Texas Tech University Archives
Passed on February 10, 1923, Senate Bill No. 103 is commonly referred to as the school charter.
Lubbock, Texas, was officially selected as the site of a new college on August 8, 1923 by the Locating Board.
In the fall of 1925, Texas Technological College opened. Then, from 1959-1969, debates grew over renaming the college,
and on Sept. 1, 1969, the Board of Directors officially change the name to Texas Tech University.
Texas Tech University General Timeline - "From here, it's possible"
- February 10, 1923 -
Senate Bill No. 103
was signed by Governor Pat Neff, creating a new
college in West Texas to be named Texas Technological College.
- The laying of the cornerstone took place on November 11, 1924, before a crowd of 20,000
people. Governor Pat Neff, standing on a cotton bale, addressed the crowd. Other speakers included Amon G. Carter,
Reverend E. E. Robinson, Colonel E. O. Thompson, and Representative R. M. Chitwood.
- Texas Technological College opened with four separate colleges - the
School of Liberal Arts,
the School of Household Economics [later called Home Economics], the
School of Agriculture, and
the School of Engineering.
- The first year of classes held at Texas Technological College were comprised of freshman and
sophomore level students.
- September 22, 1925 - Paul Whitfield Horn, first president of Texas Tech, and his wife hold a reception
at their residence for the new faculty.
- September 28-29, 1925 - Entrance exams were held for students wishing to enroll in the new
- September 29-30, 1925 - Registration for new classes was held.
- September 30, 1925 - formal opening exercises for the college were held in front of the
Administration Building at 4 p.m.
- October 1, 1925 - The first convocation was held at 10 a.m. and the college
hymn, "O College Mother, Beautiful," was sung for the first time.
The first classes began at 8 am. Of the 925 students, 738 were first time college enrollees
while 187 students were transfers from other colleges.
- October 3, 1925 - The first football game took place at 4 p.m. Texas Tech, as the Matadors, squared off
against McMurray College. The final score was a tie - Texas Tech 0, McMurray College 0.
- October 3, 1925 - President Paul Whitfield Horn and his wife hosted a reception for students and faculty
to meet one another.
- October 3, 1925 - The first issue of The Toreador, the college's new student newspaper,
was published. This issue, along with others, are now available for
- October 4, 1925 - Reverend R. Thomsen gave the opening sermon to the students and a union
from all the Lubbock churches in the Livestock Judging Pavilion.
- October 9, 1925 - The Matadors played their second football game, this time against Austin College.
The final score was another tie - Texas Tech 3, Austin College 3.
- October 13, 1925 - Lubbock churches held receptions for students of their respective
- By the time of publication of the October 1925 Bulletin, 914 students were enrolled in
Texas Technological College.
- November 11, 1925 - The ceremony for the laying of the cornerstone of the Administration Building
was attended by thousands.
- November 25, 1925 - The first bonfire at a "pep meeting" takes place.
- The second year of classes held at Texas Technological College
were comprised of freshman through
junior level students.
- Texas Tech received accreditation by the Association of Texas Colleges and the Texas Education Agency
(formerly State Department of Educations).
- Coach E. Y. Freeland presented the first letterman's sweaters during convocation in the
Livestock Pavilion. The sweaters were scarlet with two black outlined T's.
(The Toreador 1/9/26).
- April 17, 1926 - the first All-College Dance was held on the rooftop garden of Cheri Casa Home
for Boys. Programs of some of the Cheri Casa events can be viewed
- November 24, 1926 - Coat-style senior sweaters were worn for the first time. The sweaters had a
black "T" on them with a scarlet "Tech" and the numerals "'2" and "7" on either side. The design for a senior class
ring was still under discussion.
(The Toreador 11/26/26).
- The third year of classes held at Texas Technological College were comprised of freshman through
senior level students.
- May 26, 1927 - As part of the 1st commencement exercises, the College Choral Club, assisted by
soloists that included W. P. Clement, presented a Thursday evening program of Sir Frederic Cowen's "Rose Maiden"
held at 8 p.m. in the College Gymnasium.
- May 28, 1927 - As part of the 1st commencement exercises, students, under the direction of
instructors Ruth Pirtle, Johnnye Gilkerson and Band Director Harry LeMaire, put on a Saturday night pageant
titled "Light in the Lone Star." The pageant, which began at 8:30 p.m., was held in before the Cloisters of
the Administration Building.
