Texas Tech University Archives
The Texas Tech campus has been a part of numerous building booms since its inception. One way to document these changes is through observing the changes in TTU campus maps over the years.



Year: Description
1924 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map: Loose page found in the U 14.1 James G. Allen collection, box 6 folder 31. Dated the late 1950s?

Notes of Interest: The buildings shown are the Dairy Barn, the Livestock Pavilion, Administration, the Cafeteria, the President's Home, Home Economics, Textile Engineering, and the Power Plant.
1924 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map: "Planning Texas Technological College" Report (mislabeled as 1956?), p. 4

Notes of Interest: Shows the original 8 buildings - Dairy Barn, the Livestock Pavilion, Administration, the Cafeteria, the President's Home, Home Economics, Textile Engineering, and the Power Plant - and their total cost and square footage.
1925-1930 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map: "Planning Texas Technological College" Report (mislabeled as 1956?), p. 5

Notes of Interest: Shows all the campus buildings, their total cost and square footage, and the student enrollment figures for each of these years.
1930 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map: History of Campus Development 1930, Texas Tech University, loose page found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file. This was part of a formerly bound report.

Notes of Interest:  The buildings highlighted in red are the ones that existed in the 1930s: Dairy Barn, Agriculture Pavilion, Speech, Child Development, Home Economics, Administration Building, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Industrial - Textile Engineering, Men's Gym, and the Steam Plant.
1932 [JPG] Source/Citation of the Map:  From the May 1932 Texas Tech Bulletin

Notes of Interest:  The buildings/structures shown the  Athletic Field, Gymnasium, Baseball Field, Mechanical Engineering Shops, Heating Plant, Textile Engineering, Engineering, Chemistry, Greenhouse, Administration, Home Economics, Bookstore, Home Management, Cafeteria, Stock Judging Pavilion, Agricultural class rooms, Dairy Barns, and the President's Home
1936 [JPG] Source/Citation of the Map:  P. 124 of the Texas Tech Students' Handbook, 1937-1937

Notes of Interest: The buildings/structures shown are the Athletic Field, Gymnasium, Baseball Field, Mechanical Engineering Shops, Heating Plant, Textile Engineering, Engineering, Men's Residence Hall, Chemistry, Greenhouse, Administration, Home Economics, Band Office, Home Management, Women's Residence Hall [later renamed Doak Hall], Book Store, Farm Shop, Stock Judging Pavilion, Agriculture, Dairy Barns, and the President's Home.
1930-1940 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map: "Planning Texas Technological College" Report (mislabeled as 1956?), p. 6

Notes of Interest: Shows all the campus buildings, their total cost and square footage, and the student enrollment figures for each of these years.
1940 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map: History of Campus Development 1940, Texas Tech University, loose page found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file. This was part of a formerly bound report.

Notes of Interest:  Buildings added since the 1930 map include Drane Hall, Doak Hall, Math, West Hall, Sneed Hall, and the Old Steam Plant has been expanded.
1941 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Page 12 of the June 1941 issue of Texas Tech Magazine.

Notes of Interest:  Includes the baseball field, the band office, bookstore, farm shop, and Dairy Barns.
1941 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map: Loose page found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file.

Notes of Interest:  Men's Dorm #1 is West Hall and Men's Dorm #2 is Sneed Hall. Women's Dorm #1 is Doak Hall and Women's Dorm #2 is Drane Hall.
1940-1950 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map: "Planning Texas Technological College" Report (mislabeled as 1956?), p. 7

Notes of Interest: Shows all the campus buildings, their total cost and square footage, and the student enrollment figures for each of these years.
1950 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  History of Campus Development 1950, Texas Tech University, loose page found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file. This was part of a formerly bound report.

Notes of Interest:  Buildings added since the 1940 map include: Housing Office, Horn/Knapp Hall, Ex-Students Association, Bookstore, Agricultural Sciences, Food Technology, a wing of Agricultural Engineering, Journalism, the southwest wing of Holden Hall, Gorden/Bledsoe Halls, a section of Petroleum Engineering, a reduction in the Old Steam Plant, Research, and the west and east stands of the football stadium.
1954 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Loose page found in the U 371.1 Margaret Harden Mercer collection, box 1 folder 8.

