Texas Tech University Archives
Below are various historical tidbits pertaining to the construction, renovation and maintenance of Texas Tech buildings and structures. The entries are arranged chronologically, and are not inclusive but rather main highlights.

All buildings are listed alphabetically by first name.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Campus Buildings & Structures - A


Administration Building

  • Plan approved, bids to called for (BOR meeting minutes, 3-28-24)
  • Plans approved (BOR meeting minutes, 6-27-24)
  • Bids tabulated (BOR meeting minutes, 6-27-24)
  • Ramey Brothers to be contractors (BOR meeting minutes, 6-27-24)
  • Heating contract to Korioth Plumbing & Heating Co. (BOR meeting minutes, 6-27-24)
  • Plumbing contract with L. Holt (BOR meeting minutes, 6-27-24)
  • Wiring contract with Schroder Electric Co. (BOR meeting minutes, 6-27-24)
  • Contract with Ramey Brothers for construction (BOR meeting minutes, 6-27-24)
  • Lueder stone to be used for exterior stone work (BOR meeting minutes, 6-27-24)
  • Location to be selected (BOR meeting minutes, 6-28-24)
  • Contract awarded for face brick (BOR meeting minutes, 6-28-24)
  • Independent Electric Co. given electrical contract (BOR meeting minutes, 7-29-24)
  • Two rooms in R. I. Wilson Building to be used until the Administration Building is available (BOR meeting minutes, 8-27-24)
  • Plaques (BOR meeting minutes, 8-27-24)
  • Inscriptions (BOR meeting minutes, 8-27-24)
  • Laying of cornerstone (BOR meeting minutes, 8-27-24)
  • Names to go on cornerstone (BOR meeting minutes, 8-30-24)
  • Governor Neff to be speaker at laying of cornerstone (BOR meeting minutes, 8-30-24)
  • Meeting regarding the laying of the cornerstone (BOR meeting minutes, 10-2-24)
  • Invitations to cornerstone laying (BOR meeting minutes, 10-2-24)
  • The laying of the cornerstone took place on November 11, 1924, before a crowd of 20,000 people. Governor Pat Neff, standing on a cotton bale, addressed the crowd. Other speakers included Amon G. Carter, Reverend E. E. Robinson, Colonel E. O. Thompson, and Representative R. M. Chitwood.
  • Names to be inscribed in rear court (BOR meeting minutes, 1-6-25)
  • Placed in the corner stone was a time capsule containing such items as the bylaws and member roster of the local Masonic Lodge, various newspapers, a certified copy of the Senate Bill which established the college, and a list of the Texas Tech Board of Directors.
  • On the north side of the building is an inscription of a King Solomon quotation- "Righteousness exalteth a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people."
  • On the north side are the words "agriculture, science, manufacturing, democracy, homemaking, art and literature," which describe the endeavors of the college.
  • On the archway of the north side are the words "patriotism, religion, industry, virtue, wealth, enlightenment, and citizenship," which represent the goals students should strive towards.
  • On the archway on the south side are the names of 15 people who were thought to embody the ideals of the school officials. The names include Benjamin Franklin, Luther Burbank, St. Paul, Pestalozzi, Plato, Aristotle, Homer, Shakespeare, Hippocrates, Beethoven, and Michaelangelo.
  • The Gallery of Heroes, located on the second floor of the north side, depict images of Christopher Columbus, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Robert E. Lee, Woodrow Wilson, James Hogg, Albert Sidney Johnston, Davy Crockett, Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston.
  • Matter of electric light fixtures (BOR meeting minutes, 1-6-25)
  • Extra approved for chemical laboratory (BOR meeting minutes, 4-14-25)
  • Delay in completion (BOR meeting minutes, 4-14-25)
  • Room could be made in basement for bookstore (BOR meeting minutes, 7-20-25)
  • To secure legal advice on delay in completion of building (BOR meeting minutes, 7-20-25)
  • Matter of electric light fixtures (BOR meeting minutes, 7-20-25)
  • Building ready for acceptance (BOR meeting minutes, 7-20-25)
  • Building to be completed by (BOR meeting minutes, 8-15-25)
  • Building tentatively accepted (BOR meeting minutes, 8-15-25)
  • Two sump drains (BOR meeting minutes, 8-15-25)
  • Lincoln medallion (BOR meeting minutes, 8-15-25)
  • Preliminary drawings for completion (BOR meeting minutes, 2-24-26)
  • Electric wiring estimate of Independent Electric Co. (BOR meeting minutes, 1-28-27)
  • Legislative representatives to ask that one wing of building be included in recommendations (BOR meeting minutes, 4-18-27)
  • Storm doors needed at entrances of the two wings (BOR meeting minutes, 1-28-30)
  • Approve two additional wings be added (BOR meeting minutes, 5/9-5/10/49)
  • Contract with Wyatt C. Hedrick concerning two additional wings (BOR meeting minutes, 5/30/49)
  • Approved revisions to two wings at an additional cost of $1,770 (BOR meeting minutes, 10/15/49)
  • Additions to the Administration Building, #3072 (BOR meeting minutes, 8-12-50)
  • Approve construction contract with Hedrick concerning additions (BOR meeting minutes, 6/11/49)
  • Awarded contract for additions with W. G. McMillan (BOR meeting minutes, 9/24/49)
  • Changed architect's plan to include full basements in each wing (BOR meeting minutes, 9/24/49)
  • Approve contract for expansion of basement (BOR meeting minutes, #723 12-14-57)
  • In 1975, the ornamental spire on the west tower was replaced after being hit by lightening.

Agricultural Building

  • Sketches to be prepared (BOR meeting minutes, 6-27-24)
  • Contract let for building (BOR meeting minutes, 8-8-27)
  • Building ready for acceptance (BOR meeting minutes, 10-28-27)
  • Building accepted with reservation (BOR meeting minutes, 10-28-27)
  • Radiation in building (BOR meeting minutes, 1-24-28)
  • Temporary building to be constructed (BOR meeting minutes, 6-8-36)
  • Recommendations to Legislature for appropriation for building (BOR meeting minutes, 8-25-38)
  • Appropriation for a shack building (BOR meeting minutes, 7-22-39)
  • W. C. Hedrick selected as architect on Agricultural Building, 6-2-41)
  • Bids opened and tabulated (BOR meeting minutes, 10-4-41)
  • Contract awared to Ingle & Sikes of Lubbock (BOR meeting minutes, 10-4-41)
  • Authorized issuance of $60,000 bonds, proceeds from sale to erect Dairy Manufacturing wing (BOR meeting minutes, 11-15-41)
  • Proceeds with negotiations with finance companies regarding sale of $60,000 bonds (BOR meeting minutes, 11-15-41)
  • Auditorium to be named "Aggie Memorial Auditorium," (BOR meeting minutes, 5-1-46)
  • Appropriation to match amount collected by Aggie Club to buy seats for Aggie Auditorium (BOR meeting minutes, 1-16-47)
  • Appropriation for remodeling in the old Ag. Building (BOR meeting minutes, 9-27-47 #16)
  • Remodeling of old Ag. Building for Speech Department (BOR meeting minutes, 2-14-48

