Athletic Collections in
the Texas Tech University Archives
There are numerous athletic materials available within the University
Archives and the Southwest Collections' holdings. To aid researchers,
resources have been
arranged into the following categories on two separate web pages.
Section 1 consists of:
I. Manuscripts and Publications, II.
Photographs, III. Scrapbooks and Memorabilia, IV. Film and Videos, and
V. Oral History
Section 2 consists of:
Addition Research Resources for TTU Athletics, Historical Tidbits, Athletic
Directors and Coaches, Miscellaneous Resources,
and Links to Other
I. Manuscript Collections and Publications
After a controversy concerning the
1974 Peach Bowl, a resolution was drawn at Tech giving the Athletic Council no final
authority, but instead emphasized its advisory role. Comprised to include faculty members,
the matters under faculty control include enforcement of scholastic standards, supervision
of all expenditures, budget preparations, recommendations of members of the athletic
staff, and enforcement of recruitment regulations and athletic subsidizations.
U 22.1 Athletic Council Records, 1925-1994 and undated:
This 22 box and 1 oversized folder collection consists of applications, baseball files, basketball files,
Border Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, correspondence, financial material, football files, golf files,
meeting minutes, National Collegiate Athletic Association, newspaper clippings, Southwest Athletic Conference,
sports files, state officials, statistics, swimming files, tennis files, and track files. The oversized materials
involve blueprints of the athletic dormitory, tennis courts, and contracts.
- Athletic Council, 1937-1938
(see U 147.13 President's Office)
- See also the Women's Athletic Council collection
- Athletic Council, 1956-1962 (see
U 147.5 President's Office Records)
- Athletic Council meeting minutes, 1963-1972
(see U 144.19 Planning Office Records)
- Athletic Council, 1975-1981 and Athletic Council: Women's, 1976-1981
U 147.9 President's Office Records)
- Athletic Council meeting minutes, 1979-1986
(see U 48.1 Committee Records)
- Athletic Council, 1997-2001 (see
U 184.3 University News and Publications Records)
- Athletic Council, 2008-2009 (see
U 147.50 President's Office Records)
Athletic Director's Office
U 338.1 Judy Dewbre Papers, 1956-1997: This 2 box
collection contains Southwest Conference meeting minutes, Texas Tech
Athletic Council meeting minutes, correspondence between Dirk West and
Bob Bockworth, and Southwest Conference Dissolution Documents.
It also contains information on the expansion of Texas Tech's and the
Southwest Conference's Women's Athletic Programs following the United
States Congresses Title IX legislation.
- U 408.1 Judith Henry Papers, 2009-2010 and undated: This 1 wallet collection contains two unpublished manuscripts:
The 64-page manuscript titled "History of Texas Tech Athletics" by Kristin Drabyn, 2009-2010 and the
81-page manuscript titled "The History of Women and Sports at Texas Tech University" (undated) by multiple authors.
Athletic Media Relations
Baseball, track and tennis were played at Texas Tech
beginning in 1926. Golf was begun in 1936. The university also at one time maintained a
swim team. Since 1925, the university's football team, The Red Raiders, has participated
in over 22 bowl games and produced numerous notable athletes. Texas Tech joined the Border
Conference in 1932 and became a member of the Southwest Conference in 1956. The disbanding
of the Southwest Conference in 1996 led to Tech's joining the newly formed Big 12
Conference the same year.
U 193.1 Athletic Media Relations
Office Records, 1928-1999:
This is a 21 box collection consists of
individual player files from various Texas Tech sports and contains 32,097 prints, 1,306
slides; and 855 negatives. The player files also contain news clippings, statistical
information and personal information sheets filled out by the players before they joined
U 193.2 Athletic Media Relations Photographs, 1925-2000:
This 1 box collection consists of various athletic images
including team portraits. The images include baseball, football,
golf, tennis, and track and field.
- U 193.3 Athletic Media Relations Scrapbooks, 1979-1998:
This 2 box collection consists of scrapbooks of news clippings on Texas
Tech University men’s and women’s basketball teams. Also included are
issues of the Red Raider Rampage Newsletter, dated from 1979-1993, which
were published by the Red Raider Club.
Margaret E. Wilson Papers, 1935-2007 for files pertaining to
athletic coaches, players and, in particular, women's athletics. As one
of the pioneers in Texas Tech women's athletics, Dr. Wilson worked to
obtain equal resources for women athletes.