- May 29, 1927 - As part of the 1st commencement exercises, a Sunday morning Baccalaureate Sermon was
held at 11 a.m. in the College Gymnasium. Dr. J. C. Granberry provided the invocation, the College Choral Club sang the
anthem, and Reverend O. F. Powers gave the sermon. A signing of the College hymn, "O College Mother Beautiful"
- May 30, 1927 - Texas Tech's first commencement
ceremony took place on Monday morning at 10:30 a.m. in the College
Gymnasium. Mary Dale Buckner became the first Texas Tech student to receive a diploma after winning the
drawing for which student would get the honor to walk first.
- May 30, 1927 - the Alumni Association was organized following the commencement ceremonies by
the first 26 graduates.
- May 19, 1928 - The annual pageant titled "Within the Reach of the Plains People" is held on Saturday
evening at 8 p.m. at the College Athletic Field.
- May 25, 1928 - The All-College Operetta titled "Aboard the Good Ship Barnacle" is held on Friday
evening at 8:15 p.m. in the College Gymnasium.
- May 27, 1928 - The Sunday morning Baccalaureate Sermon is held in the College Gymnasium
at 11 a.m.
- May 28, 1928 - Texas Tech's second commencement ceremony took place on Monday morning at 10:30 a.m.
in the College Gymnasium. Former Texas Governor Pat M. Neff gives the Baccalaureate address. The first master's degrees were awarded to
three Tech students.
- Texas Tech received accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary
- May 17, 1929 - Directed by Ruth Pirtle, the "Fourth Annual Festivity An Elizabethan Fair"
is presented by student on the lawn before the Cloisters (south side) of the Administration Building at 8:30
- May 25, 1929 - On the south lawn of the Administration Building, a ceremony is held at 7:00 p.m.
for the presentation of a class gift and investiture of the junior class. Horace Grady Moore presented the class gift
of a portrait of Texas Tech President Paul Whitfield Horn and the Texas Tech Band provided the music.
- May 26, 1929 - The Sunday morning Baccalaureate Sermon is held in the College Gymnasium
at 11 a.m.
- May 27, 1929 - Texas Tech's third commencement ceremony takes place on Monday morning at 10:30 a.m.
in the College Gymnasium. This is first class to graduate who have completed all four years of coursework at
Texas Tech. President Edgar Odell Lovett, of Rice Institute, gives the Baccalaureate address.
- May 12, 1930 - An original operetta, "Naughty Prince Grasshopper," by W. R. Waghorne is given by
the Public School Music Class in room 202 of the Administration Building.
- May 24, 1930 - On the south lawn of the Administration Building, a ceremony is held at 7:00 p.m.
for the presentation of a class gift and investiture of the junior class. Warren Huff, the student who presented the
gift to President Horn, is cited in the May 22nd issue of The Toreador as "the individual who initiated the student
- November, 1930 - The Matador band makes its first appearance in new uniforms described as
suits of black serge trimmed with gold braid, with red satin leg inserts
reminiscent of a bull fighter, and black flat-topped Spanish hats
(TTC press release 11/6/30).
- November 7-8, 1930 - The First Annual Tech Aggie Rodeo was held. Kathleen Harmon was the
first Rodeo Queen.
- The senior class of 1931 gifted a large Double T Bench, designed by architectural engineering
student B. A. Brady, to the college. The bench is still resides in its original location on the south side of the
- January 14, 1932 - Texas Technological College was accepted into the Border Conference and became
eligible for playing in the conference starting September 1, 1932.
- The first Homecoming Parade was held.
- June 13, 1933 - Students met to organize the first law class in Tech history. The names of
the first students and how the class was set up can be found in the June 15th issue of the Toreador under the
headline "Tech Lawyers Form First Law Class on Campus; Members to Prepare For Bar Examinations."
- October 1, 1934 - The first men's dormitory No. 1 (West Hall) and the first women's dormitory
(Doak Hall) opened.
- W. B. "Dub" Rushing, a Texas Tech graduate, opened the Varsity Bookstore at 1305 College Avenue.
- The Board of Regents approved President Knapp’s suggestion that a Division of Graduate Study
be created, with the Chairman of the Graduate Committee designated as the Chairman of Graduate Study. No dean would
be appointed. (BOR 1-28-36)
- June, 1937 - The graduate program became a separate unit under its own dean and council.