Agricultural Machinery Building

  • Low bids not to exceed $1000 to be accepted for building (BOR meeting minutes, 11-9-34)
Agricultural Plant Sciences Building
  • Campus Planning Committee recommended project be approved, preliminary plans and specifications, and location and architects (BOR meeting minutes, #1952(1-4), 6-1-59)
  • Board approved recommendations of Campus Planning Committee (BOR meeting minutes, #1953, 6-1-59)
  • Preliminary plans approved (BOR meeting minutes, #397, 10-10-59)
  • Final plans approved (BOR meeting minutes, #738, 12-12-59)
  • Location approved (BOR meeting minutes, #775, 12-12-59)
  • Contract awarded to W. B. Abbott and Company, Inc. (BOR meeting minutes, #1101, 2-13-60)
  • Plans for Millwork (BOR meeting minutes, #1625, 4-9-60)
  • Relocation of millhouse (BOR meeting minutes, #1626, 4-9-60)
  • Relocation of scales and storage bins (BOR meeting minutes, #1628, 4-9-60)
  • October 21, 1961 - the building dedication was held in the lobby and included a tour and exhibits. The $380,000 building was 26,725 square feet. (Public Information press release, 10-18-61)

Agronomy and Domestic Science Building

  • Proceed with specifications and secure bids (BOR meeting minutes, 8-27-24)
  • Domestic science building to face East (BOR meeting minutes, 8-27-24)

Animal Husbandry

  • Appropriate funds to build barn for Animal Husbandry Department (BOR meeting minutes, 11-9-34)
  • Need for meats building (BOR meeting minutes, 9-26-36)
  • Appropriation made for small building to be used for class work in bee culture (BOR meeting minutes, 9-26-36)
  • Addition to Meats Laboratory (BOR meeting minutes, 2-14-47)
  • Contract for Beef Cattle Barn (BOR meeting minutes, 8-14-48)

Apartment Dormitory Housing Project

  • Married veterans presented housing project (BOR meeting minutes, 8-10-46)
  • Committee met on 8-15-46, to send delegation to Austin regarding housing for veterans (BOR meeting minutes, 8-10-46)
  • Report regarding erection of apartment units for married veterans (BOR meeting minutes, 8-31-46)
  • Application to be made to Federal Works Agency for funds to building apartment dormitory (BOR meeting minutes, 8-31-46)
  • Definite action on apartment dormitory housing project deferred (BOR meeting minutes, 10-19-46)
  • Discussion of problem, deferred until next meeting (BOR meeting minutes, 4-12-47)

Army Reserve Training Center [originally referred to as "the Armory"]

  • Referred to Local Affairs Committee(BOR meeting minutes, 1-24-28)
  • Appropriations for an armory(BOR meeting minutes, 1-22-29 #14)
  • Proposition of building an Armory present to Board of Directors(BOR meeting minutes, p. 3 from 1-28-30)
  • State to rent buildings for National Guard units(BOR meeting minutes, 10-25-30 #6)
  • Question of quarters for National Guard (BOR meeting minutes, 6-8-31 #13)
  • Armory Building erected by private funds(BOR meeting minutes, 10-13-31 #5(c))
  • Location of armories for Navy and Army for civil aeronautics station (BOR meeting minutes, 4-12-47)
  • George E. Benson was appointed to represent the Board of Directors at the February 22, 1956, ground breaking ceremony for the Army Reserve Training Center, which would be located at the northwest corner of the City Auditorium-Coliseum. The land was leased to the Texas National Guard Armory Board. (BOR meeting minutes, 2-11-56 #736

Architecture and Art Facilities

  • November 5, 1968 - the general construction contract for $4,260,718 was awarded to H. A. Lott, Inc. for two buildings - the architecture building would be 12 stories tall with a "U" shaped, three story tall art building adjacent to it on the east side.

Assembly Hall

  • Question of insurance on Assembly Hall (BOR meeting minutes, 1-28-27)
  • Final payment on construction of same (BOR meeting minutes, 1-28-27)
  • Installation of steam radiation (BOR meeting minutes, 4-18-27)

Athletic Field

  • Investigate purchasing a scoreboard (BOR meeting minutes, 5-8-48)
  • Gift funds from the Class of 1943 were later used to help purchase a scoreboard for the athletic field (BOR meeting minutes, 8/14/48)

Campus Buildings & Structures - B


Biology

  • The groundbreaking was held on June 29, 1967 at 10:30 a.m.

Bledsoe/Gordon Hall [Residence Hall]

  • Built in 1948, the dormitory cost an estimated $1,786,163 to build.

Boarding Houses

  • List of boarding houses for students (BOR meeting minutes, 2-4-26)
  • Person employed to inspect houses and seek employment for students (BOR meeting minutes, 4-12-26)
  • Regulations for boarding houses set up (BOR meeting minutes, 4-12-26)

Bonfire Pit

  • Approve insignia for one panel of bonfire pit (BOR meeting minutes, 9-28-57 #371)
  • Approve "Red Raider on the Horse" for use in bonfire (BOR meeting minutes, 9-28-57 #371)

Bookstore

  • Idea of maintaining a general store for students (BOR meeting minutes, 10-31-23)
  • Room could be made in the basement of the Administration Building for bookstore (BOR meeting minutes, 7-20-25)
  • Bookstore profits to be used to equip the Cafeteria Building for use of bookstore (BOR meeting minutes, 5-26-30 p. 8)
  • Bookstore operated on successful basis (BOR meeting minutes, 1-27-31 #9)
  • Insurance on building (BOR meeting minutes, 12-6-40)
  • Contract for addition to bookstore, 2-14-48
  • Built in 1955, the Building Committee recommended proceeding with plans to enlarge the bookstore by approximately 8,000 square feet at an estimated cost of $100,000 (BOR meeting minutes, BOR 2/11/56 #733)
  • Contract for architectural services concerning the bookstore (BOR meeting minutes, 5-28-56 #1296)
  • Approve contract for remodeling interior of bookstore (BOR meeting minutes, 12-14-57 #728)
  • Approve contract for remodeling interior of bookstore (BOR meeting minutes, 12-14-57 #728)
  • Approve plans for remodeling interior of bookstore (BOR meeting minutes, 2-15-58 #1045)
  • Approve purchase of barracks building (BOR meeting minutes, 2-15-58 #1046)

Business Administration

  • Prior to 1966, the old horse barns and corrals once inhabited the site of what later became the Business Administration building. (Information Services, 3-12-13-66)
  • Dedication ceremonies for the new $4.5 million BA facility, located at 15th and Flint, was held on October 6, 1969, in the auditorium. A symposium and open house event were also held as part of the building dedication.
  • The new, state of the art Rawls College of Business Building officially opened for classes in January, 2012.