Athletics - Publications
Texas Tech game programs are
published by the Texas Tech University Sports Information Office with the approval of the
Athletic Council of Texas Tech University. Proceeds from the sale of the programs often
went to student service Organizations such as the Saddle Tramps and Alpha Phi Omega.
- Texas Tech University Athletic Game Programs, 1925-Present: This collection
contains mostly Texas Tech game programs from various sports dating from 1925-2007, though it also includes
tournaments and bowl games. With additional programs regularly being added, the size of the collection will be
increasing in the future.
Baseball, Men's Basketball,
Women's Basketball, Football,
Golf, Softball, Swimming and Diving,
Tennis, Track, Volleyball, and Wrestling
Texas Tech media guides are
published by the Texas Tech University Sports Information Office. Media guides include
records, schedules, biographies of players and staff, and other information regarding
Texas Tech Athletics and traditions useful to the media and others interested in Texas
Texas Tech University Athletic Media
This collection contains mostly Texas Tech media guides from various
sports dating from 1925-2007, though it also includes tournaments and bowl games. With
additional programs regularly being added, the size of the collection will be increasing
in the future.
Athletics (Miscellaneous), Baseball,
Men's Basketball, Women's
Soccer, Softball, Spring Sports, Swimming and Diving,
Tennis, Track, Volleyball, Women's Sport
Big Twelve Conference
Basketball- Lady Raiders
The Lady Raiders is the women's basketball team at Texas Tech University. In March and April of 1993,
the Lady Raiders won the Southwest Conference Post Basketball Tournament and the NCAA Championship.
U 206.1 Lady Raiders Records, 1993-1994: This is a 1 box (0.5 linear feet) collection containing
news clippings from the 1993-1994 basketball season during which the Lady Raiders became NCAA champions,
and collectible player cards. The Southwest Conference cards were issued by the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
while the NCAA Championship cards were issued by the Red Raider Club.
U 206.3 Lady Raiders Records, 1982-2006: This 4 box
collection (4.0 linear feet)contains news clippings, scorebooks, and
memorabilia collected over the course of 20 plus years during the tenure
of Coach Marsha Sharp. The bulk of the collection consists of
scrapbooks that had been labeled, “Mail Outs and News Clippings.”
- See Sue Kingsbery Porter Collection -- early
Lady Raiders player
- S 194.1 Coaches All-American Game Collection, 1968-1977: This
is a 2 box collection
- S ? Cotton Bowl Records, 1989-1996: This 1 box collection has
agenda, directories, strategic planning, policy manuals and meeting reports used by a member of the
Cotton Bowl Athletic Association during the early 1990s. Some materials are media guides and newsletters.
Former Athletes and Coaches Collections
- U 309.1 Tom Abraham Papers, 1930-1985: This 1 wallet collection contains correspondence
from Coach Pete Cawthon and other TTU football coaches to players in preparation for the beginning of the 1931
football season. Also includes photocopies of articles on Abraham's career, two audio CDs labeled,
"Tom Abraham Memories," dated 1994, and an oral history concerning his family.
- U 454.1 Amanda Banks Papers, 1979-2017: This 1
box collection contains information on former track athlete Banks and
her former coach Jarvis Scott, and includes news clippings, Texas Tech
track media guides from 1979-1991 and one Impressions magazine (1985) featuring bios of various Texas Tech coaches.
Also part of the collection are 6 photographs which include Coach Scott, Veronica Cavazos, Marina Medina,
and a group portrait of the 1980-1981 team which includes Sharon Moultrie and Coach Chesbro.
- S 1472.1 Bobby Cavazos Collection, 1953-1954 [football]
- S 171.1 Pete Cawthon Reunion Records, 1930-1975 [football]
- S 1464.1 E. J. Holub Papers, 1990 [football]
- William Morley Jennings Papers, 1909-1971: This 1
microfilm collection contains newspaper clippings, photographs and programs of athletic events.
- S 1513.1 G. B. Morris Papers, 1943-1985: This 1 wallet collection includes photocopies
of game programs and news clippings concerning Texas Technological College's and Lubbock Army Air Field's
football program during the 1940s. Some of the news clippings date to 1985.
- S 1459.2 Lewis N. Jones Papers, 1934-1968 and undated: This 1 wallet collection
pertains to his career as a football player and coach.