Dr. William A. Jackson was named Dean of the Division of Graduate Studies.
- The Journalism Department was established.
- March 17, 1939 - The Texas Tech Blarney Stone was unveiled in front of the Electrical Engineering
Building. President Clifford B. Jones dismissed engineering students from classes at 9 am to attend the dedication
ceremony so the students could being the tradition of kissing the stone to receive the power of eloquent speech.
"Only seniors will be allowed to kiss the Blarney stone, but underclassmen are supposed to give it the respect it
is due." The Toreador 3/22/39
- May 29, 1939 - The Board of Directors authorized the creation of the Tech Foundation.
- May 8, 1940 - The first annual "Texas Tech Day" was observed by chapters of the
- October 18, 1940 - Texas Tech celebrated its first official Western Day.
- The School of Business Administration is inaugurated.
- Tech received accreditation by the American Association of University Women.
- November, 1946 - Texas Tech was accepted on list approved by the American Association of Universities.
- Texas Tech received accreditation by the American Association of Universities.
- President Whyburn officially proclaimed April 11th-12th as the Second Annual All-Western Days on
the Tech campus. (The Toreador 4/11/47)
- November 29, 1947 - Dedication of the Clifford B. and Audrey Jones Stadium
took place during the half-time of the Texas Tech vs Hardin-Simmons football game. (A copy of the dedication ceremony
script of speeches resides in Clifford Jones' Papers Box 26 folder 9)
- June, 1949 - Texas Tech was recognized by the American Association of University Women.
- The first PhD programs were offered beginning in the 1950-1951 academic year.
- October 19, 1950 - the formal dedication of the Texas Tech Museum with former president Clifford B.
Jones giving the dedication and Carl Coke Rister as the guest speaker kicked off Tech's Silver Anniversary celebrations.
- The Silver Anniversary Symposium on October 20th included a luncheon for delegates from colleges
and university in Drane Hall, a Symposium in the Senior High School Auditorium, and a dinner in Drane Hall.
- November 11, 1950 - Texas Senator Lyndon B. Johnson was guest speaker at the
dedication ceremony for Texas Tech's $4,000,000 building program. A large silver punch bowl was also presented during
the half-time game on behalf of the Ex-Students Association in honor of the college's
silver anniversary. (The Toreador 11/15/50)
- Carl Coke Rister was appointed to the first distinguished professorship at Texas Tech.
- June 21, 1952 - Greek-letter fraternity and sororities were officially allowed at Texas Tech.
- August 27, 1952 - Estus C. Polk , a graduate student in English, was awarded the first doctoral degree
from Texas Technological College.
- October 31, 1952 - The laying of the cornerstone and dedication ceremony was held for the
Student Union Building.
- January 1, 1954 - Making his debut as the first official Masked Rider, Joe Kirk Fulton rode a horse
onto the football field during the Gator Bowl game between Texas Tech versus Auburn University. Coach DeWitt Weaver
was credited with the idea of having a new Texas Tech mascot make his debut during the Gator Bowl game. (Link to
- The first photo ID cards were issued to students for the fall semester by the Student Council.
Four copies of each ID were issued - one for the student, one for the Registrar's Office, one for the Dean of Student
Life, and one for the dean of the student's division. (The Toreador
- November 18, 1954 - Dedication ceremony for the South Plains Mural in the Museum Rotunda. Artists
Peter Hurd, Mrs. Hurd, John Meigs and Manuel Acosta were in attendance. KDUB-TV televised a 30 minute live television show
of the event and Dr. Gene Hemmle directed the Texas Tech Choir for the song "Ye Shall Have a Song." (See
The Museum News
newsletter January 1955)
- December 11, 1954 - The Board of Directors approved the hiring of Ruth Horn,
daughter of the first TTC president, to write a book on the history of Texas Technological College with the
understanding that copyright to the book and any royalties would be property of the college.
- The Southwest Collection was established as a department separate from the Library and officially
opened its doors on September 1, 1955. Dr. Seymour V. Connor was its first archivist.