Campus Buildings & Structures - C


Cafeteria

  • Need for cafeteria, 1-6-25
  • Plans to be prepared for Cafeteria, 4-14-25
  • Plans and specifications to be prepared, 5-8-25
  • Cafeteria to be in part of the Home Economics Building, 6-26-25
  • Contract let to lowest bidders, 7-20-25
  • Feeder installed, 7-20-25
  • Dished etc. selected, 7-20-25
  • Withholding payment to Ramey Brothers, 10-27-25
  • Expenses of cafeteria, 2-4-26
  • Cafeteria closed may 1, 1926, 4-12-26
  • Remodeling of cafeteria, 10-30-26
  • Market prices to be followed, 1-22-29
  • To be discontinued, 1-28-20 p. 2
  • Social Center to be made into Inst. Mgt. Lab. and Cafeteria, 5-1-46
  • Authorized operation of Cafeteria through June, 4-12-47
  • Operation of cafeteria for next year to be considered, 6-2-47
  • Contract for operation of cafeteria, 7-26-47

Carpenter/Wells Halls [Residence Hall]

  • Built in 1959, the dormitory cost an estimated $2,604,351 to build.

Casa Linda [originally referred to as the "Cooperative Dormitories"]

  • Gifts in connection with building of cottages without cost to College (BOR meeting minutes, 6-8-36)
  • Application of $14,999 on erection of cottages for housing students on campus (BOR meeting minutes, 7-14-37)
  • O. R. Walker chosen as architect for work of cottage (BOR meeting minutes, 7-14-37)
  • Matters pertaining thereto left of Building Committee (BOR meeting minutes, 7-14-37)
  • Location of cooperative dormitory left of Building Committee (BOR meeting minutes, 9-4-37)
  • Cooperative dormitory named "Casa Linda," (BOR meeting minutes, 8-25-38)
  • To encourage erection of cooperative dormitories on campus (BOR meeting minutes, 5-29-39)

Chemical Engineering and Nuclear Reactor Building

  • Approved employment of Associated Architects and Engineers, #1025, 2-14-59
  • Contract with Architects Incorporated in the minutes, #1180, 3024059
  • Review laboratory space allocated, #1421, 4-11-59
  • Board authorized preparation of final plans and specifications, #1954, 6-1-59
  • Preparation of "Hazards Summary Report," #212, 10-10-59
  • Plans approved for Chemical Engineering and Nuclear Reactor Building, #521, 11-13-59
  • Restudy of Chemical Engineering and Nuclear Reactor Building, #1101A, 2-13-60
  • Nuclear Reactor building to be delayed, #2227, 5-30-60
  • Bids for Chemical Engineering and Nuclear Reactor Building, #1629, 4-9-60

Chemistry Building

  • Plans approved for building (BOR meeting minutes, 1-24-28)
  • Contract to be let if bid within appropriation (BOR meeting minutes, 1-24-28)
  • Contacts let (BOR meeting minutes, 5-28-28)
  • College to occupy portions of building, 10-23-28
  • Basement to be plastered (BOR meeting minutes, 1-22-29)
  • Construction on the Chemistry Building began in 1929.
  • Settlement with D. N. Leaverton (BOR meeting minutes, 4-16-29)
  • Groundbreaking ceremonies for the $5.5 million addition to the chemistry building were held on October 25, 1968. The new structure comprised of 125,600 square feet and included an auditorium that seated 300.

Cheri Casa [Residence Hall]

  • Cheri Casa, a men's dormitory, officially opened in 1926 with a Spanish-themed party, replete with music by Chuck Collins and his Cheri-Casans.
  • The building was a Spanish style white stucco structure located at 2406-2408 Main Street. It boasted having large rooms, hot and cold water, a roof garden and adjacent barber and tailor shops and drug store.
  • 1925-1926 programs and invitations for events at the Cheri Casa Home for Boys and the Quick Dormitory Home for Boys, located at 9th Street and Avenue X, have been digitized from the Cole Scrapbook and can be viewed here.

Chitwood/Coleman/Weymouth Hall [Residence Hall]

  • Built in 1967, the dormitory cost an estimated $18,000,000 to build.

Civil Engineering

  • Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on October 8, 1969, for the new $990,000 laboratory addition, located just east of the Civil and Mechanical Engineering Building.

Classroom and Office Building [old English building?]

  • Authorization to proceed with schematic plans, #1395, 4-12-58
  • Review of schematic plans, #1576, 4-29-58
  • Approval of schematic plans, #1587, 4-29-58
  • Approve contract with Butler-Kimmel Co., #2147, 7-8-58
  • Approve preliminary plans, #2149, 7-8-58
  • Contract awarded to S. R. Duncan Construction Co., #591, 11-21-58
  • Approved contract for construction of New Classroom and Office Building, #766, 2-14-59
  • Approved a change in the specifications for the Classroom and Office Building, #1181, 3-24-59
  • Acceptance date of new Classroom and Office Building, #1103, 2-13-60

Clement Hall [Residence Hall]

  • Officially opened on September 14, 1963 and initially referred to as "Dorm Six".
  • Warren P. Clement, emeritus registrar for Texas Technological College, acknowledged his gratitude for Clement Hall being officially named after him in 1964. (BOR meeting minutes, 12-12-64)

College Farm

  • Repair two farm houses for $500 (BOR meeting minutes, 4-12-35)
  • Farm Residence, 4th and Quaker, given to Mr. Herbert H. Hall for salvage (BOR meeting minutes, 10-21-60 #569)
  • Student Housing on the farm approved, with brick veneer (BOR meeting minutes, 2-11-61 #1521)

College Inn

  • The College Inn was a women's boardinghouse.