- U 401.1 Lewis N. Jones Collection, 1936-1961 and undated: This 1 box collection
contains correspondence between Jones and Pete Cawthon, with one letter from Cawthon to Elmer Tarbox; Texas
Tech football information packets for 1950-1951; news clippings on Cawthon, undated; the Pete Cawthon Camp, 1950;
6 photographs of Jones with Gerald Myers, possibly taken before Jones' passing; and three memorabilia items -
Border Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Eligibility Rules (1936-1937), a Texas Tech Red Raiders 1937
football schedule, and a 1936 Texas Tech Red Raiders football schedule. The photographs were given to
the University Archives by Athletics. The remainder of this collection was culled out from the
James G. Allen Collection.
- S 759.1 Winfield W. Nicklaus Papers, 1927-1978 and undated:This 1 wallet
collection contains news clippings, photographs, and scrapbook material concerning Nicklaus' career
as coach and football player. It bulks (1925-1928) with news clippings and photographs from the first three
football seasons at Texas Technological College.
- S 822.2 C. W. Ratliff Papers, 1922-1971 and undated [football]
S 1006.1 Elmer Lois Tarbox Papers, 1863-1978 [football]
U 14.1 James G. Allen Records, 1925-1969: Includes correspondence with Dutchy Smith and
Lewis Jones, 1935-1940.
- U 23.25 Intramurals Records, 1960-1983: This 1 box
collection contains handbooks for men's and women's intramural
activities and various pamphlets for recreational sports at Texas Tech
Recreational Sports, Department of
Red Raider Rampage was produced by Red Raider Club.
- Red Raider Rampage newsletter, 1979-1993 -- See U 193.3 Athletic
Media Relations Scrapbooks [above]
Red Raider Sports is produced by TRI Productions and is published 8 times a
year, with August and December being double issues.
Red Raider Sports, 1980-2006:
This collection contains an incomplete run of
the Red Raider Sports magazine which was published beginning in January of
Red Raider Club
A support organization for Texas Tech University Athletics, the Red
Raider Club began in 1929 and was a self-governing body. In 1994, its Executive
Board approved the merger of the organization with the university's athletic
department. The main focus of the Red Raider Club was to raise funds for
scholarships and raise revenue for the athletic department. A student component
was established in 2001, and by April had become the largest student member
booster club in the nation.
Sports Information Office
The Sports Information Office traces its origins to
the Sports News Office in the early 1950s, and evolved to the present designation in the
late 1960s. Sports Information serves in a public relations capacity as a liaison between
the media and the athletic department. The Office maintains media records on all Tech
athletes, as well as compiles and designs media guides and game programs.
U 23.3 Sports Information
This 34 box and 1
oversize collection consists of news releases, game and individual
player statistics, newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, memorabilia, photographs, and office
generated files. Also includes information on bowl games, meets, and tournaments.
U 23.4 Sports Information
This 2 box collection contains news
releases, a Horizon Campaign pamphlet, the Public Infractions Report, schedule cards with
pictures of various Tech athletics on the front side, three scrapbooks, and women's
basketball statistics information.
U 23.6 Sports Information Ephemera, 1925-2018: This 3 box collection contains Texas Tech
University sports memorabilia items such as bumper stickers, schedule cards, ticket stubs, buttons,
TTU Hall of Honor inductees, trading cards and the history of the "Guns Up" tradition at Texas Tech.
U 23.7 Sports Information Newspapers, 1941-2006 and undated: This 1 box collection consists of various
newspapers and magazines featuring Texas Tech sports.
U 23.9 Sports Information Records, 1939-1999: This 3 box collection consists of files on the
Big 12 Conference, media guides, news releases, radio information, posters, program bids, the Red Raider Club,
schedule cards, statistics, and Tech trading cards.
U 23.14 Sports Information Records, 1960-1999 and undated: This 1 box collection contains news
releases, a brochure on the renovation of Jones Stadium, and old football tickets.
U 23.19 Sports Information Records, 1938-2009: This collection of 21 boxes, 2 oversized boxes
and 19 oversized items consists of files generated by several Athletic Departments at Texas Tech. The files
include materials on the Double T Connection, the Southwest Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for
Women (SWAIAW), Title IX, NCAA, Southwest Conference, Jeannine McHaney, Gerald Myers, Polk Robison, and
individual sport information.
U 23.20 Sports Information Audio Cassette Collection, 1983-1989: This collection consists of 263 audio cassettes from various Texas Tech
football games and bowl games.
- U 23.21 Texas Tech Hall of Honor Collection, undated: This 1 wallet collection contains printouts of biographies of TTU Hall of Honor inductees
compiled by the Athletics Department up through 2012. The biographies were originally online.