- The Board of Regents approved the changing of the name of the five undergraduate academic units
from "Division" to "School" effective September 1, 1956. (BOR meeting minutes 11/5/55)
- February 22, 1956 - George E. Benson was appointed to represent the Board
of Directors at the ground breaking ceremony for the Army Reserve Training Center, which would be located at the northwest
corner of the City Auditorium-Coliseum. The land was leased to the Texas National Guard Armory Board.
- May 12, 1956 - Texas Tech is accepted into the Southwest Conference.
At 10:32 am KFYO sportscaster Jack Dale made the radio announcement from Fayetteville yelling
"Texas Tech is in the Southwest Conference!" The Victory Bells on the Tech campus began ringing and people gathered along
College Avenue to loudly celebrate in pep rally No. 1 (Lubbock Avalanche-Journal 5/13/56)
- April 25, 1958 - the American Association of University Professors membership cast a unanimous
vote of censure against Texas Technological College the dismissals of three Tech faculty members. The blacklist
would remain in place for almost almost a decade.
- The Honors Program was initiated.
- Between December 16-20, 1959 - Over 5,000 red, yellow and white colorful holiday lights were arranged
on 4 buildings (Chemistry, Science, the original Library [now Mathematics], and Administration) to brighten up the holiday
season. Board of Regents member Harold Hinn, who was President of Harvest Queen Mills in Plainview, was inspired by a
light display he had seen in a Kansas City shopping complex and wanted to bring that Texas Tech. Hinn also provided the
funding for the lighting and hoped that this would become an annual tradition.
(The Toreador 1/7/60)
- Texas Tech received accreditation by the American Association of Colleges for
- April 1960 - A chapter of Sigma Xi was installed at Texas Tech.
- The Atchiston, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway donated a locomotive bell to the Saddle Tramps
which was called Saddle Tramp Spirit Bell No. 1. The bell would be used primarily at football games.
(Tex Talks, May 1960)
- October 15, 1960 - Re-dedication of the newly enlarged Clifford B. and Audrey Jones Stadium
took place during the half-time of the Texas Tech versus Baylor football game. The home game was the first in Tech's first
full year as a member of the Southwest Athletic Conference. A crowd of 35,000 was projected to fill the stadium's new
capacity of 41,000 seats.
- Lubbock Mayor David C. Casey proclaimed December 19, 1960, "E. J. Holub Day" in honor of
Holub's many athletic achievements that fall, including being named "the nation's No. 1 lineman"
and Texas Tech's first all-American.
- The Century Club was formed with 130 charter members.
- January 2, 1961 - Tech received the Southwest Conference Sportsmanship Award for its first full
year participating in the Conference.
- January, 1961 - Male members of the Tech Singers and the Tech Choir, as the Men's Glee Club of Texas Tech,
were selected to make a record for Prentice-Hall Publishing Company. They were among 5 university and college groups
selected to make music recordings in conjunction with five music book being published by Prentice for public school
- February 24, 1961 - The men's basketball team won the Southwest Conference title,
beating out TCU at 101-75.
- March, 1961 - Tech faculty members who were Phi Beta Kappa members formed Lychnos in a bid to
obtain a Phi Beta Kappa chapter at Texas Tech.
- In the summer of 1961, Mrs. Lucille Sugar Graves became the first African American student
to enroll at Texas Tech.
- The Carol of Lights tradition officially begins with student body president Bill Dean
flipping on the light switch in December of 1961.
- The traditional green color of the freshmen beanie with red lettering, often referred to as
the "Slime Cap" or "Fish Cap," is changed to alternating red and black with a black bill.
(Tex Talks, October 1962)
- Approval was received for establishing a new Law School at Texas Tech.
- In the first year of Peace Corps training at Texas Tech, 56 volunteers underwent an 8-week intensive
training program covered by a $80.000 grant. The volunteers were assigned to work in Ecuador.
- October 2, 1965 - The fortieth anniversary of Texas Tech's opening was celebrated all day,
with hospitality registration held in the Student Union Building. It was arranged in conjunction with
the Texas Tech versus A&M evening football game. The theme for the celebration was recognizing and honor individuals
instrumental in establishing the school. The School of Engineering also hosted an open house.
- In the second year of Peace Corps training on the Tech campus, 55 volunteers arrived the week of
August 31, 1966, for an 11-week intensive training program covered by a $144,000 grant. The program was
directed by professor George O. Elle and the volunteers were assigned to work in Costa Rica.