Computer- Architecture Building

  • Approved recommendations that schematics be approved, #1422(1), 4-11-59
  • Board approved preliminary plans and specifications for building, #1955(1-2), 6-1-59
  • Approved incorporating report by Dr. R. C. Goodwin, #2690, 8-22-59
  • Approved plans for Computer-Architecture Building, #62, 9-5-59
  • Groundbreaking ceremonies for Computer-Architecture Building, #523, 11-13-59
  • Final plans for Computer-Architecture Building, #62, 9-5-59

Campus Buildings & Structures- D


Dairy Barn
  • Sketches to be prepared, 6-27-24
  • Plans to be prepared for Dairy Barn, 4-14-25
  • Plans to be prepared for Dairy Barn, 5-8-25
  • Letter to architects from Stangel & Leidigh regarding plans for the Dairy Barn, 6-26-25
  • Recommendations approved, 6-26-25
  • Contracts let for Dairy Barn, 7-20-25
  • Location to be selected, 7-20-25
  • Additional expense for plastering, 8-15-25
  • Fire in Dairy Barn did $10,000 damage, 1-28-30 p. 3
  • Appropriation of $4500 for constructing refrigeration unit at barn, 10-19-33
Dairy and Poultry Facilities
  • Preliminary plans for Dairy facilities, #2238, 5-30-60
  • Specifications for Dairy facilities, #2980, 8-20-60
  • Final plans for Dairy facilities, #2981, 8-20-60
  • Approved plans and specifications for Dairy Facilities (Milking Parlor), #1519, 2-11-61
  • Rejected all bids for Poultry Facilities, #1520, 2-11-61
Dairy Industry Creamery Building
  • Addition authorized, #1515, 2-11-61
  • Final bid accepted October 3, 1961 (Milk Receiving Facilities) from contractor W. B. Abbott #796, 11-3-61

Dairy Manufactures Building

  • Submit application for $80,000 to proper authorities in Washington, 4-12-35
  • W. C. Hedrick to be architect, 6-4-35
  • Resolution authorizing TTC to file for application for loan and grant, 6-4-35
  • Application to reduce application for building, 7-16-38
  • Authorized issuance of bonds of $60,000 to erect Dairy Manufacturing wing to the Agricultural Building, 11-15-41
  • Negotiations with finance companies to secure funds under bond issue, 11-15-41
  • Board action regarding 45 day option given Board by contractors, 11-15-41
  • Remodeling of old Dairy Manufacturing Building for Extension Department, 2-14-48

Doak Hall (Residence Hall)

  • Built in 1934, the dormitory cost an estimated $313,168 to build.
  • In 2002, Doak was changed from an upper-classman and graduate co-ed dormitory to an all male residence.

Double T Bench

Dormitories (See also under each of the dorm names, such as Weeks Hall]

  • Suggestions regarding building of dormitories, 9-6-23
  • Sketches approved for first unit of Women's Dormitories, 6-27-24
  • Girl's Dormitory to be omitted from building program, 7-29-24
  • Plans accepted for girl's dormitory but placed in custody of president, 8-27-24
  • Correspondence regarding help in construction of dormitory to help in work of the Home Economics Department, 10-28-24
  • Propositions from owners of the Easter and Gillen Dormitories, 2-4-26
  • Easter Dormitory, 10-30-26
  • Dormitory problem, 1-22-29 #10
  • Erection of dormitories, 4-16-29
  • Letter regarding financing of dorms, 10-25-30 #19
  • Communication from Dean of Women regarding living places for girls, 6-8-31 #11
  • Question of erecting dorms, 11-11-32; raised but deferred, 1-24-33; 6-5-33 #11c
  • Plans for building dorms, 9-2-33
  • Board approved filing application for a loan to build two dorms, 10-19-33
  • Report on approval of loan and grant of $650,000, 12-9-33
  • Building Committee to secure opinion on validity of bonds to be issued, 12-9-33
  • Wyatt C. Hedrick, Inc., selected architect for dorms, 12-9-33
  • Approval of location of dorms, 12-9-33
  • Bids for two dorms opened, 1-19-34
  • Use as many students in connection with erection of dorms, 1-19-34
  • Final location of girls dormitory selected, 10-19-34
  • Resolution accepting offer from the Public Works Administration for loan for Boy's Dorm, 7-16-38
  • Probable housing shortage at opening of term, 4-14-25
  • First men's dormitory erected to be "J. M. West Hall" and the second to be "Joe T. Sneed," 11-15-41
  • Girl's dormitory No. 2 to be named "Florence A. Drane Hall," 8-31-46
  • Approved housing of college athletes in Men's Dormitory No. 1, 5/9-5/10/49
  • To appoint a committee to study the naming of the unnamed dormitories on campus, 12-10-49 #361
  • Intermediate and Long-range housing plans, convert 1 men's dormitory for women; housing for athletes 10-21-60
  • Rename residence halls.  Residence Hall #5 to be named Thompson Hall for Charles C. Thompson; Residence Hall #6 to be named Gaston Hall for William Thomas Gaston; Residence Hall #7 to be named Wells Hall for Spencer A. Wells; Residence Hall #8 to be named Carpenter Hall for John W. Carpenter; #641,  10-21-60
  • One of the Men's Residence Halls was approved for use as a Women's Residence Hall for the school year 1961-1962, #944, 12-10-60
  • Letter of appreciation regarding the naming of Carpenter Hall, Attachment 20, 12-10-60
  • West Hall designated as a women's dormitory for the 1961-1962 school year, #1503, 2-11-61
  • Athletes dispersed in Sneed, Gordon and Bledsoe Halls for 1961-62, #1503A, 2-11-61
  • Preliminary plans ordered for a new women's dormitory, #1510, 2-11-61
  • New women's dormitory contract awarded to H. A. Lott, Inc., Houston, Texas, #798-802, 11-3-61

Doak Hall

  • Approve designation as Women's Dormitory, #926, 2-15-58
  • Doak Hall entrance lobby, #2733, 8-20-60

Double T Bench

  • Erected by Senior Class of 1931, 6-8-31 #16

Double T Club

  • Permission to erect a club house, location to be approved by president (BOR meeting minutes, 1-19-27)

Double T Sign (aka "The Big T")

  • The senior class of 1938 donated a electric neon Double T sign which was placed in Memorial Circle until its move to Jones Stadium. [The Tex Talks article in July 1950 claims the Double T was actually located in the area where the Science Building was built and not in Memorial Circle).
  • In 1950, the Big T was moved from its traditional spot between the Library and Chemistry buildings to east of Jones Stadium. It was moved to make room for the new science building. (Tex Talks July, 1950)

Campus Buildings & Structures- E


Engineering Building
  • Sketches approved, 6-27-24
  • Recommendations to include an engineering building, 4-18-27
  • Plans for Engineering Building, 8-8-27
  • Contracts let for building, 10-28-27
  • Engineering Building under way, 10-28-27
  • Glass used for windows, 10-28-27
  • Stone for Salle Porte roof, 10-28-27
  • Extras authorized for building, 10-28-27
  • Engineering Building accepted, 10-23-28
  • Survey of Engineering Building basement regarding ventilating system for classroom, 12-4-35
  • Expenditure for sidewalks, 2-14-47
  • Approve two additional wings be added, 5/9-5/10/49
  • The Building Committee recommends plans for a new Engineering Building to be constructed east and across the driveway from the present building, 10-15-49
  • Approved architects plans and directed construction bids be advertised, as well as directed $63,000 of original appropriations for construction of new building be earmarked for alterations to the present building, 12-10-49
Extension Division
  • Remodeling of old Dairy Manufacturing Building for Extension Division, 2-14-48