- U 23.31 Sports Information Poster Collection, 2007-2008: This 1 box collection contains 18 mounted oversized posters. One poster is of the
2007 Lady Raiders team schedule (autographed); one poster of John Montford and for the 2007 Dave Brown Award; and 16 of Texas Tech Hall of Fame
inductees - Carl Ince, Ron Reeves (autographed), Rob Junell (autographed), A. J. "Jake" Boyles (autographed), Jason Sasser (autographed),
James Gray (autographed), Don King (autographed), Jill Burness Stowe (autographed), Jerry Johnson (autographed), Jeff Taylor (autographed), Robert Hall,
Robert McKinney, Mark Brandenburg, Alicia Thompson, Joe Dillon, and Jim Carlen.
The Southwest Conference was formed on May 6, 1914, when representatives from
Baylor University, Southwestern University, Texas A&M College, Oklahoma A&M
(Oklahoma State), Louisiana State University, University of Texas, and the
University of Arkansas met to discuss the future of regional sports among the
local schools. Later, other universities came aboard, including Texas Tech,
which joined in 1956. The Southwest Conference disbanded in 1996. Texas
Tech University went on to join the University of Texas, Texas A&M University,
and Baylor University to create the Big Twelve.
S 1254.1 Southwest
This 333 box collection contains the the day-to-day business records and
includes correspondence, memoranda, financial material, printed
material, and memorabilia.
Microfilm, 1914-1962: 10 reels covering conference history,
minutes, scholarship information and statistics.
History Interviews: 13 interviews done following the disbanding
of the Southwest Conference
Oversized: 538 oversized items
Photographs: 12 linear feet of photographic materials. Pictured
from TTU include Michi Atkins, Dr. Lauro Cavazos, Ron Damron, Dick
Davis, James Dickey, Spike Dykes, Chris Fehrle-Zelaya, Kim Gosselin,
King Hodson, Mike Jones, T. Jones, Rochelle Kaaio, Dr. Robert Lawless,
T. L. Leach, Jeanne McHaney, Taylor McNeal, Jeff Mitchell, Dr. Grover E.
Murray, Connie Robinson, Erica Rueff, Lisa Seifert, Marsha Sharp, Tim
Siefel, Kristen Sparks, Bob Sweazy, and Kathy Vick, Alfred B. White, Dr.
Jack K. Williams, and Tommy Wilson, as well as various trophies and
- Southwest Conference, 1946-1956(see
S 499.1 Clifford B. Jones Papers)
- Southwest Conference news clippings, 1955-1963 and Southwest Conference Basketball Investigation, 1962
U 163.1 Scrapbooks)
- Southwest Conference, 1968 (See
U 2.1 Vice-President for Academic Affairs Records)
- Southwest Athletic Conference, 1974-1984
(see U 2.2 Vice-President for Academic Affairs)
Southwest Conference Record Books - the following are small, bound
books which include all the teams of the SWC. These items have been
- Southwest Conference Football Records, 1967
- Southwest Conference Basketball Records, 1966-1972
- Southwest Conference Football and Basketball Records, 1958-1959,
- Southwest Conference Football and Basketball Records, 1964-1966
- Southwest Conference Football and Basketball Records, 1961-1962,
- Southwest Conference Football and Basketball Records, 1955-1956,
- Southwest Conference Football Records, 1950-1954
- Football '73 Southwest Conference Roster and Record Book, 1973
- U 293.1 James A. "Bo" Grimshaw, Jr., Memorabilia, 1958-1961:
This 1 box collection consists of newspaper clippings, planning notes for
the annual Dolphin Aquatic Water shows and show programs from 1958-1960, a
37th Annual National Collegiate Swimming Championships program from 1960,
a Dolphin Fraternity Pledge Paddle which has been signed by all the pledge
members on the back (1958), and four color prints of former Tech swim team
members of their wives taken from the Fall 2005 Letterman's Club meeting.
Oversized items include a
Texas Tech Dolphin shirt (dated 1958), an
oversized poster, and a memo regarding an upcoming show (1961).
U 301.1 James McNally Records, 1950-2005: This 9 box collection consists of administrative files compiled by Texas
Tech's first two swim team coaches, Ray Kireilis and James McNally. Included are meet results, swim schedules,
recruitment files, correspondence, news clippings, and some photographs.
- See also the Women's Athletic Council collection regarding the Women's Swim Team
University Interscholastic League
U 272.1 University Interscholastic League Records, 1974-2002: This 6 box (7.0 linear feet)
collection contains various agendas, reports, event results, handbooks, regional information, activities
conference data, and University Interscholastic League awards. The videotape and newspapers also pertain to
UIL activities and personnel.