- Fall, 1966 - Four Texas Tech professors nicknamed "The Flying Professors" began the first
distance learning program at Texas Tech by flying weekly to the cities of Pampa, Borger, Midland and
Odessa to teach classes towards a Master in Engineering degree. Amarillo was added in 1967 and the faculty members involved
expanded to five - Richard Dudek, H. R. Heichelheim, Donald Helmers, James Lawrence and A. G. Oberg.
- The Texas Tech School of Law is inaugurated.
- March 6, 1967 - first day of a campus bus route was free. Afterwards, the fare was 10 cents..
- April 8, 1967 - the Board of Directors approved the student body flag design, selected in an election
held on February 24th, as the "official flag" for Texas Technological College. It was designed by Jimmy Hogg, a
senior engineering student.
- April 28, 1967 - the American Association of University Professors membership unanimously voted
to finally remove Texas Technological College from its censure list.
- June 29, 1967 - the groundbreaking for the new Biology Building was held at 10:30 a.m.
- Amarillo was added in 1967 to "The Flying Professors" rotation and the number of faculty members
involved expanded to five - Richard Dudek, H. R. Heichelheim, Donald Helmers, James Lawrence and A. G. Oberg.
The passing of HB692 established the Western Information Network (WIN), which involved the use of closed circuit
television among 18 educational West Texas institutions with the Coordinating Board's oversight and administrative
offices located at Texas Tech.
- October 25, 1968 - the groundbreaking ceremony for the $5.5 million addition to
the Chemistry building was held. The new structure comprised of 125,600 square feet and included an auditorium
that seated 300.
- September 1, 1969 - The Texas State Legislature formally approved the TTU Board of Regents
name change request. Texas Technological College officially became Texas Tech University.
- October 6, 1969 - Dedication ceremonies for the new $4.5 million Business
Administration facility, located at 15th and Flint, was held in the auditorium. A symposium and open house event
were also held as part of the building dedication.
- December, 1969 - 15 students finished their coursework early to become the first graduating class
of the Law School.
- Lubbock Mayor Dr. Jim Granberry proclaimed October 18-22, 1971, as Texas Tech-Lubbock Week.
- The Department of Mass Communications was formed, combining the Journalism Department and
courses in telecommunications from the Speech Department, and advertising courses from the School of Business.
- The Institute for Studies in Pragmaticism was founded by Charles S. Hardwick and Kenneth L. Ketner
during the 1971-1972 school term.
- The Board of Regents supported an administrative ruling prohibiting the use of Memorial Circle and
adjoining quadrangles for the Carol of Lights program. This was in response to a series of US Federal Appellate
Court decisions on the use of designated areas for specific uses (For Your Information
newsletter, vol. 3 no. 11 and 12, Dec. 6, 1972).
- February 2, 1973 - A groundbreaking ceremony for the $4.8 million Library addition was held.
This was the first time in Tech's history two groundbreaking ceremonies, the School of Medicine's being the other one,
would be held on the same day with Board of Regents members in attendance..
- February 10, 1973 - First observance of Charter Day at Texas Tech, as part of the university's
- The official women's basketball team is formed following the enactment of Title IX
with Suzie Lynch as the team's first coach.
- February 27, 1975 - The newly appointed Women's Athletic Council held its first meeting.
- March, 1975 - Dr. Bill Dean, assistant professor of Journalism and student publications director,
was chosen as Tech Man of the Year by staff of the La Ventana.
- December 18, 1981 - the first December graduation ceremony is held, offering summer and
fall graduates the opportunity to participate in a separate fall graduation ceremony rather than having to wait until
the following May. (The Toreador 9/22/81).
- In December, the Goin' Band was named the Best Dressed Band in the Nation and was the regional winner
for 1982. The new uniforms were purchased in the fall and replaced uniforms purchased 23 years prior. "Judges called
the Spanish Matador style uniform, worn by the band's 400 members, 'striking.'" (TTU press release #30-12-3-82)
- The School of Mass Communications was formed.
- The Lady Raiders won the national women's basketball championship.
- Texas Senate Bill No. 254 was unanimously approved to provide for the position of Student Regent on
a university's board of regents.
- Chad Greenfield was appointed by Governor Rick Perry as the first Student Regent to the Board of Regents
for the TTU System.
- The Texas Tech University System, comprised of both
Texas Tech University and the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, is established.