Campus Buildings & Structures- F


Faculty Club
  • Faculty Club to move into Recreation Hall, #1635, 4-9-60
  • Contract for moving of Faculty Club building, #2241, 5-30-60
Farm Residences and Facilities
  • Ratify action of Building Committee in sale of 2 buildings, #2994, 8-23-58
  • Approve purchase and erection of house, #2995 and #2996, 8-23-58
  • Approved the relocation of the farm facilities, #611, 11-21-58
  • New student housing near new farm facilities, #1644, 4-9-60
  • Farm Residence, 4th and Quaker, given to Mr. Herbert H. Hall for salvage, #569, 10-21-60

Federal Credit Union

  • Discussion of the desirability of establishing a Credit Union on campus and permission granted, #1015, 2-14-59

Football Field

  • Changing location of field referred to committee, 8-15-25
  • Relocation of field approved, 2-4-26
Fraternities and Sororities
  • Willingness to sell 10 acres of land, #178, 12-14-57
  • Agreement by Fraternities and Sororities to purchase land, #2153, 7-8-58
  • Report that the City Commission passed the ordinance to change the zoning of the Turner Tract, #1013, 2-14-59
  • Authorized Administration offices of the College to sell 10 acres of land, #1014, 2-14-59
  • President Jones reported that House Bill No. 747 was introduced, #1317, 3-24-59
  • Report that the sale of the Turner Tract was closed May 6, 1959, #1949, 6-1-59

Campus Buildings & Structures- G


Gates Hall

  • Dr. W. B. Gates and Dr. Eunice J. Gates (Mrs. W. B.) acknowledged their gratitude for Gates Hall being officially named after them in 1964. (BOR meeting minutes 12-12-64)

Golf Course

  • Faculty to establish a golf course on approval of W. L. Stangel, 2-24-32
  • Golf course to be layed out by N.Y.A., 1-28-36
Greenhouse
  • Plans referred to Building Committee, 8-8-27
  • Construction of Greenhouse started, 10-28-27
Gymnasium [see also Swimming Pool, Gymnasium & Auditorium]
  • Construction, 10-30-26
  • Payment for work done on Gymnasium, 12-4-26
  • Use of gym for community purposes, 6-5-33 #10c
  • New doors to be added, 6-5-33
  • Plans for gymnasium, 9-2-33
  • Application to the Public Works Administration for loan to construct gym-auditorium-swimming pool, 6-4-35
  • Overview of the contracts for the Gymnasium and Natatorium, #1018, 4-18-56
  • Designate Old Gymnasium as Women's Gymnasium, #1264, 4-12-58
  • Approved the employment of Brasher, Spencer and Goyette, Architects and Engineers, #384, 3-24-59
  • Approved plans and site for Women's Gymnasium, #1434, 4-11-59
  • Plans approved for Women's Gymnasium, #403, 10-10-59
  • Modification in plans approved for New Women's Gym, #528, 11-13-59
  • Inclusion of basement in New Women's Gymnasium, #746, 12-12-59
  • Change of canopy at entrance of Women's Gym, #1653, 4-9-60

Campus Buildings & Structures- H


Home Management House (also called the Practice House or General Practice House)

  • Contracts let for building, 8-8-27
  • To be ready soon, 10-28-27
  • Authorized an extra, 10-28-27
  • Radiation in house, 1-24-28

Home Economics Building

  • Contracts let to lowest bidders, date set for completion, 10-28-24
  • Correspondence regarding help in construction of dormitory to help in work of the Home Economics Department, 10-28-24
  • Lueders stone to be used, 11-11-24
  • New contract for plumbing let, 11-11-24
  • Progress being made, 6-26-25
  • Building to be accepted when completed, 7-20-25
  • Matter of electric light fixtures, 7-20-25
  • Partition to be removed, 8-8-27
  • appropriation to build annex, 1-26-35
  • Recommendations to Legislature for an appropriation for the Home Economics Building, 8-25-38
  • Appropriation to build shack building for Home Economics, 7-22-39
  • Consideration be given to construction of an addition, 5/9-5/10/49
  • approved plans for the construction of two wings to the Home Economics Building, at the estimated cost of $496,597.64, 10-15-49
  • Approved architects plans for the addition and directed construction bids be advertised, 12-10-49
  • Deferment of action on the proposed Home Management House and Nursery School facilites, #1424, 4-11-59
Horse Barn

  • To be erected when funds are available, 11-26-38
Horticulture Facilities

  • Plans to be reworked, #2237, 5-30-60
  • Contract to Plains Steel Buildings, #2481, 8-20-60

Campus Buildings & Structures- J


Junction Campus

  • Designation as a unit of Tech and facilities in Junction to be acquired on 8-1-71, 8-20-71, #165
  • Dedication and approval for development of programs, 10-8-71, #16
  • Approval of acceptance date for facilities at Junction, 8-4-72

Campus Buildings & Structures- K


KTXT-TV

  • Report on status of application for Channel 5, #373, 9-28-57
  • Approval granted for operation of Channel 5, #2165, 7-8-58
  • Approved Engineers for proposed television station, #614, 11-21-58
  • New stock judging pavilion and television station location, #1649, 4-9-60
  • Building for station, #2209, 5-30-60
  • Six month extension, #2210, 5-30-60
  • Legislative budget request, #2211, 5-30-60

Campus Buildings & Structures- L


Library

  • W. C. Hedrick selected architect for the library, 7-14-37
  • Plans and matters pertaining to the library left to the Building Committee, 7-14-37
  • Bids for library to be opened at 10-16 meeting, 9-4-37
  • Low bids for erection of library approved, 10-16-37
  • Laying of cornerstone, 12-15-37
  • Extras found necessary in construction of library, 6-6-38
  • Funds to move present library to new library building, 7-16-38
  • Library named "James V. Allred Library," 7-16-38
  • Empire Electric Company to do electrical work in library, 10-11-38
  • To cut door in wall in basement, 2-10-40
  • Contract to install elevator, 9-27-47 #18
  • Presentation of plans for new library building, #2699, 8-22-59
  • L. W. Pitts presented preliminary plans and specifications to the Board on the new library building, #2699, 8-22-59
  • Progress report on proposed new library building, #748, 12-12-59
  • Study of space in proposed library, #751, 12-12-59
  • Discard flat roof on proposed library, #753, 12-12-59
  • North and south exposures of library to be studied, #754, 12-12-59
  • Deep subsoil test at new library site, #1039, 2-13-60
  • Arches approved for new library tower, #1105, 2-13-60
  • Fourth and fifth floors of new library building, #1106, 2-13-60
  • Bids for new library building, #1107, 2-13-60
  • Study of final plans for new library, #1636, 4-9-60
  • Contract for construction of library, #2249, 5-30-60
  • Addition of north basement wing in new library, #2972, 8-30-60
  • North basement wing in new library, #2975, 8-20-60
  • Approved use of cornerstone in new library building, 10-21-60
  • Extension granted for completion of new library building, #804 11-3-61