U 272.2 University Interscholastic League Records, 1994-2007: This 2 box collection contains various
agendas, event results, handbooks, regional information, activities and conference data, on academic and athletic
UIL events. Included in the collection are 2 paperweights, the Leaguer newspaper, and 13 prints.
- University Interscholastic League, 1990-1992 (see
U 207.1 Provost's Office Records)
- University Interscholastic League, 1992-1993 (see
U 207.2 Provost's Office Records)
- Interscholastic League, 1957-1965 and
University Interscholastic League (UIL), 1962-1964 (see
U 148.3 Public Information Records)
- University Interscholastic League, 1981-1984
(see U 2.2 Vice-President for Academic Affairs)
- Interscholastic League, 1986-1992
U 184.3 University News and Publication Records)
- University Interscholastic League, 1994
(see U 147.43 President's Office Records)
- University Interscholastic League, 1997-1999
(see U 147.44 President's Office Records)
U 339.1 Volleyball Collection, 1974-2002: This 9 box (9.0 linear feet) collection contains trophies and various
documents pertaining to Texas Tech women's volleyball teams, including scrapbooks of the women's volleyball, golf and tennis teams. The bulk of
the collection is volleyball game videos.
Women's Athletic Council
The charge for the Women's Athletic Council was to act as an advisory body that would review and make recommendations to the President's Office on
matters pertaining to the Women's Intercollegiate Program at Texas Tech. It consisted of nine appointed members.
- U 380.1 Women's Athletic Council Records, 1972-1984: This 1 box collection consists of memorandums and meeting minutes of the
Women's Athletic Council. It includes the council's charge and handbook, handwritten notes, reports on funding for the men's and women's athletic
programs, information on an ad hoc committee considering the merger of the men and women's athletic programs, and the proposal for inclusion of
the Softball Sport Club as an intercollegiate athletic sport at Texas Tech (1977).
- Women's Athletic Council, 1974-1980 (See
U 144.19 Planning Office Records)
1591.1 Jeannine McHaney Papers, 1968-1999 and undated:
This 7 box collection contains files generated by McHaney while she served
as director of the women’s athletics program at Texas Tech University.
The files include materials on the Double T Connection, the Southwest
Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (SWAIAW), and other
S 334.1 Margaret Wilson Papers, 1935-2007: This 19 box collection contains her office files, which includes various
agendas, event results, handbooks, memorabilia, athletes and coaches files, regional information, activities and
conference data on academic and athletic UIL events.
- See U 23.6 Sports Information for women's athletics newsletters - Red Raider Fan-Fare Newsletter,
1983-1984; Red Raider Links Newsletter, 1993-1994; and Texas Tech Women's Sports News Newsletter, undated.
- See U 193.3 Athletic Media Relations Scrapbooks for the Red Raider Rampage
- Women's Athletics, 1970-1978
U 184.3 University News and Publications)
- Women's Athletics, 1973-1982 (See
U 144.19 Planning Office Records)
- Women's Athletics, 1977-1978 (see
U 432.1 Recreational Sports Records)
- Women's Athletics, 1982-1984 (see
U 170.1 Lauro F. Cavazos Papers)
Scrapbooks and Memorabilia
- U 319.1 A. J. "Jake" Broyles, 1947-1993: This one scrapbook
collection consists of news clippings, photographs, certificates,
letters and miscellaneous memorabilia dealing with Broyles's time on the
Texas Tech Tennis team and Thomas Tinkers Basketball team. Broyles was
the first tennis inductee into the TTU Hall of Honor.
U 299.1 Gene Carpenter Papers, 1953-1993 [Men's
- U 331.1 Lawrence "Shorty" France Collection, 1925-2008: This
1 wallet collection consists of loose papers and a bound collection of
materials on the athletic career of Mr. France that was put together by
his family for his induction into the Sulphur Springs High School Hall
of Honor in 2008. France played football at Texas Tech from
1930-1931. The collection also includes a letterman's sweater worn by
- S 758.1 Murray D. Nichols Papers, 1931-1932 and undated: This scrapbook
deals with the 1931 and 1932 Texas Tech football teams.
U 147.42 President's Office: Scrapbook
of David Edward Olsen,
1965-1966 [Men's Basketball]
U 300.1 Jim Reed Papers, 1948-1956 [Men's
- S 1666.1 Polk Robinson Papers, 1956-1961: This scrapbook
clippings concerning Texas Tech’s basketball coach Polk Robison, mostly
from the year 1961.