Notes of Interest:  Includes the Home Management House, Casa Linda, and the Nursery buildings.
1955-1956 [html] Source/Citation of the Map:  The First Thirty Years, p. 361.

Notes of Interest:  Building names and dates of construction were added to compliment the colored map.
1955-1956 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Loose handout found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file.

Notes of Interest:  Larger, more detailed version of the 1955-1956 map above.
1950-1956 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map: "Planning Texas Technological College" Report (mislabeled as 1956?), p. 8

Notes of Interest: Shows all the campus buildings, their total cost and square footage, and the student enrollment figures for each of these years.
undated [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Loose page found in the U 14.1 James G. Allen collection, box 6 folder 31. Dated the late 1950s?

Notes of Interest: The infirmary, located east of the Bookstore, dates to the late 1950s, and the Mass Communications building has yet to be built. The map shows many of the temporary buildings that were scattered around campus.
1956-1958 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map: "Planning Texas Technological College" Report (mislabeled as 1956?), p. 9

Notes of Interest: Shows all the campus buildings, their total cost and square footage, and the student enrollment figures for each of these years.
1960 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  History of Campus Development 1960, Texas Tech University, loose page found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file. This was part of a formerly bound report.

Notes of Interest: Buildings added since the 1950 map include: sections of the Student Union, the wings of the Administration Building, Weeks Hall, Animal Sciences, Meat Lab, the rest of Agricultural Engineering, Science, Carpenter/Wells Hall, Gaston Hall, Student Heath Center, additional sections of Home Economics, Civil Engineering, a wing of Industrial - Textile Engineering, a section of Petroleum Engineering, expansion of the Old Steam Plant, and the Natatorum and Physical Education.
Early 1960s [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Loose page found in the U 14.1 James G. Allen collection, box 6 folder 31. The Women's Dorm is cited as Fall '63.

Notes of Interest:  The new buildings shown include a new women's dorm (which is now the Wall/Gates complex), the Library, Student Union extension, the Reactor, Physical Science, and Classroom & Offices.
1961 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Loose page found in the U 14.1 James G. Allen collection, box 6 folder 31.

Notes of Interest:  The map shows the locations for the new library (which is where it is located today), the new women's dorm (which is now the Wall/Gates complex), and part of the south extension of the Student Union.
undated [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Loose page found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file. On the backside of the page is information about the campus bookstore. Perhaps dated the 1960s?

Notes of Interest:  The Rec Hall, Campus Club, Music, and Student Union buildings are not connected at this time; the College Farms are west and north of campus where KTXT and the commuter lots now reside; the Coliseum Auditorium and Practice Field are shown as "projected"; and the ROTC headquarters is in temporary buildings; Naval Armory is not yet in its final location on 4th Street; and "College Avenue" has not yet been renamed "University Avenue." Also shown are Casa Linda, the President's Home, and the Infirmary.
undated [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Loose page found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file.

Notes of Interest:  Buildings include the Coliseum Auditorium, the Saddle Tramps Circle, Infirmary, Plant Science, and Tech Press.
1962-1963 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Tech Tips, 1962-1963, p. 64
1963-1964  [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Loose handout found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file.

Notes of Interest:  Buildings under construction include a men's and women's dorm, Psychology and Speech Theatre.
1964-1965  [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Tech Tips, 1963-1964, p. 64

Notes of Interest:  The Greenhouse behind the Library, the Vet Science Building, and the Home Management Building on the south side of Horn-Knapp Halls.
1966-1967 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Loose page found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file.

Notes of Interest:  Buildings include the Coliseum Auditorium, College Farms, Entry Stations, the Milking Parlor, the Saddle Tramps Circle, Seismological Observatory, Tech Press, Veterinary Science, and several temporary X-buildings in use on campus.
1968 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map: Fall semester, 1968, Schedule of Classes bulletin.

Notes of Interest:  Buildings include an Agronomy building and residence, along with dorm and museum storage, located north of Indiana Avenue. Also included is the Herd Attendant's House, the Old Gym, the Men's Gym, and the Saddle Tramps Circle.
1970 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  History of Campus Development 1970, Texas Tech University, loose page found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file. This was part of a formerly bound report.

