
operated from 1936 to 1940.
Robinson, W. I.
Includes a scrapbook consisting of one letter, postcards, and photographs of Robinson's
home, Texas Technological College, Blanco Canyon, and various trips. The collection bulks
with literary productions (1915-1923) and printed material (1936-1955). Also includes
copies of geology and paleontology articles by Robinson and others.
Includes printed materials including Sidwell's article reprints in Sedimentary
Petrology and American Mineralogist journals.
Alexander, John D.
Consists of photographs of the Alexander family and their experiences in farming and in
the oil industry (1908-1949; 1978).
Consists of photographs of Breckenridge, Texas (1898-1925), and includes photographs of
oil derricks, a devastating petroleum fire (1920s), and a panoramic view of the town
Collection consists of agricultural, railroad, and oil industry photos of Breckenridge,
Desdemona, Jakehamon and Ranger, Texas. (1920s).
Consists of family photos of the Thompson family and of the petroleum industry in
Mitchell County, Texas (1920). The collection also contains photos of the Badgett #1 Oil
Well, Mitchell County, Texas (1920).
Workstation Use Policy
Contact the Library
Support the Library
Copyright © 2003 Texas Tech University Libraries