- U 23.20 Polk Robinson Collection, 2007: This 1 wallet
collection consists of letters written by former TTU players on former
coach Polk Robinson which were presented in a scrapbook to Robinson at
the Polk Robinson Reunion on February 23-24, 2007. The items in this
collection are photocopies donated by Professor Walter Huffman. Coach
Robinson has the originals.
- U 336.1 Sue Kingsbery Porter Collection,
1971-2006: This 1 box collection covers Porter's time with the
Lady Raiders Basketball team. She was one of the first to play on the
team. Included are a 5 page history of the team written by Porter,
tournament information and schedules, a roster of former early Lady
Raiders, a scrapbook that dates from 1971-2006, and photographs [15
prints, 25 negatives, and 23 slides].
- U328.1 Mike Simpson Scrapbook, 1961-1964 and undated:
This scrapbook is filled with Texas Tech pictures, news clippings,
autographs on slips of paper and napkins, and old Tech game tickets.
Most of the photographs and loose paper autographs are of former Texas
Tech athletes. Included signatures are from Donny Anderson, David Parks,
E. J. Holub, Harold Hugdins, Dub Malaise, Billy Tapp, Russ Wilkinson,
Harold Denney, Bob Measels, Norman Reuther, Jimmy Fullerton, Glen Hallum,
coach Gene Gibson, Del Ray Mounts, Rodney Teague, and Texas A&M Olympic
Shot Put Star Randy Matson.
298.1 Ned Underwood Papers, 1954-2004 [Men's
Ransom Walker Papers, 1925-1961 [Football, Men's
- S 1500.1 Dwayne Frank West Collection, 1953-1955: This is a
scrapbook full of news clippings of West's collegiate football days
playing for Texas Technological College in the mid 1950s. It includes
clippings of Texas Tech’s trip to the Gator Bowl in 1954.
- S 1219.1 Floyd Alpheaus Woolridge Papers, 1925-1966: Includes
early photos of Texas Technological College and its football team.
- U 312.1 Greg H. Westmoreland Collection, 1993-1996:
This 1 box collection consists of athletic t-shirts - a) Lubbock A-J Extra! "A Slice of Heaven" Lady Raiders
win of the NCAA title; b) Southwest Conference 1996 (2 items, 1 is more
yellowed); c) Dr. Pepper Southwest Conference Classic; d) Lady Raiders
Final Four National Champs; e) Hoopa Dallas SWC Women's Basketball
Post-Season Classic XI; f) Road to the NCAA Women's Final Four 1993; g)
Celebrating SWC Excellence Southwest Conference Post-Season Tournament
1996; and h) NCAA Women's Final Four Atlanta 1993.
- O17.5 - Scrapbook of the Red Raiders vs. St. Mary’s Gaels, Cotton
Bowl, January 2, 1939 [Includes the Cotton Bowl of 1994]
- See the oversized list for
athletics related materials such as posters and newspapers
- Artifacts List
Sport Posters and Oversized Items
- Gene Barnett Collection, 1939 and undated: This collection
contains TTU artifacts and encapsulated news clippings concerning the
Cotton Bowl. Included is a small Texas Tech trophy to Barnett for
the 1939 Cotton Bowl participation; a dark yellow sweater with the no.
84 on front and back; a red & black football jersey, pants, and shank
coverings that were worn like socks during the 1939 football season.
- Henry Moseley Collection, undated: This collection
contains a red long sleeve wool sweater with a Double T on the front. It
was worn by Moseley while a football player at Tech in the late 1930s.
- U 285.1 Pat Thurman Memorabilia, 1949-195 0: This is 1 item collection consists of a
cream colored satin baseball jacket with 2 ˝” wide red satin stripes down the shoulders to wrist, outlined
in black satin piping. The donor was a cheerleader at Texas Technological College from 1949-1950. He wore
the jacket during the days he served in that capacity.
- U 287.1 Pam Fox Memorabilia, 1972: This 1 item
collection consists of a white and black knit jacket with piping down left
side with a black Double T emblem outlined in white stitching. The
donor was a basketball player for the Texas Tech Red Raiders, a precursor
to the Lady Raiders team. The jacket was worn by the donor when she played on the team.
