Click on the Logo to visit our
Texas Tech University Archives
Passed on February 10, 1923, Senate Bill No. 103 is commonly referred to as the school charter.
Lubbock, Texas, was officially selected as the site of a new college on August 8, 1923 by the Locating Board.
In the fall of 1925, Texas Technological College opened. Then, from 1959-1969, debates grew over renaming the college,
and on Sept. 1, 1969, the Board of Directors officially change the name to Texas Tech University.
Below are historical tidbits and information on the establishment and growth of Texas Tech
Texas Tech Timeline, 1923-present
Founding of Texas Technological College:
Establishment of Texas Tech, the Board of Regents, Early TTU Footage, Texas Tech Songs and Traditions,
Historical Publications on Texas Tech, and Published Departmental Histories.
Academic Firsts and Milestones:
Enrollment Information, Texas Tech Firsts and Milestones, and a Chronology of TTU Departments and Degrees.
Other Texas Tech History Resources:
Campus Maps and Structures, a Guide to Women's Resources in the University Archives, Horn Professors,
a Timeline of Minorities at Texas Tech, and Who's Who in TTU Administration.
Digital Collections From the University Archives
Digitized Photographs From the University Archives
Texas Tech Timeline - "From here,
Below is a timeline of some of the highlights of Texas Tech
- February 10, 1923 - Senate Bill No. 103 is signed by Governor Pat Neff, creating a new
college in West Texas to be named Texas Technological College.
- November 11, 1925 - The ceremony for the laying of the cornerstone of the Administration Building
was attended by thousands.
- September 22, 1925 - Paul Whitfield Horn, first president of Texas Tech, and his wife hold a reception
at their residence for the new faculty.
- September 28-29, 1925 - Entrance exams were held for students wishing to enroll in the new
- September 29-30, 1925 - Registration for new classes was held.
- September 30, 1925 - formal opening exercises for the college were held in front of the
Administration Building at 4 p.m.
- October 1, 1925 - The first convocation was held at 10 a.m. and the college
hymn, "O College Mother, Beautiful," was sung for the first time. Classes had began starting at 8 am.
- October 3, 1925 - The first football game took place at 4 p.m. Texas Tech, as the Matadors, squared off
against McMurray College. The final score was a tie - Texas Tech 0, McMurray College 0.
- October 3, 1925 - President Paul Whitfield Horn and his wife hosted a reception for students and faculty
to meet one another.
- October 3, 1925 - The first issue of The Toreador, the college's new student newspaper,
was published. This issue, along with others, are now available for
- October 4, 1925 - Reverend R. Thomsen gave the opening sermon to the students and a union
from all the Lubbock churches in the Livestock Judging Pavilion.
- October 9, 1925 - The Matadors played their second football game, this time against Austin College.
The final score was another tie - Texas Tech 3, Austin College 3.
- October 13, 1925 - Lubbock churches held receptions for students of their respective
- By the time of publication of the October 1925 Bulletin, 914 students were enrolled in
Texas Technological College.
- November 25, 1925 - The first bonfire at a "pep meeting" takes place.
- Texas Tech received accreditation by the Association of Texas Colleges and the Texas Education Agency
(formerly State Department of Educations).
- Coach E. Y. Freeland presented the first letterman's sweaters during convocation in the
Livestock Pavilion. The sweaters were scarlet with two black outlined T's.
(The Toreador 1/9/26).
- April 17, 1926 - the first All-College Dance was held on the rooftop garden of Cheri Casa Home
for Boys. Programs of some of the Cheri Casa events can be viewed
- November 24, 1926 - Coat-style senior sweaters were worn for the first time. The sweaters had a
black "T" on them with a scarlet "Tech" and the numerals "'2" and "7" on either side. The design for a senior class
ring was still under discussion.
(The Toreador 11/26/26).
- May 26, 1927 - As part of the 1st commencement exercises, the College Choral Club, assisted by
soloists that included W. P. Clement, presented a thursday evening program of Sir Frederic Cowen's "Rose Maiden"
held at 8 p.m. in the College Gymnasium.
- May 28, 1927 - As part of the 1st commencement exercises, students, under the direction of
instructors Ruth Pirtle, Johnnye Gilkerson and Band Director Harry LeMaire, put on a Saturday night pageant
titled "Light in the Lone Star." The pageant, which began at 8:30 p.m., was held in before the Cloisters of
the Administration Building.