Campus Buildings & Structures- M


Meats Laboratory
  • Architects-Engineers for Meats Laboratory Project- Haynes and Kirby, #525, 11-13-59
  • Location of Meats Laboratory, #744, 12-12-59
  • Preliminary plans approved for Meats Laboratory, #1108, 2-13-60
  • Final plans for Meats Laboratory, #1638, 4-9-60
  • Contract for Meats Laboratory, #2231, 5-30-60
Mechanical Engineering Shops
  • Approved the employment of Atcheson, Atkinson and Cartwright, Architects and Engineers, #601, 11-21-58
  • Approved the employment of Atcheson, Atkinson and Cartwright and also Davis, Foster, Thorpe and Associates as Architects and Engineers, #777, 2-14-59
  • Revised drawings for Mechanical Engineering Shops approved, #524, 11-13-59
  • Acceptance of final plans, #742, 12-12-59
  • Construction contract to Hammock Brothers, #1109, 2-13-60

Memorial Circle

  • Circle in front of Administration Building to be known as "Memorial Circle," 2-4-48
  • Expenditure for sidewalk around Circle, 2-14-48

Military Buildings

  • Appropriation for repairs on Military Building, 12-15-37
  • College facilities tendered for further use of government, 11-7-42
  • Sale of ROTC main office, #861, 2-13-60

Museum

  • Tentative location, south of bookstore, 1-28-36
  • Exterior of museum to be similar to other buildings on campus, 1-28-36
  • Question of students working on plans for museum, 1-28-36
  • Museum to be on southwest corner of block on which Men's Dormitory is built, 6-8-36
  • Museum Association to apply for Public Works Administration grant to finish museum, 5-29-39
  • Repairs on roof, 2-10-40
  • Appropriation for completion of museum, 2-14-48
Music Building
  • Practice rooms needed for Music Department, 6-6-38
  • Appropriation to build shack building for piano practice rooms, 7-22-39
  • Authorized funds to build practice house for Band, 10-4-41
  • Band to have old Dairy Manufactures Building, 10-4-41
  • Approved plans for the Music Building, at the estimated cost of $300,000.00, 10-15-49
  • Approved architects plans and directed construction bids be advertised, and requested that an additional $30,000 (or a total sum of $330,000) be allowed if needed, 12-10-49
  • Warehouse (old Band Building, war surplus) to be disposed of, #1517, 2-11-61

Campus Buildings & Structures- N


Nursery School
  • Need for space to conduct Nursery School, 6-8-36
  • Appropriation to erect temporary building for Child Development Laboratory, 9-4-37
  • Addition to Child Development Laboratory, 6-2-41

Campus Buildings & Structures- P


PanTech Farms

  • Approved recommendation that the name, Pantex Ordnance Plant, be officially changed to PanTech Farms, 12-10-49
PanTex Ordnance Plant

  • Request to U. S. Government that PanTex Ordnance Plant be given to Tech, 12-5-45
  • To confer with Board of Control regarding PanTex property, 12-5-45
  • Application to use land for wheat and grazing experiments, 5-1-46
  • contract with Federal Government regarding using PanTex for experimental purposes, 10-19-46
  • Accepted formal contract to transfer PanTex Ordnance Plant to Texas Tech, 4-11-49
  • Release dated September 29, 1960 between the United States of America and Texas Technological College for PanTex Ordnance Works.  Attachment 10, 10-21-60
  • Approved resolutions in connection with the transfer of the Pantex Ordnance Plant from the General Services Administration to Texas Tech, 12-10-49
  • Approved recommendation that the name, Pantex Ordnance Plant, be officially changed to PanTech Farms, 12-10-49

Petroleum Engineering Building

  • Appropriation to complete building, 7-10-48
  • Approved laboratory buildings, 10-15-49
  • Approved architects plans for the addition and directed construction bids be advertised, 12-10-49
Physical Plant

  • Maintenance shop to be erected, 4-6-40
  • Expenditure for a garage and lumber storage building, 2-14-48
  • Erection of a warehouse on campus, handling garbage at dorms, 5-1-43
  • Final plans for Physical Plant facilities, #1640, 4-9-60
  • Contract for construction of Physical Plant and Printing Press facilities, #2235, 5-30-60
Plant Industry

  • Construction of a Plant Industry Shop, 2-14-47
Poultry Plant

  • Plans to be prepared, 4-14-25
  • Plans and specifications to be prepared, 5-8-25
  • Plans approved for Poultry Plant, 6-26-25
  • All bids rejected, 7-20-25 and 8-15-25
  • Deferred action on Poultry facilities, #2239, 5-30-60
  • Specifications for Poultry facilities approved, #2981, 8-20-60
  • Final plans and specifications approved #938, 12-10-60
  • Rejected all bids for Poultry Facilities, #1520, 2-11-61

Power Plant

  • Sketches approved, plans and specifications to be prepared, 8-27-24
  • Plans and specifications to be ready for next meeting, 10-2-24
  • Plans for power plant adopted, 10-28-24
  • Request from Board to bidders regarding power house and heating, 11-11-24
  • Contracts to be let for lines to Administration Building and Home Economics Building, 1-6-25
  • Sewer lines to be connected to line of City of Lubbock, 1-6-25
  • Requested appropriation of $171,000 from legislature, 1-6-25
  • Low bids tabulated for tunnels, etc., specifications to be revised, 4-14-25
  • Low bidders reported for tunnels, etc., contracts to be let, 5-8-25
  • Oil to be used in heating plant, 7-20-25
  • Laying of pipe, 8-15-25
  • Design for heating plant, 10-27-25
  • Inspection of heating plant, 10-27-25
  • Bids to be opened on construction of the power house, 9-18-34
  • Move and erect power plant recently purchased, 4-12-47
Printing Plant Facilities
  • Final plans for Printing Press facilities, #1641, 4-9-60
  • Contract for construction of Physical Plant and Printing Press facilities, #2235, 5-30-60
Psychology
  • Board approved spending $245 to alter Building X-% to house the Department of Psychology, #3067, 8-12-50