- U 306.2 David Hougland Collection, 1995-1999 and undated: This 2 box collection
contains various TTU athletic memorabilia including autographed items [football, baseball and helmet], buttons,
stickers, signs, and t-shirts. Three items from his father's collection
(Donald Hougland) have been placed in this collection due to size.
- U 323.1 Pat Marx Collection, 1993 and undated: This three item collection
consists of a Lady Raiders t-shirt and button for the 1992-1993 Final Four tournament and an illustrated
"character map" of Lubbock that includes business and structures.
IV. Film and Videos
At last count, the University Archives
holds over 6,000 TTU sports videos/reels recordings.
- Short online video clip of EJ Holub in the TTU
versus Texas A&M game in Dallas, Texas, on September 20, 1958. Courtesy of the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library.
- U 23.15 Sports Information Recording Collection, 1957-2003
consists of 627 recordings of various Tech sports related events.
- U 23.16 Sports Information Recording Collection, 1960-2004
consists of 664 recordings of various Tech sports related events.
- U 23.17 Sports Information Recording Collection, 2000-2009
consists of 954 Tech football recordings.
- U 23.18 Sports Information Recording Collection, 1957-2012
consists of 1,010 video recordings for Texas Tech football, baseball, basketball, softball and volleyball.
U 206.3 Lady Raiders Videos, 1982-2005 and undated: consists
of 674 recordings, mostly of game footage, though there are numerous videos on Coach Marsha
- U 406.1 Charlie Adams Film Collection, 1964-1965: This collection consists of 4 basketball reel films:
Texas Tech versus Rice (3/3/64), Texas Tech versus SMU reel #4 (2/22/64), Texas Tech versus Arkansas (1965), and Texas Tech versus Oklahoma reel #3 (12/14/65).
All four reels were transferred to the A/V unit.
U 306.1 Donald R. Hougland Video Collection, 1957-2008: This 41
box collection consists of 1,069 video recordings and 93 DVDs on various Texas Tech
University sports, including football, men and women's basketball,
softball, golf and baseball footage. Also included is a bio and
photographs of Mr. Hougland and others in the sports field.
- See also
U 185.8 University News and Publications Records, 1962-2003
[some football and basketball footage]
U 339.1 Volleyball Videos, 1974-2008: consists of 235 recordings.
V. Oral History Interviews with TTU Alumni
There are many other athletic related
oral histories but the ones listed below refer specifically to TTU sports and
personalities. The dates in parenthesis refer to the date(s)
of the interview.
- 1938 Football Club Cotton Bowl Reunion (1965)
- Pete Cawthon Reunion- Football (1975)
- Players' memories on Pete Cawthon- Football - Elmer Tarbox, L. J. "Left" Sollis, Leonard "Bear"
Curfman, and Raymond "Whacker" Barton (1976)
- Tom Abraham (2006) -
talks about Pete Cawthon
- Agan, John - football (1973)
- Aiken, Dudley - football (undated)
- Allison, Rodney G. - Athletic Director (2016)
- Amonette, Thayne "Red"
- football (1975)
- Atkins, Micah - Lady Raiders Basketball (2004).
- Ayers, Ross - football (1970)
- Banks, Amanda Lee - track (2016)
- Brady, B. A. - football (1980)
- Brothers, J. O. "Buddy" -
football (1972) and football (1975)
- Brown, William Wallace
- football coach (1978)
- Burgess, Hurbert
- athletic recollections (1999)
- Callaway, P. C.
