Texas Tech Buildings A-Z
Below is a brief overview of early Texas Tech Structures accompanied by an image. For more information on Tech buildings and structures, go back to the TTU Buildings page.

Please note this page is a work in progress.

Image: Description
The main façade or first unit of the Administration Building was completed in time for the opening of the College in 1925. It is an imposing structure approximately sixty by three hundred feet and is three stories in height. It originally housed the administrative offices of the College, departmental offices and class rooms of the School of Liberal Arts, and the College Library.

The text above is a compilation of information from the following sources: Texas Technological college Bulletins - 1926.
The Agricultural Class Rooms, erected in 1927, contained offices, class rooms and laboratories for part of the School of Agriculture. This building was also called the Agriculture Building.

Image citation:  Bulletin of the Texas Technological College Vol. IV July, 1928 No. 3: p. 7.
  The Building and Grounds Shop contained headquarters for the janitors and the building and grounds working force.
   
The Cafeteria, erected in 1925, was a brick and stucco structure modernly equipped and containing, in addition to the kitchen and dining room, offices and a small class room. It was operated under the supervision of the School of Home Economics. A number of male and female students earned their meals by working in the cafeteria.

The text above is a compilation of information from the following sources: Texas Technological college Bulletins - 1926.

Image citation: Texas Technological College Bulletin July, 1926, Vol. II No. 3: p. 27.
The Chemistry Building, was 240 feet long and sixty feet wide, one wind extending back 100 feet. There are two stories, a full basement, and at the east end, a low tower. Although designed primarily as a Chemistry Building it once housed the  departments of Biology, Geology, Physic, and Chemistry. A cloister extends across the entire front of the building. There were to be offices, a library, dark rooms, laboratories, classrooms, lecture rooms, and an amphitheatre, as well as a conservatory for Botany, an animal room for Zoology, and a museum for Geology. A Chemistry museum was planned when the erection of other buildings made it possible. The building was to be fireproof throughout, being of steel reinforced concrete, hollow tile, and brick.

The text above is a compilation of information from the following sources: Texas Technological college Bulletins - 1928.

Image citation: Lee Kitchens Collection SWCPC 577-E2 image #2.
The College Book Store was a reconstructed building devoted temporarily to the accommodation of the bookstore, which retails supplies.

Image citation: Wenzel Louis Stangel Collection S 977.1 box 51 folder 1 image #10.
The Dairy Barn, erected in 1925, contains milking rooms with stalls for forty cows; dressing rooms, feed rooms, cooling and milk rooms.

Image citation: Lee Kitchens Collection SWCPC 577-E2 image #1.
   
The Engineering Building – The first unit of the main Engineering Building was built during the school year of 1927-1928 and was ready for use at the opening of the 1928-1929 session. This unit cost approximately $250,000, and has a floor area of approximately 52,000 square feet. It includes offices for Engineering faculty, laboratories and class rooms for departments of Architectural, Civil, Electrical, and Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Drawing and classrooms. Approximately $70,000 has been expended for apparatus for these laboratories.

The text above is a compilation of information from the following sources: Texas Technological college Bulletins - 1928.

Image citation: Engineering Services U217.3 box 6 folder 1 image #2.
   
The Greenhouse , erected in 1927, twenty-five by seventy-five feet, with an independent heating plant. Equipped for laboratory work.

Image citation: Lee Kitchens Collection SWCPC 577-E2 image #4.
The Gymnasium, erected in 1926, was a temporary field hose of tile and stucco, containing offices, lockers, and showers. The playing floor is fifty by ninety feet. The seating capacity is approximately 1,400. This building is also used as a convocation hall.

Image citation: Engineering Services Collection U 217.3 Box 6 folder 1 image #12.
   
  The Heating Plant, erected in 1925 as part of permanent structure, provides heat and water for college purposes.
   
The Home Economics Building was the first unit of the Home Economics Building was likewise ready for the occupancy at the opening of the College. This unit is approximately forty by eighty feet, and I two stories high. It contains the offices, class rooms, and laboratories of the School of Home Economics.

The text above is a compilation of information from the following sources: Texas Technological college Bulletins - 1926.

Image citation: Texas Technological College Bulletin July, 1926, Vol. II No. 3: p. 27.
The Home Management House – The Home Management House, constructed in 1927, was a brick residence, two stories high. Located near the Home Economics Building, its function was threefold: first, to serve as a home where students may put into practice the knowledge gained in the class room; second, to serve as a practical laboratory for classes in home furnishing, home management, and home nursing; and, third, to be used as a center for social activities of School of Home Economics.

The text above is a compilation of information from the following sources: Texas Technological college Bulletin - 1928.

Image citation: Home Management House Scrapbook 1939-1945: p. 140.
The Library,

Image citation: Home Management House Scrapbook 1932: p. 92.
   
  The Mechanical Engineering Shop, erected in 1926, is a tile and stucco structure, fifty by 100 feet, containing the pattern-making shop, machine shop, elementary mechanical engineering laboratory.
   
  The Stock Judging Pavilion, erected in 1925, is a tile and stucco  building containing a large arena and tiered seats, There are also class rooms.
The Textile Engineering Building – The first unit of the Textile Building was completed at the opening of the College; it is approximately sixty-five by two hundred and twenty feet, and I two stories in height. The value of the building and its equipment of modern textile machinery is about a quarter of a million dollars.

Image citation: Lee Kitchens Collection SWCPC 577-E2 image #6.
   
The President's Home -

Image citation: Texas Technological College Bulletin July, 1926, Vol. II No. 3: p. 37.
   

Back to the TTU Buildings page.

 
Contact the Reference Archivist  l  TTU  l  Search  l  Workstation Use Policy