President's Home

  • Plans and specifications approved, 6-27-24
  • Bids tabulated, 6-27-24
  • construction contract to J. W. Maxey, 6-27-24
  • Heating contract to Texas Heating & Ventilating Company, 6-27-24
  • Plumbing contract, L. Holt, 6-27-24
  • Wiring, Rigsbey Electric Company, 6-27-24
  • Remodeling and changes to be made in President's Home, 8-14-48

Campus Buildings & Structures- Q


Quonset Huts
  • Sheet metal buildings to be placed on campus, 3-30-46

Campus Buildings & Structures- R


Rodeo
  • Board directed the College to select a new tract of land for the Tech Rodeo Association, #732, 2-14-59

Campus Buildings & Structures- S


Scoreboard
  • Obtaining a scoreboard for Athletic Field to be investigated, 5-8-48
  • Appropriation for electric scoreboard, 6-7-48 #4
  • Offer by the Avalanche-Journal to supply a scoreboard, 6-7-48 p.8
  • Gift of 1943 graduating class funds to be used toward purchase of a scoreboard, 8-14-48
Science Building

  • Recommendations for a Science Building, 4-18-27
  • Appropriation made for building, 10-28-27
  • Plans to be made, 10-28-27
  • Recommends the construction of a Science Building be pushed as rapidly as possible, and that it be sited at "the west end of the mall facing the entrance; to the west of and between the Chemistry Building and the Library Building," 10-15-49
  • Approved architects plans and directed construction bids be advertised, 12-10-49
  • Change the name from "Science Building" to "Science," #371, 11-1-52
  • Cost of $380 to change the inscription in the frieze over the entrance from "Science Building" to "Science," #763, 2-12-53
  • Science addition, #2982, 8-20-60
  • Approved final plans and specifications for addition, 12-10-60
  • Contract awrded to Carl E. Maxey Construction Company, #1523, Attachment 30, 31, 2-11-61
Seal and Shield

  • Adopted general plan of the shield. Asked for revised copy, 10-28-24
  • Official seal and shield not adopted as yet, 10-30-26
Seismological Observatory
  • Approved the name, Texas Technological Seismological Observatory, and appointed Dr. Leroy T. Patton as the director, 12-10-49 #358

Site for Texas Technological College

  • Board to look over site at Lubbock for Texas Tech, 8-28-23
  • Survey of land for Texas Tech site, 8-28-23
  • Question of who to look after land deferred, 9-6-23
  • Lease of tillable land, 10-31-23
  • Land surveyed by S. M. Swenson and Sons, 10-31-23
  • Resolution to be tendered to Attorney General W. W. Caves, 10-31-23
  • Sale of house on site, 3-28-24

Sneed Hall

  • Renaming of "Men's Residence Hall No. 2," the second dormitory building on the Tech campus, to "Joe T. Sneed Hall," 11/15/41

Southwest Collection

  • Approved the housing of the Southwest Collection in the present Library building, #612, 11-21-58

Stadium [later to be called "Jones Stadium"]

  • Application to the Public Works Administration for $80,000 for stadium, 4-12-35
  • Resolution changed from $80,000 to $150,000, 6-4-35
  • W. C. Hedrick to be architect for stadium, 6-4-35
  • Resolution passed regarding loan and grant for construction of stadium, 12-4-35
  • Contract between Tech and W. C. Hedrick, 12-4-35
  • President and business manager to open bids on stadium project, 12-4-35
  • Tabulation of bids on stadium, 1-28-36
  • Amendment to original stadium applications, 1-28-36
  • Stadium to be immediately west of present stadium, 1-28-36
  • Trip to Washington regarding stadium if necessary, 1-28-36
  • To amend application and make it for $75,000, 4-1-36
  • S. A. Wells to confer with people interested in stadium, 4-1-36
  • S. A. Wells outlined plans for procedure to stadium situation, 6-8-36
  • Athletic Council to enter into agreement to construct a wooden stadium, 6-8-36
  • Stadium completed, 9-26-36
  • Regarding federal application for money to build stadium, 9-26-36
  • Paying balance due on stadium loan, 1-26-38
  • Use of stadium for ten round fight rejected, 7-22-39
  • Installation of lights at football field and stadium, 10-4-41
  • Offer of Clifford B. Jones to purchase bonds for new stadium, 10-4-41
  • Board accepted offer of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford B. Jones, 12-5-45
  • Board to underwrite $50,000 worth of bonds, 12-5-45
  • Ex-Students Association asked to help in raising funds, 12-5-45
  • Architect to be selected, plans arranged and contract to be let, 3-30-46
  • Board approved sale of $100,000 worth of bonds to Clifford B. Jones, 3-30-46
  • Board voted appropriation of $50m000 toward erection of stadium, 3-30-46
  • Location of stadium, 6-3-46
  • Building Committee to help regarding stadium construction, 10-19-46
  • Plans approved, to advertise for bids for construction, 1-16-47
  • Authorized issuance of $125,000 bonds for stadium, 4-12-47
  • Boys Club Rodeo to be held in stadium, 4-12-47
  • Passed bond resolution authorizing issuance of $125,000 of bonds, 6-2-47
  • Tech Foundation to approve contracts covering balance of sta. const., 6-2-47
  • Use of Jones Stadium by Lubbock Independent School District, 2-14-47
  • Use of Jones Stadium by A.B.C. for rodeo, 2-14-47
  • Policy covering use of Jones Stadium, 2-14-47
  • Use of stadium by Lubbock and Plainview Jr. Chambers of Commerce, 5-8-48
  • Preliminary report on proposed enlargement of stadium, #266, 10-6-56
  • Name of stadium not to be changed, #267, 10-6-56
  • Report on plans for enlargement, #1394, 4-13-57
  • Contract with W. C. Hedrick, #1728, 6-3-57
  • Report on stadium expansion program, #716, 12-14--57
  • Approved and revised plans and specifications for the Stadium Expansion Program, #1321, 3-24-59
  • Board gave tentative approval of the revised preliminary plans for the Athletic Building, #186, 9-16-58
  • Relocate fences at the Stadium to lower the rails on three stairways and two side stands.  "The rails, as installed, are exactly at eye level and must be lowered." #383, 10-21-60
  • Purchase 150 chairs for press box, #385, 10-21-60
Stock Judging Pavilion [also called the "Livestock Judging Pavilion"]
  • Sketches were submitted, bids to be called for, 6-27-24
  • Bids received, contracts to be signed, 8-27-24
  • Payment for Pavilion to be paid for from Special Fund, 8-27-24
  • Extra approved for weather stripping, 4-14-25
  • Pavilion accepted, 4-14-25
  • New stock judging pavilion and television station, #1649, 4-9-60