- May 29, 1927 - As part of the 1st commencement exercises, a Sunday morning Baccalaureate Sermon was
held at 11 a.m. in the College Gymnasium. Dr. J. C. Granberry provided the invocation, the College Choral Club sang the
anthem, and Reverend O. F. Powers gave the sermon. A signing of the College hymn, "O College Mother Beautiful"
- May 30, 1927 - Texas Tech's first commencement ceremony takes place on Monday morning at 10:30 a.m.
in the College Gymnasium. Mary Dale Buckner becomes the first Texas Tech student to receive a diploma after winning the
drawing for which student would get the honor to walk first.
- May 19, 1928 - The annual pageant titled "Within the Reach of the Plains People" is held on Saturday
evening at 8 p.m. at the College Athletic Field.
- May 25, 1928 - The All-College Operetta titled "Aboard the Good Ship Barnacle" is held on Friday
evening at 8:15 p.m. in the College Gymnasium.
- May 27, 1928 - The Sunday morning Baccalaureate Sermon is held in the College Gymnasium
at 11 a.m.
- May 28, 1928 - Texas Tech's second commencement ceremony takes place on Monday morning at 10:30 a.m.
in the College Gymnasium. Former Texas Governor Pat M. Neff gives the Baccalaureate address.
- Texas Tech received accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary
- May 17, 1929 - Directed by Ruth Pirtle, the "Fourth Annual Festivity An Elizabethan Fair"
is presented by student on the lawn before the Cloisters (south side) of the Administration Building at 8:30
- May 25, 1929 - On the south lawn of the Administration Building, a ceremony is held at 7:00 p.m.
for the presentation of a class gift and investiture of the junior class. Horace Grady Moore presented the class gift
of a portrait of Texas Tech President Paul Whitfield Horn and the Texas Tech Band provided the music.
- May 26, 1929 - The Sunday morning Baccalaureate Sermon is held in the College Gymnasium
at 11 a.m.
- May 27, 1929 - Texas Tech's third commencement ceremony takes place on Monday morning at 10:30 a.m.
in the College Gymnasium. This is first class to graduate who have completed all four years of coursework at
Texas Tech. President Edgar Odell Lovett, of Rice Institute, gives the Baccalaureate address.
- May 12, 1930 - An original operetta, "Naughty Prince Grasshopper," by W. R. Waghorne is given by
the Public School Music Class in room 202 of the Administration Building.
- May 24, 1930 - On the south lawn of the Administration Building, a ceremony is held at 7:00 p.m.
for the presentation of a class gift and investiture of the junior class. Warren Huff, the student who presented the
gift to President Horn, is cited in the May 22nd issue of The Toreador as "the individual who initiated the student
- November 7-8, 1930 - the first Annual Tech Aggie Rodeo was held.
- The senior class of 1931 gifted a large Double T Bench, designed by architectural engineering
student B. A. Brady, to the college. The bench is still resides in its original location on the south side of the
- The first Homecoming Parade was held.
- The first men's dormitory No. 1 (West Hall) and the first women's dormitory (Doak Hall) opened.
- May 8, 1940 - The first annual "Texas Tech Day" was observed by chapters of the
- October 18, 1940 - Texas Tech celebrated its first official Western Day.
- Tech received accreditation by the American Association of University Women.
- Tech received accreditation by the American Association of Universities.
- Carl Coke Rister was appointed to the fist distinguished professorship at Texas Tech.
- The Board of Regents approved the changing of the name of the five undergraduate academic units
from "Division" to "School" effective September 1, 1956. (BOR meeting minutes 11/5/55)
- Texas Tech received accreditation by the American Association of Colleges for
- The Atchiston, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway donated a locomotive bell to the Saddle Tramps
which was called Saddle Tramp Spirit Bell No. 1. The bell would be used primarily at football games.
(Tex Talks, May, 1960)
- The Carol of Lights tradition officially begins with student body president Bill Dean
flippling the light switch in December of 1961.
- The traditional green color of the freshmen beanie with red lettering, often referred to as
the "Slime Cap" or "Fish Cap," is changed to alternating red and black with a black bill.
(Tex Talks, October, 1962)
- The Board of Regents supported an administrative ruling prohibiting the use of Memorial Circle and
adjoining quadrangles for the Carol of Lights program. This was in response to a series of US Federal Appellate
Court decisions on the use of designated areas for specific uses (For Your Information
newsletter, vol. 3 no. 11 and 12, Dec. 6, 1972).
- The official women's basketball team is formed following the enactment of Title IX
with Suzie Lynch as the team's first coach.
- December 18, 1981 - the first December graduation ceremony is held, offering summer and
fall graduates the opportunity to participate in a separate fall graduation ceremony rather than having to wait until
the following May. (The Toreador 9/22/81).