- football (1968)
- Carpenter, Gene
- basketball (2004)
- Cavazos, Bobby
- football (1998)
- Cawthon, Pete -
Kelly Cawthon's recollections (1975),
Pete Jr.'s recollections(undated),
Velma Lyman's recollections
(sister of Cawthon, 1975), Kelly
Cawthon's recollections (2007), Zella Huffman's
recollections (1975), and
friend- Paul "Coach" Burman (1975)
- Cheek, Harris "Preacher" -
- Conley, John F., Jr. - athletic director (2001)
- Curfman, Leonard "Bear"- football (1975)
- Davis, Dr. J. William- Athletic Council and football (undated),
Texas Tech Days (1957),
Southwest Conference Entry
(1968), and Athletic Council (1974)
- Dimmick,Vince - fencing (2004)
- Dudley, Aiken - football (undated)
- Duncan, Bob - football (1975)
- Durgan, Bob - football (1975)
- Dykes, Spike- football (1998) - this interview is part of the Southwest
Athletic Conference collection
- Freeland, Gus -
track and golf (undated)
- Gerlich, Krista Kirkland -
Lady Raiders basketball (2003)
- Gilmore, Wilson A. - football (1975)
- Hadnot, James Weldon - football (2005)
- Hays, Larry- Baseball coach (2015)
- Heath, Nikki (Nicole Monique) -
Lady Raiders basketball (2005)
- Henry, Judith - former Dean of Students,
talks about women's athletics at Texas Tech (2016)
- Hess, Wallace -
physician to athletes (2004)
- Hill, Damon H. -
football (1969 and 1975)
- William Curry
Holden - faculty (tape 1, 10/4/76) - talks about football and the first football game in 1925
- William Curry Holden
- faculty (tape 1, 5/25/82) - giving Bobby Cavazos St. Christopher medal
- Holub, E. J. - football
(1971) and football (1999)
- Huffman, Berl -
football coach (1971, 1972, 1975 and 1979)
- Irons, Ed - football (1971 and 1975)
- Jackson, Leete - football (1975 and 1977)
- Jennings, Morley - athletic director (1972)
- Johnson, Noel- Lady Raider basketball (1993 Reunion)
- Jones, Lew - football (1975)
- Jones, Lewis N. - football (1977 and 1978)
- Jones, T. L. -
Athletic Council, Southwest Athletic Conference (1973, 1997)
- Jones, T. L. - Southwest Conference (1997)
- Kerbel, Joe - football coach (1972)
- Kersey, Diana -
Lady Raiders basketball (2003)
- King, John T. -
football coach (undated and 1974)
- Kinghorn, Cynthia Clinger -
Lady Raiders basketball (2003)
- Kirkpatrick, Jack -
- Kirkpatrick, Zoe Merriman - fencing
- Bob Knight - Men's basketball (2004)
- Langford, Mrs. George -
women's physical education (1973)
- Leach, T. L. -
Council (1973 and 1997) and football (1997)
- LeMasters, Cy -
- Maxwell, Peggy -
Southwest Conference Women's Basketball Tournament Board of Directors (1997)
- McElroy, D. M. -
- McNally, James - swimming (2005)
- McWilliams, David - football (1998) - this interview is part
of the Southwest Athletic Conference collection
- McWilliams, Perry -
football (1970, 1971, and 1975)
- Merriman, Ihal -
Cotton Bowl and Director of the Southwest Conference representing Texas Tech (1998)
- Moore, Elmer - football (1981)
- Morris, Jeff - swim team (1998)
- Murren, William "Bill" E. -
- Myers, Gerald - basketball (2001)
- Nicklaus, Winfield -
football (undated) and
- Oglesby, Gerald "Corky" -
recruiter for TTU men's basketball and later head coach of the track teams (2016)
- Perry, Wanda- fencing (2004)
- Philbreck, George -
football and tennis (undated)
- Porter, Sue Kingsbery -
Lady Raiders basketball (2009)
- Pruitt, Kim -
Lady Raiders basketball (2003)
- Reed, Jimmy Warren - ? (2004)
- Reuther, Norman -
- Ritchie, Natalie -
Lady Raiders Basketball (2003)
- Robinson, Polk -
Tech Days (1956) and basketball coach and athletic director (1979)
- Roselius, Dale - football; joint video interview with Jerry Elbert, Bob Stafford, Charles Dixon and Ronnie Rice (2015)
- Ross, Johnny - baseball (2010)
- Sharp, Marsha- Lady Raiders head basketball coach (2016)
- Snead, Chris- baseball, Tech Hecklers, and the Texas Tech Alumni Association (2015)
- Sollis, L. "Lefty" J. -
- Springer, Burl -
Cotton Bowl game of 1939, Pete Cawthon remembered (1975)
- Stangle, W. L. -
Athletic Committee (1965, 1973 and 1975)
- Steadman, Natalie Denise - Lady Raiders Basketball (2003)
- Swoopes, Sheryl - Lady Raider Basketball (1993 Reunion)
- Tankard, William -
- Tarbox, Elmer -
football (1973) and
athletic recollections (undated)
- Thomas, Michelle- Lady Raiders Basketball (1993 Reunion)
- Dimmick, Vince - fencing (2004)
- Weaver, DeWitt -
Texas Tech Days (1955) and
football coach (1971)
- Weaver, Fred -
football coach (1971)
- Weese, Linden Earl -
Lady Raiders basketball (2005)
- Wiggins, Dossie Marion - football (1973)
- White, Melinda White -
Lady Raiders basketball (2003)
Back to the Texas Tech University Archives