Student Union Building (SUB, also called the University Center or "UC" and "Recreation Hall")

  • Interest in securing funds for a Student Union Building, 6-6-44
  • Surplus buildings to be made usable for campus student center, 7-26-47
  • Resolution to Lubbock citizens for money to buy equipment for Recreation Hall, 9-27-47
  • Proceed with construction plans for a Student Union Building not to exceed $500,000, 10/15/49
  • Approved the planning for the new building and recommended immediately securing construction funds, 10-15-49
  • Bonds and funds for new building, 12-10-49
  • Suspension of plans to expand the SUB, #1022, 4-18-56
  • Student Union Addition, #401, 10-10-59
  • Student Union Addition plans and loan application, #745, 12-12-59
  • Plans and specifications for Student Union Addition, #2243, 5-30-60
  • Contract with V & N Construction Co. for Student Union addition, #2983, 8-20-60
  • Accepted final plans and specifications for addition, #1525, 2-11-61
  • Naming of the facility as the Student Recreation Building #M91, 2-8-80
Swimming Pool, Gymnasium and Auditorium
  • To submit application for $300,000 to authorities in Washington, 4-12-35
  • W. C. Hedrick to be architect, 6-4-35
  • Application for $300,000 loan and grant to aid financing construction, 6-4-35

Campus Buildings & Structures- T


J. T. and Margaret Talkington Hall (originally referred to as the Boston Avenue Residence Hall)

  • The 178,000 square-foot, LEED certified facility, located at 18th and Boston, officially opened on August 16, 2012, approximately 15 months after its groundbreaking.
  • The Commons by United Supermarkets had its ribbon cutting ceremony on August 29, 2012.
Tech Press
  • All documents approved relative to Press building, 8-10-40
  • Press Building project and tentative location approved, 8-10-40
  • Location left to Ad. Officers of College, 8-10-40
  • Architect to change specifications for Press Building, 12-6-40
  • Project of addition to Press Building approved, 4-24-48
Tennis Courts
  • Gift of a concrete tennis court fromt eh 1937 graduating class, 6-1-37
  • Request to borrow money to build three additional tennis courts, 1-28-38
  • Six tennis and handball courts to be constructed. Fee of $1, 6-1-42
  • Approved expenditure for erection of playing courts, 2-14-47
  • Authorized M. L. Pennington to proceed with the construction of two tennis courts, #1958, 6-1-59
  • Approve incorporating in the Minutes for record purposes a copy of the contract with the James W. Walker Company, #2559, 8-22-59
Texas Agricultural Experiment Station

  • Upon motion by Mr. Wall, the Board referred the proposal submitted by Dr. G. W.Thomas, entitled "A Proposal for Re-location of the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, Substation No. 8, on Texas Technological College Land," #1031, 2-14-59

Textile Engineering Building

  • Sketches approved, 6-27-24
  • Proceed with specifications, secure bids, 8-27-24
  • Contracts let to lowest bidders, date of completion set, 10-28-24
  • Lueders stone to be used, 11-11-24
  • New contract for plumbing let, 11-11-24
  • Request for $140,000 from Legislature, 1-6-25
  • Securing of textile equipment, 4-14-25
  • Letter regarding donations of $40,000 worth of equipment, 5-8-25
  • Donations listed so that contracts can be let for $100,000, 5-8-25
  • Large room reserved for Freshman and Sophomore students, 6-26-25
  • Progress being made on building, 6-26-25
  • Building to be accepted when completed, 7-20-25
  • Textile equipment, 7-20-25
  • Contracts for equipment, 7-20-25
  • Payment for building, 8-15-25
  • Installation of power, contract let, 8-15-25
  • Payment of full contract price, 10-27-25
  • Closing of cloister of building, 8-8-27
  • Construction of a skylight in building, 4-6-40
  • Review of plans for addition to Textile Engineering, #1576, 4-29-58
  • Approved the contract for the new addition to Textile Engineering, #2146, 7-8-58
  • Approved negotiating with W. B. Abbott and company, #781, 2-14-59
  • Approved the recommendations of the Building Committee, #1423, 4-11-59
  • Textile Engineering Building - new building, #214, 10-10-59
  • Naming of seminar room in the Textile Engineering Building, #530, 11-13-59

Track

  • Track for outdoor track meets to be made, 2-4-26
  • Possibility of a secondary stadium in the area of the Texas Tech Track for use by the public schools, #1018, 2-14-59
  • Renegotiate erection of bleachers by West Texas Steel Erectors, #1528, 2-11-61

Campus Buildings & Structures- V


Veterinary Science Building
  • Post-mortem room working drawings approved, #1529, 2-11-61
  • Final acceptance date of 9-12-61 for the Post-Mortem Room contractor H. C. Lewis, Lubbock, TX, 11-3-61

Campus Buildings & Structures- W


Wall Hall

  • C. I. "Stoney" Wall, a Board of Regent member, acknowledged his gratitude for Wall Hall being officially named after him in 1964. (BOR meeting minutes 12-12-64)
Weeks Hall
  • Designation of Margaret Watson Weeks Dormitory, #733, 12-14-57
  • Excerpt of letter from Miss Margaret W. Weeks, #897, 2-15-57
West Hall
  • Renaming of the "Men's Dormitory No.1," the first dormitory building, to "J. M. West Hall," 11/15/41
  • Approved housing of college athletes in Men's Dormitory No. 1, 5/9-5/10/49
  • Approved set up for the housing of athletes in Men's Dormitory no. 1, effective September 1, 1949, 5/30/49

Will Rogers Statue

  • Gift of Bronze statue of Will Rogers from Amon G. Carter, 6-7-48 p. 7

Campus Buildings & Structures- X


X-Building
  • Approved the recommendation of the Building Committee of the Board concerning the war surplus buildings, #3680, 8-22-59
  • Renovation of two x-buildings, #1110, 2-13-60
  • Sale of X-building - Engineering, #1117. 2-13-60
  • Approval of taking bids to sell buildings X-1, X-2 and X-5, #612, 10-21-60
  • Building X-5 held a kiln which was moved to the basement of the new Architecture-Computer Building, 12-10-60
  • Building X-1 sold to Lorenzo Independent Public School District for $1,500.00, 12-10-60
  • Building X-5 sold to Lorenzo Jaycees for $1,000.00, 12-10-60
  • Building X-2 sold to Mr. A. E. Oliphint for $700.00, 12-10-60

Back to the University Archives TTU Historical Tidbits Page

 
Contact the Reference Archivist  l  TTU  l  Search  l  Workstation Use Policy