- August, 1996 - John T. Montford was chosen to serve as the university's first chancellor.
He would serve in this capacity for five years (resigning in September of 2001) and oversaw a very successful capital
campaign fundraising program.
- September, 2001 - Dr. David R. Smith was named Interim Chancellor.
- Summer, 2001 - Red Raider Camp was held for the first time in Junction, Texas, with 335 campers in
- May, 2002 - Dr. David R. Smith was officially appointed Chancellor of the TTU System. He would
serve in this capacity until his resignation in February of 2006.
- The College of Mass Communications was formed as a separate and independent unit.
- Starting in the fall 2005, women began serving in the role of Raider Red. Due to high demand and
class schedules, multiple students were selected to portrayed the mascot. The women were selected from the membership
of the High Riders and the men from the membership of the Saddle Tramps.
- December, 2006 - Kent R. Hance was appointed Chancellor of the TTU System. He would
serve in this capacity until his retirement in July of 2014.
- San Angelo State University joined the Texas Tech University System.
- From 2009-2013, Red Raider Camp was combined with New Student Orientation to become
Red Raider Orientation.
- January, 2012 - The new, state of the art Rawls College of Business Building officially
opened for classes.
- June 15 and 17, 2014 - Under Coach Tim Tadlock, the men's baseball team made its first appearance
in Omaha for the College World Series. In game 3 Tech lost 3-2 to TCU and in game 7 Tech lost 2-1 to Ole Miss.
- July 7, 2014 - Robert Duncan was appointed Chancellor of the TTU System. He would
serve in this capacity until resigning effective August 31, 2018.
- January 6, 2015 - Texas Tech University and Collin College (McKinney, Texas) signed a partnership
agreement allowing students in the Dallas/Fort Worth area to be able to receive Bachelor degrees.
- April 1, 2016 - Texas Tech University and Hill College (Cleburne, Texas) signed a partnership
agreement allowing students who have earned an associate's degree to transfer to Texas Tech to complete
a bachelor's degree.
- May 19, 2016 - The first annual Lavender Graduation ceremony at Texas Tech, hosted by the
RISE Office, celebrates the success of soon-to-be graduating LGBTQIA students with their families and
- March 6, 2017 - 50th anniversary of Citibus (originally the Lubbock Transit Corp.)
running a scheduled route on TTU campus.
- September 25, 2017 - Undergraduate enrollment for full-time equivalent (FTE) Hispanic students
reached 27.8% in the fall semester, qualifying Texas Tech to meet the minimum student enrollment requirement for status
as an Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). This status opened new funding opportunities for the university, its faculty,
researchers and students.
- 2,105 official class rings were sold in 2018, with 80 percent of the students receiving the rings
in attendance at the annual ring ceremonies event hosted by the Alumni Association.
- March 23, 2018 - For the first time in the men's basketball team's history, the
Red Raiders advance to the Elite Eight round of the NCAA tournament.
- May 10, 2018 - Ribbon cutting ceremony for the new Costa Rica Campus in San Jose.
- November 30, 2018 - During the 60th anniversary of Carol of Lights event, Bill Dean, outgoing president
and CEO of the Texas Tech Alumni and associate professor in the College of Media and Communication, helped turned on
the lights, a function he participated in during the first official Carol of Lights ceremony in the capacity of being
Student Government President.
- March 30, 2019 - For the first time in the men's basketball team's history, the
Red Raiders advance to the Final Four round, beating out Michigan State 61-51.
- April 8, 2019 - The men's basketball team lost its first NCAA national championship game 77-85
against the Virginia Cavaliers. Despite the loss, the heavy media coverage of the team's strong season resulted in the
university receiving so much positive media coverage that applications for admittance to the university spikes.
- April 22, 2019 - The official ring ceremony was expanded upon to include a processional of the rings
from the McKenzie-Merket Alumni Center to the east Bell Tower of the Administration Building. The Victory Bells were
rung by members of the Saddle Tramps to mark the occassion. 648 students received rings during the spring 2019
- June 7, 2019 - The men's track team and field won the national NCAA outdoor track and field championship
in Austin, Texas. The achievement marked the first time a Texas Tech men's athletic team won a national championship,
and only the second time any Texas Tech athletic team has won a national championship since the university's opening
Back to the University Archives TTU History page