Notes of Interest:  Buildings added since the 1960 map include: Women's Gym, a new section of the Student Union, Bookstore, Mechanical Engineering, the Athletic Offices and the oval of Jones Stadium, Traffic Security, another section of Industrial - Textile Engineering, Engineering Center and Computer, Chemical Engineering, English, Biology, new Library, Psychology, Speech and Hearing Clinic, Theatre, Foreign Languages, Gates/Wall Halls, Clement/Hulen Halls, Business Administration, Stangel/Murdough Halls, Museum, Natural Science Research Lab, Horticulture, Physical Plant, Central Warehouse, Central Food Facilities, Central Heating and Cooling Plant, KTXT Station, School of Law, Complex Dining Facilities, Chitwood/Weymouth Halls, and Coleman Hall.
Spring 1970 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Back side of a visitor's parking pass, Spring 1970. Found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file.

Notes of Interest:  This detailed map shows the numbering of all the temporary buildings on campus, as well as the Dairy Facilities and Beef Cattle Feed lot and the entry guard stations.
1972 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Center pages of the Intramurals for Men brochure, 1972-1973.

Notes of Interest:  This detailed map shows all the building located on the north side of campus between University Avenue and Flint Avenue in addition to all the intramural playing fields located on this side of campus.
undated [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Loose brochure found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file. Perhaps dated the 1970s?

Notes of Interest:  The Architecture and Art Buildings are completed. Also shown is the Her Attendant's House; the Farm shops; KTXT-FM housed in the Speech Building; and the School of Medicine temporarily being housed in Drane Hall. 
1975 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Back side of Wiggins Housing and Dining Center brochure.

Notes of Interest:  This detailed map shows the numbering of all the temporary buildings on campus, as well as the English Building and an addition to the Electrical Engineering Building.
1978-1979 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Recruiting Information 1978-1979, Texas Tech University. Three fold brochure found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file.

Notes of Interest:  Good campus map with very detailed labels of the structures and sites around the Tech campus.
1980 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  History of Campus Development 1980, Texas Tech University, loose page found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file. This was part of a formerly bound report.

Notes of Interest:  Buildings added since the 1970 map include: additions to Jones Stadium, Garage, Handball court, addition to Industrial - Textile Engineering, Hazardous Chemical Storage, extension wing to Electrical Engineering, Mass Communications, a wing to Science, additional wings to Chemistry, the remainder of Holden Hall, addition to Civil Engineering, additions to Home Economics, connection of the Student Union and Music buildings, additional wing to the Library, Range and Wildlife Management, Dressing Rooms of the Track, Art, Architecture, Athletic Dining Hall, Recreation Center, Swimming Pool, Traffic and Parking Counselor, expansion of Central Heating and Cooling Plant, Greenhouse, Agriculture, Ranching Heritage Center, Cotton Gin, Power Plant, Cooling Towers, and two separate Health Sciences Center buildings.
1980s [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Campus Guide, dated between 1981-1988 since Dr. Cavazos is president.

Notes of Interest:  Very detailed map that includes the Tech Farms and Livestock Arena, the tow yard, the SWC Circle and nearby Natatorium and Gym, the Meats Lab, and McClellan Memorial Infirmary. 
1996 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Loose page found in a SWC building file.

Notes of Interest:  The detailed map includes the Southwest Conference Circle, the Arts and Sciences Garden, the Seismological Observatory, the Child Development Research Center, and the Women's Gymnasium.
2000 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  loose campus parking map found among some old TTU 2000 memos.

Notes of Interest:  The map shows the USDA Plant Stress and Water Conservation Lab under construction as well as several other construction sites around campus.
undated [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Loose brochure found in the Texas Tech Campus Plans reference file. Dated sometime between 2000-2009.

Notes of Interest:  The new Texas Tech Federal Credit Union Building, the McInturff Conference Center, and the new Parking Garage under construction.
2012 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Insert on pages 108-109 in The Word publication.

Notes of Interest:  The map shows all the bus routes in addition to the campus buildings and parking lots.
2014 [PDF] Source/Citation of the Map:  Hospitality Services brochure.

Notes of Interest:  Aside from denoting all the campus dining options, the map depicts Tech's extensive athletic and recreational facilities, the recently completed Petroleum Engineering Building, and notes the in-progress Upperclass and Graduate Halls under construction.



Back to the page on historical tidbits on the establishment and growth of Texas Tech University.

Back to the University Archives home page

 
Contact the Reference Archivist  l  TTU  l  Search  l  Workstation Use Policy